Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up VPN to run through Zyxel F1000 Modem

Options
  • 11-08-2013 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a happy customer of E-Fibre, no problems so far other than about 2 or 3 drops in connection, resolved with a simple modem reboot.
    I've had a subscription to a VPN service for the past couple of months, and it's working great. However, with each new device, I have to manually set it up. I was wondering if I could set up the router to always log in to the VPN, instead of having to do it on each device.
    Upon logging into my Zyxel F1000 through the web GUI (at the moment, I'm running a desktop and a laptop both with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, wired to the modem, while roommate has an iPad 2 wirelessly), I click on Security at the bottom, then I see IPSec VPN. Is that where I set up the connection to the VPN?
    Which settings do I copy over from my Win 7 VPN login? Which of the options in IPSec VPN -> Add New Connection do I need to bother with? The email I have from my VPN service has a list of addresses for their servers, along with my username and password. The server type is SSTP. Here's what options are currently selected in Windows.
    83ll.jpg83ll.jpg

I already have OpenDNS configured on the Zyxel, so I won't need to worry about DNS servers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm a happy customer of E-Fibre, no problems so far other than about 2 or 3 drops in connection, resolved with a simple modem reboot.
    I've had a subscription to a VPN service for the past couple of months, and it's working great. However, with each new device, I have to manually set it up. I was wondering if I could set up the router to always log in to the VPN, instead of having to do it on each device.
    Upon logging into my Zyxel F1000 through the web GUI (at the moment, I'm running a desktop and a laptop both with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, wired to the modem, while roommate has an iPad 2 wirelessly), I click on Security at the bottom, then I see IPSec VPN. Is that where I set up the connection to the VPN?
    Which settings do I copy over from my Win 7 VPN login? Which of the options in IPSec VPN -> Add New Connection do I need to bother with? The email I have from my VPN service has a list of addresses for their servers, along with my username and password. The server type is SSTP. Here's what options are currently selected in Windows.
    83ll.jpg83ll.jpg

I already have OpenDNS configured on the Zyxel, so I won't need to worry about DNS servers.

Hi RikuoAmero,

The best advice I can offer is to contact our technical support team on 1890 260 260 (telephone number and option 0)
    They will be able to help you with this issue.

Thanks

Tracey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 djohnsongmx

I am trying to get this to work for my own company. We have an office in the US and we are trying to connect back to our site in Dublin. We find that if the Site-To-Site VPN connection is initiated from the US side, then the IKE Phase 1 never even starts. However if I initiate the connection from the Irish side, it works fine. I have eliminated everything except the F1000, which appears to not allow the VPN traffic through to our firewall (possibly because it is a VPN device itself and assumes that it should be handling the traffic).

Has anybody got a fix for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I am trying to get this to work for my own company. We have an office in the US and we are trying to connect back to our site in Dublin. We find that if the Site-To-Site VPN connection is initiated from the US side, then the IKE Phase 1 never even starts. However if I initiate the connection from the Irish side, it works fine. I have eliminated everything except the F1000, which appears to not allow the VPN traffic through to our firewall (possibly because it is a VPN device itself and assumes that it should be handling the traffic).

Has anybody got a fix for this?
    Sorry to hear this djohnsongmx

Unfortunately eircom cannot assist or support VPN arrangements however other users are most welcome to post their advice below.

Here is a link to the F1000 user manual though: https://business.eircom.net/media/modem_user_guide.pdf

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement