Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Smkopite

I see mr madden is still going for cold Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

On some of the other weather sites there is a bit of wrist slashing with this nonsense of winter being over. Madden could well be right. My bet is for a White Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

On some of the other weather sites there is a bit of wrist slashing with this nonsense of winter being over. Madden could well be right. My bet is for a White Christmas.

not watching models at the mo but a quick look at ecm shows a colder incursion starting on its last page (240 hrs - 18 Dec) whilst cfs has a decent bit of cold around 27/28 Dec so all not lost if you ask me. You could still get cold for Christmas day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

not watching models at the mo but a quick look at ecm shows a colder incursion starting on its last page (240 hrs - 18 Dec) whilst cfs has a decent bit of cold around 27/28 Dec so all not lost if you ask me. You could still get cold for Christmas day.....

...well make sure it's after I go for my swim. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cp19 sleeper

Wake me up when December end's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Looks like there might be hope for the end of the month with the temps making a steady downward trend. Better than mild muck. Still a long way off. Winter has only begun relax peeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

LionsClearSnowKicking.gif

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Insane that match still was being played! Charts for this neck of the woods looking pretty grim.

That snow index prediction with its crazy statistic of accuracy is looking spot on so far with majorly positive AO.

Lets hope things can turn a bit festive towards the big day but it is unlikely.

Bigger threat is an Atlantic storm with a few intense features progged to our west in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

weather looks mild all the way to dec 22 if you ask me, then there may be brief cold before more mild for christmas day, even the cold spell will be some hail and frost

Roll on january 8th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Jan 8th?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Insane that match still was being played! Charts for this neck of the woods looking pretty grim.

That snow index prediction with its crazy statistic of accuracy is looking spot on so far with majorly positive AO.

Lets hope things can turn a bit festive towards the big day but it is unlikely.

Bigger threat is an Atlantic storm with a few intense features progged to our west in the coming weeks.

Agreed if the high slips east faster than is currently modelled there is a chance we could be in the firing line for some rip roaring depressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Agreed if the high slips east faster than is currently modelled there is a chance we could be in the firing line for some rip roaring depressions.

I'll take that opposed to mild weather. icon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Jan 8th?

Haven't you heard? That's the day to book off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Snow storms during a football match in one part of the country while it is 27C in Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lucreto wrote: »
    Snow storms during a football match in one part of the country while it is 27C in Florida.

Its an 8 million Sq.kilometer country?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its an 8 million Sq.kilometer country?

that spans 25 degrees of latitude in the lower 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Is there something amazing about this? Have you ever looked at a map of the world before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Whatever way we shake the snow globe at the moment it is looking pretty grim. Finding it just as hard to find a glimmer of cold on the horizon today as I did last Friday, we seem to be locked into something at the moment with no end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Whatever way we shake the snow globe at the moment it is looking pretty grim. Finding it just as hard to find a glimmer of cold on the horizon today as I did last Friday, we seem to be locked into something at the moment with no end in sight.

If we all started blowing outside our house at the same time...maybe we could create some vortex that will change the climate? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

With polar air wafting down through North America in a somewhat stuck pattern now and this exiting into the North alantic to engage with the warm gulf stream,it's likely several weeks of wet /stormy weather are in the pipeline for Ireland now.
    Mt is right I think,it will be into the new year before any change to much colder could happen.Though I think it can't happen until mid January or later,which is later than mt reckons because of what looks like the persistence of the energy likely in the Atlantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Im quite glad the Indo is reporting that 'mild mannered postman Michael Gallagher' has said he is 'sticking absolutely' to his prediction of a white Christmas. "It may be mild now but it will turn in time for Christmas, Ive no doubt about it"

As a useful hostage to fortune, when it doesnt come true Ill be hoping thats the last we hear of that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

finlma wrote: »
    Is there something amazing about this? Have you ever looked at a map of the world before?

Since the average for Florida is between 18-20C while it is currently 27C still summer temperatures. Looking at temperature charts last night seeing every other state in purple cold temperatures while Florida keeping it in the red.

I know the US is huge but a near 40C difference over the landmass is amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Since the average for Florida is between 18-20C while it is currently 27C still summer temperatures. Looking at temperature charts last night seeing every other state in purple cold temperatures while Florida keeping it in the red.

I know the US is huge but a near 40C difference over the landmass is amazing.

There are some states in America that can have huge temperature shifts in 24 hours. South Dakota is an example of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_temperature_extremes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Bookies odds for white christmas just released
    An Irish bookmaker is offering odds on a White Christmas in Ireland - with Dublin named the early favourite.
    Boylesports will take bets at 9/4 that Dubliners will wake up to a blanket of snow on December 25. Galway is available at 3/1, with Cork installed at 10/3.
    For those who think Belfast will see snow on Christmas day, 11/4 is on offer.
    Elsewhere in Europe, Berlin is priced at 4/5. Paris is 4/1, Barcelona is priced at 10/1 and Madrid is 11/1.
    In the United Kingdom, Glasgow and Manchester are both priced at 2/1, Wales’ capital Cardiff is 3/1, whilst London is on offer at 9/4.
    New York has experienced some light snow recently and is priced at 13/8 to have snow on Christmas Day.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/what-are-the-chances-of-a-white-christmas-this-year-616639.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Im quite glad the Indo is reporting that 'mild mannered postman Michael Gallagher' has said he is 'sticking absolutely' to his prediction of a white Christmas. "It may be mild now but it will turn in time for Christmas, Ive no doubt about it"

As a useful hostage to fortune, when it doesnt come true Ill be hoping thats the last we hear of that nonsense.

Whether it be white or not he hasn't got a notion just like the other LR punters. And, annoyingly so he will get credit if it is in fact a white xmas even though it's purely random. I see that happen a lot when it comes to "predictions" . Evelyn Cusack hit the nail on the head a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dave1982 wrote: »
    Bookies odds for white christmas just released
    An Irish bookmaker is offering odds on a White Christmas in Ireland - with Dublin named the early favourite.
    Boylesports will take bets at 9/4 that Dubliners will wake up to a blanket of snow on December 25. Galway is available at 3/1, with Cork installed at 10/3.
    For those who think Belfast will see snow on Christmas day, 11/4 is on offer.
    Elsewhere in Europe, Berlin is priced at 4/5. Paris is 4/1, Barcelona is priced at 10/1 and Madrid is 11/1.
    In the United Kingdom, Glasgow and Manchester are both priced at 2/1, Wales’ capital Cardiff is 3/1, whilst London is on offer at 9/4.
    New York has experienced some light snow recently and is priced at 13/8 to have snow on Christmas Day.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/what-are-the-chances-of-a-white-christmas-this-year-616639.html

That's hilarious, but I can see why they have gone with odds so outrageously short. Basically they can sit pretty knowing that in the 50/1 real world chance it did snow they'd be paying out very little, cos no one who is sane will put money on it.

btw what has a blanket of snow got to do with anything? It just requires that a few drops settle on the Met. weather station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Weathering wrote: »
    Whether it be white or not he hasn't got a notion just like the other LR punters. And, annoyingly so he will get credit if it is in fact a white xmas even though it's purely random. I see that happen a lot when it comes to "predictions" . Evelyn Cusack hit the nail on the head a few weeks ago.

That's the problem with these celebrity LR forecasters, the odd time they get it right the media fawn all over them, resurrecting the original article as it sells copy. When the LR forecast is wrong they quietly forget about it until the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Great to see there MIGHT be a chance of some cold and maybe wintery weather starting the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Looks like the raging Atlantic is well and truly back in control from midweek on. Forecasts would suggest widespread gales from the South for most parts on Saturday night which was first hinted at by the GFS model, but ECM now in agreement too. Good call on this by MT too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cool, would love a big storm now, it's the next best thing to snow for me as regards exciting weather!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement