Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yay snow! :)

Edit in athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Bring....it....OOONNNNN!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Snow here.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

ch750536 wrote: »
    Snow here.

For mobile users, where's here?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Light dusting here in Dundalk, footpaths, grass and roads very icy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

For mobile users, where's here?

Abbeyfeale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

dopolahpec wrote: »
    GFS 0z looks grim. No more cold for a while. Wonder what the ECM will have? My money's on GFS though

Looks almost balmy at times on the GFS with 8 uppers the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

2 images from Glenshane Pass last night.

Thanks to Martin McKenna (www.nightskyhunter.com) for this image. Glenshane Pass at 6:00am this morning.
    1466179_518632721565499_1407083391_n.jpg

Snow capped Benbradagh mountain (Glenshane Pass) under bright moonlight by Paul Martin (http://www.tyroneskies.com)
    1450808_518641058231332_835010348_n.jpg

1 image from outside of Derry in Eglinton, with only a light dusting of snow unfortunately :(

857971_559579480791243_44930715_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Small bit of snow in cork! (not in the city obviously but in county cork :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tcullen

Great photos. Love this thread. Looks like you have a very transparent person standing in the door way:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

857971_559579480791243_44930715_o.jpg

GHOST AT DOOR

47ab7eb8698a67db.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Dusting in Roundwood this morning - cars/ grass/ decking. None really on the road (not that it stopped some people crawling along at 40kph).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Dusting in Roundwood this morning - cars/ grass/ decking. None really on the road (not that it stopped some people crawling along at 40kph).

Its called being safe... :confused:

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Its called being safe... :confused:
    Failing to make reasonable progress isn't safe - you'd fail your driving test for it. The roads were clear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

With reports of black ice on roads and driving with summer tyres, safe is what I'd called it too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Less that 30 posts about snow on the ground over the space of 12 hours, you'd know there was no snow in Dublin :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Less that 30 posts about snow on the ground over the space of 12 hours, you'd know there was no snow in Dublin :pac:;)

Cynicism will get you nowhere :rolleyes:

Tabnabs wrote: »
    With reports of black ice on roads and driving with summer tyres, safe is what I'd called it too.
    I'm not sure it's the right thread, so I'll just agree to disagree - along, no doubt, with the circa 20 other drivers stuck in a long line behind the one "safe" driver on the road. They weren't safe enough to be using their mirrors, or if they were, aware enough to pull in, to let other vehicles that felt it was safe enough to go faster, pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's the right thread

Mod Note
    It's not. Everyone's made their point so lets get back to the weather
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Refusing not to call this a snow event in Castlebar this morning!:-)

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Cynicism will get you nowhere :rolleyes:

Mind you're eyes don't role the whole way round there Vic... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lenny5 wrote: »

Great to look at but you just hope nobody was killed or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lenny5 wrote: »

Hope you drove at 40kph, looks dangerous!! :pac:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

123 LC wrote: »
    Small bit of snow in cork! (not in the city obviously but in county cork :P)
    What part of County Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Just wondering if others would agree that there is need for another thread now called something like, "what's the weather like where you are", and keep this thread for model watching/weather forecasting only? Was that done last year I think?

It just seems like there's room for another thread to start now, what does anyone else think? I know there will inevitably be crossover between the two at times, but I do think this thread needs to be more science based. Apologies if I'm wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

morebabies wrote: »
    Just wondering if others would agree that there is need for another thread now called something like, "what's the weather like where you are", and keep this thread for model watching/weather forecasting only? Was that done last year I think?

It just seems like there's room for another thread to start now, what does anyone else think? I know there will inevitably be crossover between the two at times, but I do think this thread needs to be more science based. Apologies if I'm wrong.

I agree. I'd like to see a thread solely devoted to computer models and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

morebabies wrote: »

There is already a Current Conditions November 2013 thread to report what the weather is like where you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

There is already a Current Conditions November 2013 thread to report what the weather is like where you are.

I think he is just suggesting this thread should be for technical discussion only and another thread set up for the likes of all the non technical posts that are currently here but also wouldn't be appropriate for the "Current conditions thread"

Such a system worked well in the past so hopefully it will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    I think he is just suggesting this thread should be for technical discussion only and another thread set up for the likes of all the non technical posts that are currently here but also wouldn't be appropriate for the "Current conditions thread"

Such a system worked well in the past so hopefully it will return.

Yeah it's not a bad idea, perhaps when we are closer to a potential winter "event" happening. Right now the models are in good agreement with sending high pressure over us with propects for northern blocking not looking likely in the coming days so nothing too exciting on the horizon at the moment really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Yeah it's not a bad idea, perhaps when we are closer to a potential winter "event" happening. Right now the models are in good agreement with sending high pressure over us with propects for northern blocking not looking likely in the coming days so nothing too exciting on the horizon at the moment really.

Mod Note
    Absolutely! We will open a dedicated technical discussion thread for the next potential weather 'event' whenever that occurs

For the moment there are three relevant threads open:

This one which is a general thread relating to Winter 2013/14

These two:
    Current Conditions November 2013

Looking wintry from November 18th (This one's been largely forgotten about it appears, I've changed the label to model/technical discussion)

There's also this one discussing winter forecasts in the tabloids etc
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057069794

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement