Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

What was weather like around this time in 2010? How did the event unfold? I was abroad so I don't know the details about that winter event except that my mum bought snow boots in Lidls but she bought them really late into the event so didn't really get to use them much. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

red_bairn wrote: »
    What was weather like around this time in 2010? How did the event unfold? I was abroad so I don't know the details about that winter event except that my mum bought snow boots in Lidls but she bought them really late into the event so didn't really get to use them much. :D

Think we were still in the first spell of it. It went on for a good while between nov and dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Well there is certainly absolutely nothing like that on the cards at the moment. At this stage in the game in 2010 the cold was all set. By comparison, cold seems a long way away looking at this morning's model output. ECM in particular is a pure stinker of a run, moving toward westerly sourced weather at the end. GFS is a bit better, but still has no high latitude blocking (what typically leads to cold spells for us - in particular greenland blocking).

I would say the charts are moving away from cold potential at the moment, and there will be no early winter bonus snow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

We have had our first major snow of the Winter here in Southern Poland (Beskidy mountains). Rained all day yesterday then the rain turned to snow as the cold air came down from the north. So far about 8-10 cm's. Hope its Ok to post some pics here?

281870.jpg

281869.jpg

281868.jpg

GFS 6z op showing a storm of the century solution in FI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is FI obviously, but at 204h, this would be a potential window of snow, surely?

281875.png

The GFS is definitely picking up a breakdown now of settled conditions. Possibility of stormy and cold conditions beginning to show in early December. Probably not much snow in the offing or anything like that yet. but potentially stormy especially for north and west. A change is coming

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Well there is certainly absolutely nothing like that on the cards at the moment. At this stage in the game in 2010 the cold was all set. By comparison, cold seems a long way away looking at this morning's model output. ECM in particular is a pure stinker of a run, moving toward westerly sourced weather at the end. GFS is a bit better, but still has no high latitude blocking (what typically leads to cold spells for us - in particular greenland blocking).

I would say the charts are moving away from cold potential at the moment, and there will be no early winter bonus snow

Is there a certain time during the winter that we'd like to get a spell of showers to create a cold pool? I remember people were on about some cold pool from mainland Europe helping the UK and perhaps Ireland. With signs of Poland and other countries getting the chill, will this benefit us?

Is there a certain time during the winter that we'd like to get a spell of showers to create a cold pool? I remember people were on about some cold pool from mainland Europe helping the UK and perhaps Ireland. With signs of Poland and other countries getting the chill, will this benefit us?

Yeah as winter goes on the continent will get colder. However we can only tap into that if certain conditions exist, ie with easterly or north-easterly winds. We usually get easterly or northeasterly winds when large areas of high pressure establish at high latitudes, preferably over greenland, which allows the cold to flow down across us, and high pressure blocking over Scandavia can also bring in easterly winds, though the greenland block is the holy grail. Keep watching the model output for ridging in the mid-Atlantic allowing warm air to flood upwards toward Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Way out in FI but at least it's a bit different to the boring grey we have now...

gfs-1-288.png?12

gfs-2-276.png?12

• Advertisement

^ Newbish question, but in those precipitation charts, what's the difference between clear colours and the ones shaded by diagonal white lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

^ Snow is white lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

^ Newbish question, but in those precipitation charts, what's the difference between clear colours and the ones shaded by diagonal white lines?

The shaded ones are showing precipitation as snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Simon keeling did say that there MIGHT be something to look out for mid December. Maybe some cold coming south from polar areas.

See the difference with ten days apart

Simon keeling did say that there MIGHT be something to look out for mid December. Maybe some cold coming south from polar areas.

See the difference with ten days apart

When you see it, you'll sh!t bricks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Looks good. Fi

Not much new in the models this morning. Both ECM and GFS showing a brief period of northwesterly/northerly cold around day 9-10. Deeper and more snow shower possibility on the GFS. Definitely nothing epic or exciting.

The GFS 6z is out, not much more interest developing, the same theme of a northerly incursion with possible snow showers in about 10 days time, followed by a return of high pressure from the south. Not a sniff of high level blocking.

dopolahpec wrote: »
    The GFS 6z is out, not much more interest developing, the same theme of a northerly incursion with possible snow showers in about 10 days time, followed by a return of high pressure from the south. Not a sniff of high level blocking.

Get up da f**k! :D

("Santa, I would like a lovely Scandi high please")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Started snowing here in Boston about a half hour ago,lovely big flakes :D

• Advertisement

whitebriar wrote: »
    Started snowing here in Boston about a half hour ago,lovely big flakes :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwNBzW40gwI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I was wondering if there is a chance of Snow in December ?

If there is, what dates ?

I can't read those charts, but would love to know :D

thanks.

NeVeR wrote: »
    I was wondering if there is a chance of Snow in December ?

If there is, what dates ?

I can't read those charts, but would love to know :D

thanks.

If you are talking about Ireland I would say there is a good chance of snow in December. The higher up a mountain you go the better that chance will improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where did those posts from an hour back just go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

mike65 wrote: »

Apparently we are not allowed to call out long range "forecasts" for the rubbish they are?? It's ridiculous really. Where in the charter or the first post does it say posters are not allowed to comment on incorrect "forecasts"?

I think we need some action weather on the horizon to take this thread out of the doldrums...come on 12z GFS, throw us a bone!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A little something for the addicts in the waiting room perhaps?

gif-snow-lamp-467780.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mike65 wrote: »

Off Topic posts were eradicated , if you have an issue with that you may PM me ,

Have a Super Dooper day now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

All I can see from this link, Is 1962 and how this year is the same!! :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/25108639

Cancel all winter forecasts, I have the one I want.

Chione, please grant my prayers, I will sacrifice for you in the hills tonight. :D

• Advertisement

ECM has suddenly thrown up the suggestion of heights migrating north to Greenland at t216. Very nice chart. Looking forward to tomorrow's run now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement