Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The snow and cold in North America is unreal at the moment. -50 windchill in places, boston always seems to get huge snowfalls.

They would get such a laugh from media here and in the UK (particularly sky news) when a snow event happens....usually about 5-10cm. Truly pathetic

53cm of snow fell in one night in Boston!

That being said, bring on any snow for Ireland! Tired of this mild muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

The snow and cold in North America is unreal at the moment. -50 windchill in places, boston always seems to get huge snowfalls.

They would get such a laugh from media here and in the UK (particularly sky news) when a snow event happens....usually about 5-10cm. Truly pathetic

That being said, bring on any snow for Ireland! Tired of this mild muck

Lots of Canadians are laughing at whats happening in America. The sort of weather America is having now is a normal winter for Canadians.

Its just that the cold has plunged further south then normal and some states aren't use to it.

You don't see the media reporting on normal Canadian winters?????? Cause its normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

arctictree wrote: »
    More Ninja snow for Thursday morning?

Ill be waiting......good call:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Can only imagine what Canada is like in the winter, particularly the likes of Winnipeg. I have visited Ontario, Quebec and Alberta but in the spring and summer. Would love to see Alberta in particular in the winter. Such a beautiful country
    Kippure wrote: »
    Lots of Canadians are laughing at whats happening in America. The sort of weather America is having now is a normal winter for Canadians.

Its just that the cold has plunged further south then normal and some states aren't use to it.

You don't see the media reporting on normal Canadian winters?????? Cause its normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Can only imagine what Canada is like in the winter, particularly the likes of Winnipeg.

I used to spend a long Christmas holiday in Quebec (Laurentians) every year and it was lovely. Even -20 could be a beautiful sunny day, as long as the wind stayed down a bit it was lovely. Go out for a nice long walk around the lakes, stop in the village for a hot chocolate generously topped up with rum :D

Some evenings we'd come back from skiing and decide to just keep our ski gear on and have a BBQ and a nice big campfire :)

Getting a foot of snow overnight wasn't an issue, the roads would be cleared before morning.

The real killer was the freezing rain / icestorms. Rain like here but it freezes as soon as it hits ANYTHING. I woke up one morning to find the whole world covered in half an inch of ice. The sunlight coming through the tree branches was gorgeous so I figured I'd grab the camera and head outside.

I made it about 3 steps before slipping and falling on my face :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

there's gonna be a helluva lot of slush !!

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Boston+MA+USMA0046:1:US

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Longing for a quiet night without hail and rain battering the house and wind roaring.... there was snow on the mountains on Saturday but all washed away

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Frost quakes in Canada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

A decent run from the GFS. I doubt that our shores will see anything substantial from this, but at least we can look forward to some interesting model watching in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Apparently the GFS Ensembles are showing a good few Easterlies. If the UKMO and ECM this evening are also suggesting same I think a thread of its own might be in order. I appreciate an easterly is still only a 30% shot and even then there is the issue of whether it makes its way to us (I've yet to see any chart with -8's over us) but with each run things are trending colder and, sure, it'll give us something to talk about other than storms (yawn)!

Mods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

UKMO Has been delayed for some reason... they probably cant decide which button to press... :rolleyes: ;)

GEM is what we want to see from both ecm and the eventual ukmo though later ! :)

287733.png

Bring onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn d Easterly!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

GEM is a step in the right direction but its not exactly amazing, 1.5 days of cold mostly dry air just about reaching us then the Azores high links up with the sinking Scandi high over Ireland and all the cold dives south into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

GEM is a step in the right direction but its not exactly amazing, 1.5 days of cold mostly dry air just about reaching us then the Azores high links up with the sinking Scandi high over Ireland and all the cold dives south into Europe.

Please f**k off Azores high and let us have our cold. Thank you.

The GFS ensembles show that a big change is on the cards, but ultimately it can go both ways. Before that keep an eye out for ninja snow events, particularly if you live above 200m.

Why can't people post pics on the forum ? it's simple.

Click insert image and paste the link don't attach it !

287737.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think a lot of people are looking West, getting jealous and searching for any hope in the models, but imo feck all of interest for cold/snow lovers at present

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Villain wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are looking West, getting jealous and searching for any hope in the models, but imo feck all of interest for cold/snow lovers at present

Disagree entirely. I think the last few days have shown the first real sign of the winter that a change to a colder regime is upcoming.

The models are slowly coming to terms with the change and it will be a good few days until the models fully take on board the change.

The models are full of potential this evening and that is the first time i have said that since late October.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Better a slow move towards a cold outlook than a sudden flip to holy grail cold charts only to end in a derailed cold roller-coaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Villain wrote: »

less of that dispassionate logical analysis now please, it has no place in a winter forum....

The models have been strengthening the Scandi high run by run. Lets hope the trend continues. I wouldn't take any post 150 hr output seriously at this stage - only for fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

patneve2 wrote: »
    The models have been strengthening the Scandi high run by run. Lets hope the trend continues. I wouldn't take any post 150 hr output seriously at this stage - only for fun :)

Yes especially from the GFS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The trend is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

less of that dispassionate logical analysis now please, it has no place in a winter forum....

Hail to the king.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

BBC has snow in the morning over Wicklow mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The morning model output could be very interesting! Intriguing few days ahead. Winter could arrive as early as next week! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

18z GFS looking interesting, heights starting to build over Greenland. Hopefully the trend continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Looking like a period of southern tracking lows at least which leaves open the door for some winter fun. Could be quiet stormy at times too with the East and South coasts looking vulnerable in this setup

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Caution is advised. A scandi high on its own is rarely enough to push cold far enough west to Ireland. Also bear in mind the models can sometimes promise riches from the east, only then to flip to zonal less than 3 days out. Given the strength of the pv this year, i think the odds are stacked even more against us this time

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Check out the GFS 0z Possibly an easterly next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Excellent GFS, UKMO and GEM so far this morning with building high pressure to our north, diving lows and easterlys on the way.. The GEM is showing reverse zonality at times... All Aboard the first Polar Express Roller Coaster of 2014 :)

Dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ECM :O stunning up to +144hrs with -10c uppers into England and -7C into our far north east- lovely sliding low and rapidly developing freezing easterly...

Dan :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement