Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭skippy5

Looks like our donegal postman may be right after all. Wonder what Evylin will think of that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 finnbob123

just went outside here in north west cork the forecast is for lows of 0 but it was just -0.9c and freezing hard, my car is covered in ice,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

skippy5 wrote: »
    Looks like our donegal postman may be right after all. Wonder what Evylin will think of that :P

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

hey Evelyn here (not really this is a joke! ok)

Well it does look like some of the Chaos is unlimited in fact as some of our AMATEUR forecasters have perceived the quantum of solace from this Winters solestial halo.

Gerry pass the ALDI Spritzer. RTE wouldnt even get the Schloer this year.

Gerry: Well Evelyn we can expect to get drunk on this and we can expect outbreaks of wind tomorrow morning.

Evelyn : Ah theres Jean. Ah Jean you could wrap the turkey with that dress when your finished on the blue screen.

Jean: B**ch. And now back to the present.

Evelyn : Siobhan what are you doing at the cocktail bar?

Siobhan : Well its too frooooossssty outside for me and I wont be leaving until High Pressure takes control of our weather and temperatures are rising steadily up to 24 or 25c like the end of July.

Evelyn: Hey Gerry. Lets get wasted and you tell them its going to snow.

Gerry: Heh Heh Evelyn. Yeah. We can expect Snow.

Sorry Met Eireann. Love you all and have a Merry Merry Christmas:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

06Z is showing evidence of a white christmas at lower levels as a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

06Z is showing evidence of a white christmas at lower levels as a possibility.

And so it begins :)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Jeez, should i leg it down to paddypowers and lump on a white xmas. 6/1

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

torres9kop wrote: »
    Jeez, should i leg it down to paddypowers and lump on a white xmas. 6/1

Any chance for snow on East Coast or is it just a West & North West event for snow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Any chance for snow on East Coast or is it just a West & North West event for snow

For the bookies to pay out , you need to have 1mm of snowfall recorded at the main station in the county you put a bet on for . So for dublin itll be Dublin airport.

Atm i only see a main risk for the 24th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Iancar29 wrote: »
    For the bookies to pay out , you need to have 1mm of snowfall recorded at the main station in the county you put a bet on for . So for dublin itll be Dublin airport.

Atm i only see a main risk for the 24th.

If a decent amount fell on the 24th, enough to mean that there was still snow on the ground on the 25th, but not enough actually fell on the 25th - in this case Paddy Power (maybe not other bookies) would almost certainly pay out.
    The whole "we've been taken to the cleaners again, massive massive payout" publicity they milk from it is worth the actual small loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so it looks like saturday night into Sunday is the most likely time for snow on lower ground in the run up to Christmas. it looks marginal on the 24th. I hope i'm wrong, though-

just saw the bbc forecast there with Philip Avery, the precipitation charts for Early Sunday and later Monday into Tuesday look quite wintry over Ireland.

according to the uk met office employee - the guy who posts on netweather - it's a continuation of the same theme well into January, So places Donegal and Sligo are the most likely places to see some brief snowy periods on and off beyond the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Yep, some areas could be waking up to some of the white stuff... :D

NAE - 6am Sunday Morning
    6uaq.gif

EURO4 - 6am Sunday Morning
    n7kz.gif

Something worth keeping an eye on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

9r1g.jpg

wvj8.jpg

xyuv.jpg

jjg4.jpg

ln9f.jpg

t9a0.jpg

il0u.jpg

nb64.jpg

0tqa.jpg

z49t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

850 hpa temps may not be spectacular in the next few days but 500 hpa temps will at times dip as low as -35, this coupled with low thicknesses will bring some flakes and the odd dusting here and there to low lying areas between now and Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Gerry said "Snow" TWICE :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Sunday looks like a cold enough day. Loving these meteociel high definition 2m temperature charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Is there any expected in around the Arklow/wexford area? The southeast?? How ccol is it going to get and when?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Getting some sleet in the heavier bursts of rain now

interestingly the uk met office precipitation charts show it getting fairly wintry into Tuesday in the north west as colder air digs in behind Monday's system. based on this i think higher ground in the north west could well see a white Christmas, not so sure about lower ground, though.

in the nearer time frame, we may be some wet snow tomorrow morning crossing the country from west to east

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Tiss a grand stretch in the evenings now....:P:D:p

i think this guy might be hopecasting:

"Tonight I feel as we have made a significant step to northern blocking , not only do we have the artic high well in place , we also have a split vortex , which given the strength of the vortex is remarkable , what we also have hear is ridging into Scandinavia , which is very close to a undercutting scenario , no doubt in my eyes that we are close to wintry set up going by the gfs fi this evening , surprised by the negativity recently , but i think we will begin to see changes as we going to the new year.
    This is a very good chart . If we can get the energy going under the block then we have a scandi high in place, a split vortex , high lat blocking , and lots of energy coming off the Atlantic going under . Which spells a very snowy picture" .

A penny for M.T. Cranium's thoughts on this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    Is there any expected in around the Arklow/wexford area? The southeast?? How ccol is it going to get and when?

How long is a piece of string?

Snow in Ireland is always very marginal. To ask three days beforehand if any is expected in a particular locality is pushing it just a tad I'm afraid.

It doesn't appear there will be any snow at sea level in the immediate future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Just had some hail here in Galway the hail was quite large biggest ive ever witnessed anyway these showers dont look like much on radar cant imagine how bad they will be when they get going proper:eek:

Just thought I'd put this up for the crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

i see sat24 has a couple of bursts of schnee forcast for monday night tuesday morning, blizzard perhaps???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

aboyro wrote: »
    i see sat24 has a couple of bursts of schnee forcast for monday night tuesday morning, blizzard perhaps???

On the severe wind event thread:
    Weathering wrote: »
    Did someone say blizzard?

post-2844-0-43952200-1387695519.gif

Take with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Just had a sprinkle of snow in laois lasted about a minute :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wet snow here in Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

Snowing in Kildalkey, west of trim