Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GIS Help

• 11-08-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi! I am having trouble with ArcGIS and I was hoping somebody could help me. Is it possible to transform a jpeg/regular picture of a map into GIS so that it recognises the breakdown of different sections. For example, my project is mapping the soil carbon storage of Ireland which has 5 ranges and when I transform it to vector polygons it just recognises the whole of ireland as one plain polygon. Sorry if im not clear!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

GIS Stress wrote: »
    Hi! I am having trouble with ArcGIS and I was hoping somebody could help me. Is it possible to transform a jpeg/regular picture of a map into GIS so that it recognises the breakdown of different sections. For example, my project is mapping the soil carbon storage of Ireland which has 5 ranges and when I transform it to vector polygons it just recognises the whole of ireland as one plain polygon. Sorry if im not clear!

Yeh, you're essentially going to have to digitise your map by drawing lots and lots of polygons (manually of course, unless you know a wee bit of python or something). Do you have the Corine dataset for your site? This is a handy site for finding the Corine data. There's a thread over in the Geography Forum, that you might find very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

You could trying writing a code in Python to do some digitising for you but I suspect that could turn out to be an absolute nightmare knowing the way Arc loves to get grumpy. Your best bet might be digitising it manually by creating lots and lots of polygons by hand. As I said you could trying coding it but to be honest I wouldn't have the first clue about how to go about doing that.

You could have a look at the ArcGIS help forums on ESRI's website, you might have better luck asking for help there but it can be a bit of a minefield trying to get through a lot of the techno babble that people inevitably sprout at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GIS Stress

Thank you both for your reply! I have started drawing the polygons (its gona take awhile!) Cheers.

Advertisement