Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

just as a matter of interest why is snow your preference? Is it the dangerous driving conditions the increased fuel bills the lack of running water due to burst pipes the decrease in retail business the cancellation of sporting events....

As said before this is the weather enthusiast section and we like different types of extreme weather:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

just as a matter of interest why is snow your preference? Is it the dangerous driving conditions the increased fuel bills the lack of running water due to burst pipes the decrease in retail business the cancellation of sporting events....

Sorry but this is a weather forum , specifically a Winter thread... of course your gonna have people having a preference of snow .

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I will tell you why we love snow:

1. Its a break from ongoing rain and drizzle, sometimes never ending in Ireland
    2. It transforms the landscape
    3. It is often followed by cold crisp days and blue skies - stunning photos!
    4. It brings out the kid in a lot of people
    5. It breaks the monotony of the "normal" Irish weather
    6. It excites a lot of people (though some will say they hate it, when secretly they love it)

Need I give further reasons? :D

Hopefully we will get a wee bit of snow in January or February 2014 which will keep a lot of us weather enthusiasts happy!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cp19 sleeper

http://youtu.be/_QNYj61wMRI
    everybody sing along

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

In regards to the fuel bills, if it occurs during the cold months of December to February or thereabouts, people have their heating on anyway. My heating has been on every evening for the past few weeks and it's just not possible for the house to get colder just because it -5*C outside in the evening because the heat is trapped inside - unless your house has some insulation problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 finnbob123

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Farmer told me yesterday that the water wells are low :)
    yes I have noticed that in the last few days the wells here near my house have gone very low, also the water springs seem to be very slow lately, we could be in for a winter drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 finnbob123

a few weeks back I posted this link which was written on the 16th of September http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/a-white-december-but-no-snow-on-christmas-day-243168.html and now ive come across this http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/white-christmas-for-irelands-south-says-nz-forecaster-251254.html im starting to lose faith in this method of forecasting now. I didn't think that the moon and sun could suddenly change there course.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Joe Bastardi can go Bastardi himself. He's such a drama queen and people hang on to his every words.

finnbob123 wrote: »
    a few weeks back I posted this link which was written on the 16th of September http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/a-white-december-but-no-snow-on-christmas-day-243168.html and now ive come across this http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/white-christmas-for-irelands-south-says-nz-forecaster-251254.html im starting to lose faith in this method of forecasting now. I didn't think that the moon and sun could suddenly change there course.

You actually had faith in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Harps wrote: »
    Still nothing remotely interesting on this mornings offerings, mild, dry and calm for the foreseeable future[/QUOTE

Remember reading this post yesterday as I did my usual browse through the weather forum.
    Roll on less than 24 hrs and it was far from mild dry and calm!
    Spent the whole night awake . Then as I got out and about this morning it was mayhem.A big roller door on a garage got destroyed and at around 10am 2 nice big mature beech trees blew over in a huge series of gusts. Follow that with heavy hail showers all day and that is an example of typical Irish winter weather.
    Granted it was on elevated ground, near Milford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

The wind was insane this morning. A large tree fell on the road 2 houses down from us...although it was rotten at the base. Luckily nobody was walking along the road at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Actually its the fun I can have with my kids, building snow men, having snow ball fights and then a nice mug of hot chocolate when done.

Its not like it last for ever. Retail businesses charge too much so who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Borefest in the run up to Christmas. Yes, the positives are, it'll be mild, and heating bills will be down etc etc. But I like some variety, some interest in the weather to look forward to.

Current output is reminiscent of early 2000's winters. In other words, awful, turgid stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

Borefest in the run up to Christmas. Yes, the positives are, it'll be mild, and heating bills will be down etc etc. But I like some variety, some interest in the weather to look forward to.

Current output is reminiscent of early 2000's winters. In other words, awful, turgid stuff.

The GFS has my place dry for a week. Nice.

My priorities for winter are;

1. Dry
    2. Cold
    3. Bright
    4. Snow

If I consistently get #1 then I happy out. I love snow, and the Rollercoaster, but it's not a patch on consistent dryness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There's always one. People should change how they drive according to the conditions, most of them can't even do this when it rains.

So snow bursts pipes now?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

Single nights worth of snow.. will we ever ever see this!?

... one can dream...

iea0gIpLFqAiq.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

next week looks amazingly mild almost everywhere from Galway to Warsaw, the only exceptions being the very north of Scandinavia and parts of Greece/Turkey which could see falls of snow!

Tbh theres nothing more annoying than icy roads during the run-up to christmas. Once I get to the pub for my christmas evening drinks I want the flakes to start falling once the barman starts pouring my first pint of Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Mild weather at Christmas has to be the worst thing ever. Always ruins Christmas for me. At least give me some cold weather so I can have that christmas feeling.

On the upside, I ran out heating oil 2 nights ago, money doesn't grow on trees so the mild weather will save me from freezing to death until I get oil!
    Gonzo wrote: »
    I want the flakes to start falling once the barman starts pouring my first pint of Guinness!

and then you wake up with your face in a bowl of cornflakes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Gonzo wrote: »
    next week looks amazingly mild almost everywhere from Galway to Warsaw, the only exceptions being the very north of Scandinavia and parts of Greece/Turkey which could see falls of snow!

Tbh theres nothing more annoying than icy roads during the run-up to christmas. Once I get to the pub for my christmas evening drinks I want the flakes to start falling once the barman starts pouring my first pint of Guinness!

I'd love to be in Northern Turkey next week - looks like they'll get loads of convection forming over the Black Sea!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wouldnt be surprised if we'll see scenes posted here this time next week of Athens or even some of the Greek resorts with a covering of snow!

patneve2 wrote: »
    I'd love to be in Northern Turkey next week - looks like they'll get loads of convection forming over the Black Sea!

Sea temperatures are between 12*C and 15*C. I'd say they're in for thundersnow.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Guys I hadn't yet found you all �� in 2010. Is there any chance that something could sneak up on us un-spotted?? Admittedly I was a non-boardy, but my memory of it was that all that wonderful snow came out of nowhere in just a matter of days. Any chance at all that we could be pleasantly surprised one of these mornings??!!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Guys I hadn't yet found you all �� in 2010. Is there any chance that something could sneak up on us un-spotted?? Admittedly I was a non-boardy, but my memory of it was that all that wonderful snow came out of nowhere in just a matter of days. Any chance at all that we could be pleasantly surprised one of these mornings??!!?!

It is possible, just unlikely at this time. 10 day forecast is looking towards mild, dry and cloudy weather. The LRF 's are not reliable at all. The average of LRF's are pointing to a normal\mild winter, with little chance of 2010. SSW have not started and if one does happen, its up to 6 week lead time before they could affect the AO and the NAO. That would help the setup for blocking, easterly winds.

However, no two winters are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

geetar wrote: »
    Single nights worth of snow.. will we ever ever see this!?

... one can dream...

iea0gIpLFqAiq.gif

Its like watching a massive souffle rising :D

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

Smidge wrote: »
    Its like watching a massive souffle rising :D

Either Finland or Canada...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

lila44 wrote: »
    Either Finland or Canada...

Surprisingly its Cork. We would generally get one snowfall a year like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cp19 sleeper

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone think there'll be much towards the end of December?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

I am not throwing in the towel just yet. Plenty of time for things to change. this benign weather has to give at some stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement