Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 by the curragh

Gonzo wrote: »
    So far this winter is borderline the worst winter for cold ive ever lived through, we havent even had a single day where frost has settled in shaded patchs of the garden all day long

Well, we just had one here last night, it must have been one hell of a frost. Even though it was sunny all through today, and temps apparently got to 5C, roads around here have retained lethal stretches of black ice in shaded areas all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

My friend, who is doing his PhD in Stockholm, posted this today on his facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

This post has been deleted.

I would say the winter Olympic organizers on the other side of the Black Sea are getting a bit nervous at this stage - alot of artificial snow is going to be required if things don't go seasonal soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

whitebriar wrote: »
    This is normal Irish winter weather.
    Lugnaquilla is covered in snow this morning, it's crisp and clear here near Arklow and there's a good view of it.
    Roads down here still very icy too.I saw one crash and I was taking a bit of sliding on one hill.

We have had about 6 frosts this winter here.

likewise even here in Cork city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Lucreto wrote: »
    I am writing off this winter at this stage. We are running out of time now and hope next winter is a lot better of now.

I just hope for a cool summer to make up for it.

and it begins. Half way through winter and its been called :)

A very average winter so far. Some strong depressions coming off the Atlantic, keeping things interesting. I look forward to the rest of winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nabber wrote: »
    and it begins. Half way through winter and its been called :)

A very average winter so far. Some strong depressions coming off the Atlantic, keeping things interesting. I look forward to the rest of winter.

I dunno, of what we have experienced of winter so far, I don't think this has been an average winter so far. We started off with a very boring, dry and mild start to winter during November and beginning of December and for 4 weeks we got smashed by almost relentless high winds, considerable storm damage in parts, floods and the ever presence of very mild air. Irish winters are usually mild and wet but this year's mild is even unusual for here with double figures most days. The fact that the Uk and most of Europe between Galway and Moscow has experienced the same setup thus far makes it even all the more unusual. Hopefully winter will get going here over the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I dunno, of what we have experienced of winter so far, I don't think this has been an average winter so far. We started off with a very boring, dry and mild start to winter during November and beginning of December and for 4 weeks we got smashed by almost relentless high winds, considerable storm damage in parts, floods and the ever presence of very mild air. Irish winters are usually mild and wet but this year's mild is even unusual for here with double figures most days.

I have to disagree and say that this is more a typical Irish winter so far than what we have seen over the last few years, and I would dare to suggest that recent stormy spell was neither out of the ordinary or particularly vigorous. I have certainly experienced far bigger and better - here in the west at least.

I think what may have made this spell of weather stand out is that the winter's since 2009 have been unusually quite and mostly dry; add to this the more rigorous reporting by the media and social networking sites adding drama to a spell of weather that really was nothing out of the ordinary.

For what it is worth, the number of days this winter so far with temp > 10 c at Mullingar is 12. Interestingly, this is the same number that was recorded within the same period in Winter 2012/2013; and believe it or not, this station has recorded more mins below 0.0 c so far this year than what it recording between Dec 1 - Jan 10 last winter, although only by one or two really.

Still not even halfway through Winter yet so plenty of time for it to cool down. I just hope it does not last into April like it did last year.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Not in the next 2 weeks.
    But those temps in scandi do bode well as that's always been Ireland's source motorway for serious cold,speed limit 120.
    East next ,speed limit 100.

Gatso vans on all other sources and 80 or 60 signs.

Now if we can get the JS to veer south a few tads,with low pressures diving into France... etc
    Not much to ask really or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

The +8 is closer than the -8 on the 28th of Jan. :(

gens-0-0-384.png?0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Grim stuff this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

O to be in anchorage Alaska :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Winter as returned in southern poland. Storm last night which took out the power, and its been snowing all day. Wind is just blowing it away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Grim stuff this morning.
    Surprised? This "easterly" only ever existed in the imaginations of the punters on NW. I always knew we would end up where we started before the stormy spell.

ECM1-240.GIF

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that cold snowy air in poland looks like it's only gonna last about 1 day before it's replaced with milder conditions from the west. As for us it is very grim with mild muck lasting well into the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Surprised? This "easterly" only ever existed in the imaginations of the punters on NW. I always knew we would end up where we started before the stormy spell.

ECM1-240.GIF

That is a little bit OTT. A light easterly was forecast at around 144hrs, never a massive severe outbreak, but for 2-3 days the there was 50%+ chances of some sort of easterly and the current synoptic that will occur was supported by around 10% of Ensemble members.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

that cold snowy air in poland looks like it's only gonna last about 1 day before it's replaced with milder conditions from the west. As for us it is very grim with mild muck lasting well into the next 2 weeks.

Yep your right. Some egg on weather presenters faces as they promised winter all week long! Its all we have had this winter is south wind flow. Its unreal. The only hope I have is that I am on the north side of the tatra mountains, which at last are getting topped up with snow. Its cold today, currently 0 and still snowing.
    Its a real battle here in eastern Europe from warm air from Atlantic depressions with polar air. You can guess what is winning......

ECM1-240.GIF

No I'm not surprised. Was just commenting on the model output as usual which was pretty grim stuff.

What's 'this easterly'?

Are you talking about the one the models were showing 5 days ago and has long since faded from the picture?

Tonight's ECM isn't the worst. Sort of a holding pattern, with the Atlantic low pressure spinning against the european HP block for a few days and slowly dissipating. In the end it looks potentially like there could be some cold frosty weather and just possibly ninja snow showers. After that who knows?

Maybe a short cold snap forming next weekend ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Give it a bit of time folks,there are enough jigsaw pieces there if you look for them,my best hunch would be we may see or have seen something significantly wintry for a few days at least by the middle or end of February?
    I could of course be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

whitebriar wrote: »
    Give it a bit of time folks,there are enough jigsaw pieces there if you look for them,my best hunch would be we may see or have seen something significantly wintry for a few days at least by the middle or end of February?
    I could of course be wrong.

I agree, there's still time for a (half) decent cold spell. I'm hoping for something similar to early feb 2009. We had an easterly for a 4 or 5 days which brought snow showers to the east :)

Interesting!
    Next weekend is looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Interesting!
    Next weekend is looking good.

Thats +168hrs, could change a few times in the coming days or hours. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

esposito wrote: »
    I agree, there's still time for a (half) decent cold spell. I'm hoping for something similar to early feb 2009. We had an easterly for a 4 or 5 days which brought snow showers to the east :)

Thanks for reminding me. Just looking back at photos from 06/02/09 and we had a brilliant snowfall in south Dublin. More of that please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

A generally pretty cool outlook this morning from the ECM. Temps single figures virtually throughout with plenty of frosts I'd imagine. There's even an easterly flow but no real cold to tap into out east. That said this is very different from the weekend ECM's so who knows - could change for better or worse. See sample below

ecmt850.192.png

I suspect in terms of general pattern Whitebriar has it nailed...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Three rock has a light dusting of snow on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Don't think I've ever seen such an extreme contrast between western (and eastern) europe and the rest of the world at northern latitudes at this time of year :-

arctic.seaice.color.000.png

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Supercell wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever seen such an extreme contrast between western (and eastern) europe and the rest of the world at northern latitudes at this time of year :-

arctic.seaice.color.000.png

It's also a reminder that even during regular seasons, Ireland is the absolute worst location on the planet at this latitude if you are looking for cold/snowy weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

That map really shows how good our location is for avoiding deep freezes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement