Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I am not throwing in the towel just yet. Plenty of time for things to change. this benign weather has to give at some stage

Theres no doubt that pay back time will arrive at some stage - its the nature of our weather in this part of the world. If it persists into the new year then I think another very wintry spring is in the offing. If it keeps going into the Spring then i would be worried about summer - and thats a scenario that would concern me the most:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Theres no doubt that pay back time will arrive at some stage - its the nature of our weather in this part of the world. If it persists into the new year then I think another very wintry spring is in the offing. If it keeps going into the Spring then i would be worried about summer - and thats a scenario that would concern me the most:(

Yes im feeling slightly concerned that the weather is a little too dry and a little too mild.

But do you think it could be mother nature trying to balance things out after the disaster of a summer 2012 and poor spring 2013.

In other words what I mean is - did we already pay handsomely for this weather in advance :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No posts in the weather forum for 5 hours now....grim! Things are bad!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

For those looking for something eventful, forget it this side of Christmas. I'm holding out hope for a break to colder weather around New Years, but I agree with a previous poster saying a cold spring could be the pattern again. But it's looking bleak at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Old diesel wrote: »
    after the disaster of a summer 2013

What

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

John.Icy wrote: »
    What

Exactly. The summer wasn't bad. There was one particular week when it was scorching hot. We got our regular spill of rain.

MT reckons we might get some cold weather in the second week of January which would be a feeling amongst other people. Let's see how things pan out during the holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

red_bairn wrote: »
    Exactly. The summer wasn't bad. There was one particular week when it was scorching hot. We got our regular spill of rain.

MT reckons we might get some cold weather in the second week of January which would be a feeling amongst other people. Let's see how things pan out during the holidays!

Summer wasn't bad!!!!!!! Wer u not in Ireland this summer. It was hot hot hot and for more than a week. Dry to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Summer wasn't bad!!!!!!! Wer u not in Ireland this summer. It was hot hot hot and for more than a week. Dry to. :)

I managed to get away from my computer during that sizzling week we had in July eventhough I should have been working harder on my Metasearch engine implementation. :(

The rest of the summer was a blur as I had a "summer term" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Old diesel wrote: »
    disaster of a summer 2013

i89PA4tdwO0FI.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

We had 4 weeks of sunshine. 1 in June and 3 in July.

Best Summer since 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

John.Icy wrote: »
    What

Oops I meant summer 2012 :)

And spring 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

this is the way i see the next few weeks

DECEMBER

Mild until the 21st then cooler with temperatures of 6 to 9c instead of 10 to 12c
    Still drizzly and misty for noth and west

21st cooler still with temperatures of only 6c

Around 24 and 25th mild again with temperatures of 11c on Christmas day

Rest of December 8c till 30th

then mild for 2 or 3 days and BANG

LESS THAN 10C FOR ALL OF JANUARY

Snow on 5th, 8th - 10th, then a few showers till 15th. I see a return to milder conditions then and after that I cant predict at all Evelyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Healy Rae Permit Holder

pauldry wrote: »
    this is the way i see the next few weeks

DECEMBER

Mild until the 21st then cooler with temperatures of 6 to 9c instead of 10 to 12c
    Still drizzly and misty for noth and west

21st cooler still with temperatures of only 6c

Around 24 and 25th mild again with temperatures of 11c on Christmas day

Rest of December 8c till 30th

then mild for 2 or 3 days and BANG

LESS THAN 10C FOR ALL OF JANUARY

Snow on 5th, 8th - 10th, then a few showers till 15th. I see a return to milder conditions then and after that I cant predict at all Evelyn
    Has Ken Ring predicted snow for February?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Has Ken Ring predicted snow for February?

He has typed many things on this forum. Best to look back and find them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

A brief winter update from MT Cranium (who goes under the name Roger J Smith over on www.netweather.co.uk)

".......if you want to be optimistic, then focus on January 1-5 for change to take place and then the week or two weeks after that for colder weather to become more dominant. From my perspective, this colder period has potential to be fairly productive, but I don't think it would dig in for the entire winter. In the shorter term, I would be surprised if this current pattern shows much tendency to break down before 28-30 Dec. Although a slight regional variation is likely, the pattern looks so mild that the cooler southeast may be just a weak variation based on a few colder nights. I don't see much chance of a strong inversion developing given that the near continent will be snow-free, Holland could catch some of Germany's chill perhaps.

Anyway, if you had to have one month very mild out of the three main winter months, it might as well be December when people have a lot of travel and shopping plans. At least it's good for the economy.

Bottom line, one month from now, much more to see".

Given the respect for MT on these boards and his uncanny accuracy in the past in terms of winter weather, I particularly like the final line "bottom line, one month from now, much more to see". A little bit of hope so for us coldies and it has to be said, the very mild weather will be of great help to most people in the run up to Christmas :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looks like its going to get very unsettled next weekend according to ME

Even Texans are having a far colder winter than us !!!

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-dallas-ice-freezing-20131207,0,7894299.story#axzz2mtVouU9c

I do have a belief that this decade will see some of the coldest weather in over 40 years with a few mild ones here and there.

The oceans are still warm from the last 30-40 years of a warm climate, but the climate is cooling and the oceans will take a few decades to follow. And the Atlantic is very warm still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The climate is not cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Is MT Cranium a climatologist? Do any climatologists post in this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

derekon wrote: »
    A brief winter update from MT Cranium (who goes under the name Roger J Smith over on www.netweather.co.uk)

".......if you want to be optimistic, then focus on January 1-5 for change to take place and then the week or two weeks after that for colder weather to become more dominant. From my perspective, this colder period has potential to be fairly productive, but I don't think it would dig in for the entire winter. In the shorter term, I would be surprised if this current pattern shows much tendency to break down before 28-30 Dec. Although a slight regional variation is likely, the pattern looks so mild that the cooler southeast may be just a weak variation based on a few colder nights. I don't see much chance of a strong inversion developing given that the near continent will be snow-free, Holland could catch some of Germany's chill perhaps.

Anyway, if you had to have one month very mild out of the three main winter months, it might as well be December when people have a lot of travel and shopping plans. At least it's good for the economy.

Given the respect for MT on these boards and his uncanny accuracy in the past in terms of winter weather, I particularly like the final line "bottom line, one month from now, much more to see". A little bit of hope so for us coldies and it has to be said, the very mild weather will be of great help to most people in the run up to Christmas :D

D
    We have to take into account that he is talking about the UK which as we well know can have all the good stuff while we look on with cold drizzle :(

• Advertisement

delw wrote: »
    We have to take into account that he is talking about the UK which as we well know can have all the good stuff while we look on with cold drizzle :(

My understanding is that he also includes Ireland in the above forecast, as per his recent comments on these boards about it looking good for snow in Ireland come the new year.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Detroit at Philadephia American Football on Sky Sports 3 is worth a watch for snow lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Detroit at Philadephia American Football on Sky Sports 3 is worth a watch for snow lovers.

haha, thats amazing !

How are they still playing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

wow
    Ba-5Jm9IQAAdBMT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

D
    Hes great but I wouldnt go that far

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

wow
    Ba-5Jm9IQAAdBMT.jpg

Blimey, how are they still playing and even more that's a big crowd still watching!!

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Hes great but I wouldnt go that far

Ok we will have to agree to disagree so! However he has got this winter bang on so far and we are now in the middle of the mild spell that he predicted!

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Ok we will have to agree to disagree so! However he has got this winter bang on so far and we are now in the middle of the mild spell that he predicted!

D

It's the 8th of December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Blimey, how are they still playing and even more that's a big crowd still watching!!

They don't abandon games there. It's never done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Raging planet is @ 9pm on Quest tonight covering BLIZZARDS for anyone who is interested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement