Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

At my house its is 98f ASL and 5 min drive north it is 569f ASL :) so I'm in some kinda hope this week
    Not really high enough this week for settling snow unless there's higher ground still around that 569 point
    I'd say with -5 850"s and an Irish sea flow you'd need to be above 800ft this week.
    Mountains nearby within 3 or 4 miles of you tend to lend their weather to lower elevations-meaning if you are at 500Ft asl,well inland and you have ground above 1500 ft beside you(where it certainly would be snowing) then you might have snow and this would probably settle above 800ft.
    Hence deepest Wicklow on high ground is good or the cooleys/mournes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECMWF really ramps up that low Saturday but probably tracking to our northwest?

And also likely beyond peak when moving towards us.

However must definitely be watched as coincides with the next Spring tide.

Really could be a bad bad recipe with the Spring tide and storm almost coming @ the exact same time.

ECM1-72.GIF?28-0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ECMWF really ramps up that low Saturday but probably tracking to our northwest?

And also likely beyond peak when moving towards us.

However must definitely be watched as coincides with the next Spring tide.

Really could be a bad bad recipe with the Spring tide and storm almost coming @ the exact same time.

ECM1-72.GIF?28-0

Peaks at 72 hours.

140128_1200_72.png

Heads straight for the northwest coast but matured and weakening by then.

140128_1200_84.png
    140128_1200_90.png

Worth keeping an eye on, the exact evolution and timing probably isn't nailed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met E showed the chart for Friday/ Saturday with storm on the chart and very tight isobars near the West Coast

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

Would this storm due on the weekend bring snow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Current wave forecasts for Saturday morning around the time of the spring tide on the west coast.

FtZNQRG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

my neighbour a fisherman told me an hour ago,
    we could have gale force 10 to 11 this friday night, he being a fisherman has great interest on what is happening,
    could he be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

18z GFS has a nationwide event, nothing too severe but widespread strong gusts and a coastal gale/storm, still a few days away so plenty of time for up/downgrades in intensity. An interesting few days of model watching ahead again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 2307 update from Met....

It will become dry for much of the country tonight, but showers will continue to affect coastal areas. The showers will be heaviest along the east coast. Lowest temperatures tonight will fall to between 0 and 4 degrees, with some frost likely in midland and western areas under clearer skies. Northwesterly winds will light to moderate, but fresh along the coast.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Wednesday will be a cool and generally cloudy day with more showers. Once again the showers will be heaviest and most frequent in Leinster and east Ulster, but they will also affect western coastal counties too. There will be a few bright spells but it will feel fresh in moderate northerly winds.

Outlook

Largely dry at first on Thursday night, apart from a few isolated showers. Some brief frost may develop early in the night as temperatures fall to between -1 and +2 degrees. This will be short lived as fresh to strong southerly winds develop and outbreaks of heavy rain move into the west of the country.

Friday will be a very wet and windy day, with some large rainfall totals expected, especially across the west of the country where there is the risk of flooding. Highs of 6 to 9 degrees, with fresh to strong southerly winds which will veer westerly later. Along the west coast the winds will reach gale force. The rain will clear the east coast early in the night, but another system will move into the west coast later in the night. The rain will be preceded by some wintry precipitation, but heavy rain will quickly follow.

Another wet day on Saturday with heavy falls of rain, with sleet on higher ground. A cool day with highs of 5 to 7 degrees. Strong and gusty westerly winds overland, but along western and southern coasts the winds will reach gale force with some severe gusts likely. The strong winds and high seas coupled with high tides may cause coastal flooding. Becoming largely dry overnight, apart from showers along the west coast. Cold with lows of -2 to +2.

Sunday will see the showers continuing along the west coast, but it will stay drier elsewhere. Highs of 5 to 8 degrees.

The unsettled weather will continue into the early days of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of sleet tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Unfortunately all the ingredients are there for even more coastal problems on Sat - tides are forecast marginally higher than highest tides earlier in month, lots of rain around on fri & sat which may give flooding problems to Galway, Cork, Dublin, large sea swell at same time as high tide & strong winds (maybe not as strong as earlier in Jan but still strong)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Sleet falling in South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential burst of hail and sleet here now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

pad199207 wrote: »
    Torrential burst of hail and sleet here now

Here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Here?

maybe read his sig!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Isnt there a forum already existing for Current weather? I thought this one was for discussing winter weather predictions etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Isnt there a forum already existing for Current weather? I thought this one was for discussing winter weather predictions etc

It's a winter 2013/2014 Chat thread: it's being used to report falls of sleet and snow as well as discussing predictions, models etc.
    There's a more specific Winter FI model thread here
    The Current Weather thread is for reporting local conditions, wintry or otherwise..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

GFS and ECM in agreement of a short window of possible low level snow friday evening.

Broad -2 dps
    291282.png

Whole country below 525 tickness
    291283.png

Gives a short window of proper snow.
    291284.png

Accumulations would be light.

Sleet would be more expected near coastal areas.

Would be better than rain if it occurs ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Nice Video of a frozen Niagara Falls to keep the cold cravings at bay..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nothing but relentless muck forecasted for next 2 weeks, think it's time for me to stick a fork into this winter and start hoping for a decent summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    nothing but relentless muck forecasted for next 2 weeks, think it's time for me to stick a fork into this winter and start hoping for a decent summer!

Oh dear, I fear Gonzo is correct in his assertion.

Darren Bett, a Met UK weather presenter has just been on the BBC News Channel and has confirmed the following:

"..our long term modelling over the next 15 days are showing a very strong signal for ongoing wind & rain and the forecast confidence is very high".

I think folks have to be realistic now and look to winter 2014/2015 for any lasting snow (I don't mean March or April snow showers that melt after 30 minutes).

MT was right in hindsight - I wonder if his 2014/2015 forecast will have any snow in it ? :rolleyes::)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I can't stand cold, but not cold enough to snow conditions. It may as well be very mild. I've had enough of this winter. I bet though we'll see a very cold March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

GFS still going for some wintry weather for midnight tomorrow. Its hard to see how a south westerly can deliver but the temps and precip look about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

YES AT LAST!

Streetly , Birmingham
    its snowing here, saw it snow and rushed out side and I did some runing with with dog, Instead of walking him. we both love the snow! (Going to walk him a lot today, i won't walk tomorow, as weather looks crap, windy and more heavy Rain, It's no, no for my Dog)

It sticking on the grass a bit but not on the pavement!

One day to late, I wished it snowed , it would have nice B'day gift as Turned 29 yesterday lol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

plenty of sleet/snow showers over high ground during the next 2 weeks as there will be a constant changing between mild and windy rain events and cold wintry showers from the north-west. This may please some people but in my view is still nothing more than muck as we are in for many days of cold rain and sleety showers in the weeks ahead, lining up what could be a very cold spring..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

arctictree wrote: »
    GFS still going for some wintry weather for midnight tomorrow. Its hard to see how a south westerly can deliver but the temps and precip look about right.

I'd say wth your height you might get a few sneaky cms late on friday/early on saturday. If the charts stay the same obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Gfs ens snow depth looking good for tomorrow. 12z

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement