Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

So quiet :( anyways the north and maybe some parts of the east coast might have some sleet/snow showers over the next 24hrs :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

So quiet :( anyways the north and maybe some parts of the east coast might have some sleet/snow showers over the next 24hrs :)

Quiet for sure but probably because the models have High Pressure dominating for the foreseeable future. Hard frosts probably the thing of most interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Very cold and windy here in East meath. Dark sky over head and we had a small sleet shower about 30 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Quiet for sure but probably because the models have High Pressure dominating for the foreseeable future. Hard frosts probably the thing of most interest.
    I doubt if we will even get hard frosts as the high sits on top of us and stagnates, anticyclonic gloom here we come.
    It's my least favourite weather, I wouldn't even call it weather, I hate it, I would prefer a mobile 14c sw'ly.
    It's going to get very very quiet around here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Anybody know what's wrong with the UKMO??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I doubt if we will even get hard frosts as the high sits on top of us and stagnates, anticyclonic gloom here we come.
    It's my least favourite weather, I wouldn't even call it weather, I hate it, I would prefer a mobile 14c sw'ly.
    It's going to get very very quiet around here :(

Better than a raging Atlantic any day of the week ,

Id happily take this upcoming spell of weather , the long game begins now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Here's a morale booster! (no, not a chart for next week) ;)
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1962/Rrea00119621127.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Here's a morale booster! (no, not a chart for next week) ;)
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1962/Rrea00119621127.gif

A quite Atlantic is a good start I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Quite an amazing piece of research here: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41379-october-pattern-index-predicting-winter-ao-from-october-with-90-accuracy/

Now I do not know how scientifically rigorous the technique is and it appears overly simple but the results over the last 30 years speak for themselves.

It basically is a correlation between the October Snow Pattern over EuroAsia and the coming winter's Arctic Oscillation.

Now we all know that AO positive winters tend to lead to more zonal conditions across Ireland leading to average or mild conditions with unsettled weather. While AO negative winters lend to more cold outbreaks from the Arctic and are correlated to a negative NAO winters.

This statistical analysis poses that the winter (DJF) AO index can be easily predicted by the end of October using the October Pattern Index. The accuracy over the previus 30 years is as high as 90% while the last 10 years has been accurate to 97%.

The bad news is, if the OPI is correct, this winter will be dominated by a strongly positive AO which would tend to enhance the prospects of a zonal rather mild winter for Ireland. However the AO in a positive phase does not necessarily mean blow torch warmth all winter, but it is a key ingredient to exceptionally cold winters.

Very interesting research.

post-480-0-51174400-1381532942.jpg

Looks like we will stay in a north to north east flow for a few more weeks. At least it's cold and not mild muck. December will be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Quite an amazing piece of research here: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41379-october-pattern-index-predicting-winter-ao-from-october-with-90-accuracy/

Now I do not know how scientifically rigorous the technique is and it appears overly simple but the results over the last 30 years speak for themselves.

It basically is a correlation between the October Snow Pattern over EuroAsia and the coming winter's Arctic Oscillation.

Now we all know that AO positive winters tend to lead to more zonal conditions across Ireland leading to average or mild conditions with unsettled weather. While AO negative winters lend to more cold outbreaks from the Arctic and are correlated to a negative NAO winters.

This statistical analysis poses that the winter (DJF) AO index can be easily predicted by the end of October using the October Pattern Index. The accuracy over the previus 30 years is as high as 90% while the last 10 years has been accurate to 97%.

The bad news is, if the OPI is correct, this winter will be dominated by a strongly positive AO which would tend to enhance the prospects of a zonal rather mild winter for Ireland. However the AO in a positive phase does not necessarily mean blow torch warmth all winter, but it is a key ingredient to exceptionally cold winters.

Very interesting research.

post-480-0-51174400-1381532942.jpg

Have read into the OPI research myself and as you said this year's result does do not bode well for potential Greenland Highs. I fear that our only chance this winter will come from a Scandi-Russian High.

However, it is also important to state that the OPI can only correctly find the average AO of an entire winter season, meaning that a period of moderately negative AO isn't completely off the cards.

Anyways, I stick to what I said a few weeks ago, periods of very cold weather in Greece, Balkans, Eastern Europe and as far as Italy this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Unfortunately we suddenly seem to be a long way from a significant cold outbreak all of a sudden. There is nothing but scraps in the model output, and it's all a long way from some of the fantastic runs we saw last week (many of which were well supported by ensembles). This morning's GFS has the stubborn high pressure in our vicinity in 8 days time with low pressure over Greenland and Scandinavia, the ECM paints a similar picture as far out as 10 days. Hoping for a reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Unfortunately we suddenly seem to be a long way from a significant cold outbreak all of a sudden. There is nothing but scraps in the model output, and it's all a long way from some of the fantastic runs we saw last week (many of which were well supported by ensembles). This morning's GFS has the stubborn high pressure in our vicinity in 8 days time with low pressure over Greenland and Scandinavia, the ECM paints a similar picture as far out as 10 days. Hoping for a reboot.

:( so frustrating! Hoping for a mad change in the models!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A trip to Fairbanks anyone? :pac::pac::rolleyes:

281373.png

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

This morning's GFS has the stubborn high pressure in our vicinity in 8 days time

And what would that bring us?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Iancar29 wrote: »
    A trip to Fairbanks anyone? :pac::pac::rolleyes:

281373.png

What time's the flights?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

leahyl wrote: »
    :( so frustrating! Hoping for a mad change in the models!

im going for a mad change in the models, didnt the recent 24-hour cold snap only got picked up in the models about 5/6 days before it happened along with a whole run of promising events after that. As long as the atlantic doesnt come roaring back at us for months on end then im remaining hopefully for a few snowy days after christmas has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

If something interesting is happening around 120hrs-144hrs it has potential (5-6 days out). Anything after that is nearly always guaranteed to change each run.

I know it's hard to, but for the sake of a snow bunnies sanity, disregard anything after that as FI, whether it's good or bad, as it's most likely not going to happen either way! :-)

Gonzo wrote: »
    im going for a mad change in the models, didnt the recent 24-hour cold snap only got picked up in the models about 5/6 days before it happened along with a whole run of promising events after that. As long as the atlantic doesnt come roaring back at us for months on end then im remaining hopefully for a few snowy days after christmas has passed.

Here Here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Went through my first snow shower on the N81 at 5.30 this evening.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

The 0Z GFS shows some cold in FI again this morning, and the ECM is hinting at a northerly. Not much to suggest an evolution of deep and prolonged cold, but definitely better than yesterday's output. The GFS 06z is starting to roll out now, I wonder will it maintain the theme or back away from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The 0Z GFS shows some cold in FI again this morning, and the ECM is hinting at a northerly. Not much to suggest an evolution of deep and prolonged cold, but definitely better than yesterday's output. The GFS 06z is starting to roll out now, I wonder will it maintain the theme or back away from it?
    Ya the cold was coming from a NW feed though which is useless for Snow but better than previous runs for sure.

A nice crisp frosty morning in Drogheda.

Any snow spotted around the Sally Gap or Kippure?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

End of FI on 06z is much nicer but as usual too far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tentative signs for the past few days that the first week of December might produce something interesting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dónal wrote: »
    Any snow spotted around the Sally Gap or Kippure?

Nothing noticeable on the northern side of Kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Winter is in Iceland now not surprisingly--some great webcams on this site,the roads look decent too-wherever they lead to.. http://www.extremeiceland.is/en/webcams-of-iceland/north-east-corner-road-conditions

Tentative signs for the past few days that the first week of December might produce something interesting.

Here we go again! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »
    Here we go again! :pac:

You do know that does not include Cork right? :p;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement