Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Nice UKMO for next Friday

UN144-21_esy2.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Not a good forecast from Gerry shleet murphy :(

So much potential in FI

ECH1-168_wzo2.GIF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 finnbob123

Not a good forecast from Gerry shleet murphy :(
    ya I agree, is it just me or does he always try to ruin the fun
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

finnbob123 wrote: »
    ya I agree, is it just me or does he always try to ruin the fun
    :(

Yes he's evil :p. But on a more serious note he is the most "safe/reserved" forecaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 finnbob123

Weathering wrote: »
    Yes he's evil :p. But on a more serious note he is the most "safe/reserved" forecaster
    yes I strongly agree and he doesn't throw out these bizarre comments, but I wish he could give us some good news for once:)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

at the risk of encountering the wrath of most on here, im not hoping for snow( just yet) the thoughts of driving to work in the snow or worse still getting stuck in work :eek: because of the snow is not that appealing ... id much rather wait till say... xmas when im off and can enjoy the white stuff with the kids...but its a good sign i suppose that the cold air if pushing in so early:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

From the 12z on most runs we can safely say there is no raging Atlantic making a return any time soon. Cool without being v. cold but clear nights and severe frosts and fog. I would take that at this time of year any day. Just a pre Winter taste before the season arrives in earnest ;)

EDH101-240_iyh4.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Can anyone tell me what the run Vieux run ( > 24h ) on the ukmo charts mean it is also on the jma charts on the meteociel web page . Its a new run to me:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Nothing too exciting on the morning's output though ECM is again trying to build high pressure into greenland area from144 hours onward. This leads to cokd uppers flooding from north east across the low countries and France with a wedge of high pressure keeping things settled here. Lots of potential I would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ZX7R wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the run Vieux run ( > 24h ) on the ukmo charts mean it is also on the jma charts on the meteociel web page . Its a new run to me:confused:

Run which is over 24 hours old. Missing data/delayed.

I think high ground in the northwest could see a couple of inches of snow from showers Monday evening to Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

From reading the comments here I was under the impression that we were only expecting 1 or 2 days of cold weather next week, but after looking at the met eireann website it looks pretty good for us cold lovers? correct me if I'm wrong though! http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

123 LC wrote: »
    From reading the comments here I was under the impression that we were only expecting 1 or 2 days of cold weather next week, but after looking at the met eireann website it looks pretty good for us cold lovers? correct me if I'm wrong though! http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

A short blast of cold upper air, giving a brief window for wintry precipitation, after that it looks like being cold/cool but dry with high pressure moving over us. The "wrong" type of cold for people looking for snow, which is what I think most people here are interested in. But what happens after the next few days is not set in stone either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A short blast of cold upper air, giving a brief window for wintry precipitation, after that it looks like being cold/cool but dry with high pressure moving over us. The "wrong" type of cold for people looking for snow, which is what I think most people here are interested in. But what happens after the next few days is not set in stone either.

The 12z's continuing this theme with High Pressure dominating after the low passes through mid week. The Atlantic kept at bay well into FI. Some severe frosts on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But dry! and hopefully blazing sun. That's the only cold I am willing to put up with.

Actually that's a lie - its not like I fly out when it snows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I will take Dry, Freezing Cold, and Sunny weather all week, because its rained here all day since about 6am :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Big improvements with the ECM this morning. The rollercoaster ride continues

HIRLAM showing snow showers over high ground in the northwest tonight. Probably cold rain or sleet at lower levels, though could turn to snow there at times too.

KlFcMSE.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

such a great ECMWF at 96hrs but doesn't quite take off amazingly thereafter

but i will bank this at 96hrs for future potential.

Recm961.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Anyone looking at the 06z GFS? Looks like potential for some nasty weather on the east coast at t+66 (midnight Wednesday). That low seems to have shifted slightly from the last run and is in a better position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

arctictree wrote: »
    Anyone looking at the 06z GFS? Looks like potential for some nasty weather on the east coast at t+66 (midnight Wednesday). That low seems to have shifted slightly from the last run and is in a better position.

I don't think it will be too bad. Wouldn't be surprised to see white mountains by Thursday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I see James Madden is saying this will be one of ther worst winters in 100 years. Is there any substance to back that up or is it all hot air with him to get himself noticed?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

HIRLAM showing snow showers over high ground in the northwest tonight. Probably cold rain or sleet at lower levels, though could turn to snow there at times too.

Latest forecast from ME:

Cold tonight with clear periods, further showers overnight, mostly affecting Ulster, Connaught and parts of west Munster, these showers are likely to be wintry in northern and northwestern counties, some of snow, most especially on higher ground but at lower levels also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

kstand wrote: »
    I see James Madden is saying this will be one of ther worst winters in 100 years. Is there any substance to back that up or is it all hot air with him to get himself noticed?

If he was alive the past 100 years he would be saying this every single one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Snow warning for parts of ulster and Connaught on met eireann website for tonight and tomorrow on met eireann website. Interesting to see such cold weather so early, very similar to when it started in 2010

• Advertisement

Could be some dodgy icy roads tomorrow morning.
    STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Occasional showers of sleet and snow are expected overnight and early Tuesday morning in Ulster and parts of Connacht and Kerry. Possible accumulations of 1 to 3cm below 250m with icy stretches also.

Issued:Monday 18 November 2013 11:00

Valid:Monday 18 November 2013 18:00 to Tuesday 19 November 2013 10:00

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement