Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

And for that matter, has the Donegal postman come out with any sort of forecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

kstand wrote: »
    And for that matter, has the Donegal postman come out with any sort of forecast?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/postman-michael-predicts-white-christmas-in-many-parts-of-country-249786.html :D

Postman Michael predicts white Christmas in many parts of country

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Ireland’s most famous amateur weatherman has predicted a white Christmas for many areas.

Postman Michael Gallagher is famous for his forecasts through studying the behaviour of plants and animals.

While Met Éireann says there is little sign of snow, the Co Donegal weather-watcher says all the signs are that we are in for a white festive season.

Michael said he is even pulling his skis out of cold storage, so confident is he of snow in December.

“All the indications and signs are that we will have a lot of snow in December and we could well have a white Christmas,” he said.

“There is an orange glow from the sun that old people used to always associate with heavy falls of snow. Not just that but the bushes are heavily laden with berries for birds to feed on during the cold weather.

“It may not be as cold as the very harsh winter of 2011 but we’re definitely in for snow and very possibly at Christmas.”

Michael still gathers knowledge and information from old people on his postal round in the hills of Glenfin in Donegal.

He famously cost bookmaker Paddy Power more than €70,000 when they paid out early on a white Christmas which he predicted some years back.

Michael, whose book, Traditional Weather Signs, is a bestseller, said he hoped to get out on the hills of Donegal to use skis which a Norwegian friend gave him as a present.

Cold air from the north will descend on the country on Monday, with the potential for significant snow falls on Wednesday, says Irish Weather Online.

Met Éireann forecasters, however, do not guarantee snow, but are predicting a “very cold” week with some “wintry showers”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

cotton wrote: »

As he did last year and we all know how that turned out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056788223

Really wish these long range "forecasts" and nature pattern predictions could be banned from this site and the media in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Met Office have heavy snow for parts of Northern Ireland missing Derry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    As he did last year and we all know how that turned out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056788223

Really wish these long range "forecasts" and nature pattern predictions could be banned from this site and the media in general.

Well to be fair, he got the timing wrong. Snow did come but not till March. Yes, he shouldn't have used "white Christmas" but he did and he's known to cause ultimate despair amongst users who love snow on boards.ie :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

And so.... IT BEGINS!

280895.png

tumblr_ltdcmumKWy1qii6tmo1_500.gif

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/postman-michael-predicts-white-christmas-in-many-parts-of-country-249786.html :D

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Ireland’s most famous amateur weatherman has predicted a white Christmas for many areas.

Postman Michael Gallagher is famous for his forecasts through studying the behaviour of plants and animals.

While Met Éireann says there is little sign of snow, the Co Donegal weather-watcher says all the signs are that we are in for a white festive season.

Michael said he is even pulling his skis out of cold storage, so confident is he of snow in December.

“All the indications and signs are that we will have a lot of snow in December and we could well have a white Christmas,” he said.

“There is an orange glow from the sun that old people used to always associate with heavy falls of snow. Not just that but the bushes are heavily laden with berries for birds to feed on during the cold weather.

“It may not be as cold as the very harsh winter of 2011 but we’re definitely in for snow and very possibly at Christmas.”

Michael still gathers knowledge and information from old people on his postal round in the hills of Glenfin in Donegal.

He famously cost bookmaker Paddy Power more than €70,000 when they paid out early on a white Christmas which he predicted some years back.

Michael, whose book, Traditional Weather Signs, is a bestseller, said he hoped to get out on the hills of Donegal to use skis which a Norwegian friend gave him as a present.

Cold air from the north will descend on the country on Monday, with the potential for significant snow falls on Wednesday, says Irish Weather Online.

Met Éireann forecasters, however, do not guarantee snow, but are predicting a “very cold” week with some “wintry showers”.

I live in London adn I notice the berry and fruit bearing trees and bushes here in London have been very heavily laden with berries this last 4 or 5 weeks - like they were 3 years ago. Time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hmmm... time to come out of hibernation me thinks. (8 months 1 week since last post here.)

Nice to see a few familiar faces :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

This is the only quote that matters. As long as he got it right once the media will keep talking to him. It doesn't matter whether he ever gets it right again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Evelyn will be greatly displeased with ye all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

kstand wrote: »
    I live in London adn I notice the berry and fruit bearing trees and bushes here in London have been very heavily laden with berries this last 4 or 5 weeks - like they were 3 years ago. Time will tell I suppose.

So are you saying you think the fruit trees know in the Autumn that its going to snow on Christmas day?

Maybe they are heavily laden due to good growing conditions during the summer and autumn?

Like the grass didn't grow this spring because growing conditions were unfavourable (it was exceptionally cold this spring)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Iancar29 wrote: »
    And so.... IT BEGINS!

I do not care about counties other than Cork so :(........ :P

relaxed wrote: »
    So are you saying you think the fruit trees know in the Autumn that its going to snow on Christmas day?

Maybe they are heavily laden due to good growing conditions during the summer and autumn?

Like the grass didn't grow this spring because growing conditions were unfavourable (it was exceptionally cold this spring)

Thats quite possible as well - why not.
    But i do recall 3 years ago that the trees and bushes were heavily laden with berries and then we had a terrificly cold end to November and all the way up to Christmas Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Let's not forget the postman is predicting a white Christmas in the Donegal hills and not an inch of snow on Clery's Clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

GFS 12Z.... cool to cold, but we'll have to wait for anything special. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 finnbob123

i think this videos pretty much sums up what ken ring was saying about snow in the last few days of the month
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTFyV68CBtE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Funny how snow in Ireland doesn't even come as a surprise anymore. Since January 2010 we have seen so much of it. Mad to think for so many years prior to 2010 we were getting so little. Bring on the fear sneachta !

according to met eireann there is a chance of snow tonight.
    https://www.rte.ie/weather/

finnbob123 wrote: »
    i think this videos pretty much sums up what ken ring was saying about snow in the last few days of the month
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTFyV68CBtE

I think Ken went with cool around now, then mild then coldest around month end.

That forecast seems to be cold for the next 10 days, which I don't think Ken really predicted.

relaxed wrote: »
    I think Ken went with cool around now, then mild then coldest around month end.

That forecast seems to be cold for the next 10 days, which I don't think Ken really predicted.
    oh now that you mention that I think your right ah well at least we are getting cold (or at least cool) weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

No snow warning for Louth :(

❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄
    ❄❄. ❄❄❄❄❄❄❄. ❄❄❄❄
    :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

light shower of sleet just passed here, feeling bitter but not really expecting anything other than a frost here tonight in meath.

finnbob123 wrote: »
    oh now that you mention that I think your right ah well at least we are getting cold (or at least cool) weather

That's the main thing, cool crisp days, snow being a bonus.

Damn better than boring mild misty muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

just copped this on facebook from uk weather forcast site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8myiELDXpdU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Disappointed with the weather and the volume of posts.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's still only autumn. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

ECMWF is going for cold, I would not trust it. The fact that CFS is not going for it.

FI chats are just that, things can change allot in a week with this weather.

My view is a mix of the two, which would equal near normal weather\temperature for this time of the year.

FI = +96hrs at the moment for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

What does that entail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Ladies & Gentleman just had the first snow shower of winter 2013. Not much but it still counts. Not a hope of it sticking. Am I excited much you ask ???

timanderic3.jpg?w=640&h=355

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement