Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I thought the previous year was worst tbh. This year we had some interesting storms, can't remember anything like that last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

But isn't this all part of the variable Irish climate? Winters with amazing amounts of snow (09/10 and Dec 10) are being balanced out with winters of zero or negligible snow. Likewise with summers that barely hit 20C vs summers that have weeks exceeding 20C. I think wishing it to be any different is just being delusional!
    I love snow but if the likelihood of it is not on the horizon, it doesn't bother me. The only time it kills me is if it was virtually guaranteed by ME and here on Boards and still didn't happen. (as has been the case a few times).

I think what excites many weather or snow enthusiasts is that there is always the potential to have another Dec 2010 because we have had it in the past. Wishing for it every winter or even any decent snow on an annual basis is unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I found the weather great for 2013...lovely heatwave period in July and soem hot days earlier in the summer and the storms this winter. Not exactly a boring year...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I thought the previous year was worst tbh. This year we had some interesting storms, can't remember anything like that last year.

Yeah the active weather systems made the first part of winter interesting to follow. The coastal erosion from those big waves on the west coast was probably the most significant since the 1970's and in my neck of the woods in the southeast I experienced the strongest winds since 1997. So it's been a winter to remember so far.

Since then the weather has been quite boring though, but as we head closer to the end of the month I think we'll see the possibilty of stormy conditions return as more very cold air meets the Atlantic off the US east coast providing the fuel for deep depressions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

We've had plenty worse winters than this, most of December and the first week of this month had plenty of interesting weather and the past two weeks have been pleasant enough bar the rain. I really don't get the 'at least its cold' idea, if the weathers going to be boring then I'd prefer it to be mild and boring than cold and boring, it saves on heating bills, theres no icey roads in the mornings and its generally just more enjoyable to be outdoors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Im sure winter will make a late appearance come the Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Got tired of waiting for the Snow to come to me so I went to the snow!! Only a short drive and a 3k walk to the peak, some photos in the weather photos forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88549173#post88549173

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

what's the story is there another Atlantic storm on the way in for the end of month

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Im sure winter will make a late appearance come the Spring.

It has to at some stage - hopefully it will have come and gone before the summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

Saw this today and thought some of the coldies might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

Saw this today and thought some of the coldies might be interested.

Interesting story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Storms may be interesting but I certainly don't want to see any more this year. Hopefully we're still moving into position for possible late Jan/early Feb snow fall based on some good runs this morning hinting at a cool down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A little bit of nostalgia and not something we snow-bunnies see often enough

BebOXI7CIAEX9qS.jpg:large

Burgh Quay in 1936. Clearing snow in to the Liffey.

From @PhotosOfDublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Please someone ramp for me, I need snow. Throw up a map with lots of blue around Ireland, I need to believe...

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

The sun was too high to allow the snow to be seen, but here is a view of the Reeks today, from a friends house. I would say there will be none by tomorrow, as it has been raining since 16:15. The temperature here has been 5C since Saturday and we had a good frost this morning to go with it, the car was well frozen.

Regards Wez

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Snow on mountains and hills Weds into Thursday maybe, and a sign of a similar situation towards the end of the week too. But that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Tabnabs wrote: »

From @PhotosOfDublin

Is there a month with that photo??

Kippure wrote: »

May. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Keep checking here for snow potential half a dozen posts today would suggest none

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The picture was taken on Tuesday, 11 February 1936, and was printed on page 2 of the next day's Irish Independent with the caption:
    "Yesterday's snow being shovelled into the Liffey"

The National Library have some more pics from O'Connell Street and O'Connell Bridge and another from Burgh Quay taken at a slightly different angle

C20045C4-EA98-40B5-87EE-3FF28025F8EE-2423-000002C22C67AD32_zps78420d55.jpg

Lumi wrote: »
    The picture was taken on Tuesday, 11 February 1936, and was printed on page 2 of the next day's Irish Independent with the caption:
    "Yesterday's snow being shovelled into the Liffey"

The National Library have some more pics from O'Connell Street and O'Connell Bridge and another from Burgh Quay taken at a slightly different angle

C20045C4-EA98-40B5-87EE-3FF28025F8EE-2423-000002C22C67AD32_zps78420d55.jpg

That looks like the streets of Seoul on a normal snowy day. :D The council workers put it on the path, the public end up compacting it and the paths become ice-rinks! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile in New York, more snow tonight.

Bef2P4fCEAAXYpM.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Tabnabs wrote: »

From @PhotosOfDublin

The Chart for that epic snow fall

35v.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Theres nothin. All the models are a bust, FI is a bust. Cool days 5-8 with blustery if unspectacular low pressures mixed in as far as the eye can see. Good for fans of dampness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The Chart for that epic snow fall
    nice chart alright, as if we need a reminder that we'll get nothing with a big Azores.
    February was actually the "mildest" month that winter, using Phoenix Park records:
    Dec, 3.6c Jan, 3.4c Feb, 4.4c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Theres nothin. All the models are a bust, FI is a bust. Cool days 5-8 with blustery if unspectacular low pressures mixed in as far as the eye can see. Good for fans of dampness.

think it's fair to say now that January is yet another write-off for this winter with only 3/4 weeks of February left to play for now. Once we get to final week of February I want a slow but sure warm up to begin for Spring and Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gonzo wrote: »
    think it's fair to say now that January is yet another write-off for this winter with only 3/4 weeks of February left to play for now. Once we get to final week of February I want a slow but sure warm up to begin for Spring and Summer.
    Feb might turn out to be interesting (I said "might")
    That deep low heading our way next weekend has nowhere to go except under that high to the NE that won't go away. We can only live in hope!
    The Azores ridging towards Greenland??
    ECM1-168.GIF?21-12

You can always watch the snow starting to fall in NYC.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Plenty of cameras here too

http://nyctmc.org/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement