Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Defo the winter that snow forgot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Defo the winter that snow forgot :(

True but I see it as the year America stole Winter. 5 frosty days this winter and was gone by 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

Sorry but all would be lost if that comes to happen, the wintry weather in Canada and the States is what is driving this muck we have been experiencing and are set to get more of this week. This must be the worst winter, as far as snow goes, for a long time. I can look out my window at the highest mountain in Ireland and it's companions, all have got a nice little white hat on them for the past 10 days or so.

Regards Wez

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Lucreto wrote: »
    True but I see it as the year America stole Winter. 5 frosty days this winter and was gone by 10am.

Without a doubt the worst winter Ive ever seen for snow at least where I live, it's the first time we've made it this late into winter without even a single second of lying snow/dusting of any sort in my area. Same goes for frost, I reckon ive only seen it about 4 or 5 times since October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

it looks real rough from youghal to wexford right now on the earth wind map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Gusting 90kph here in Laytown, Meath. High tide in 3 hours and it's going to be our second highest of the last 7 weeks. Not one for being dramatic, but interesting morning/afternoon ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrific day here, roads half flooded, met eireann were on the radio about 25 minutes ago and said that tomorrow the flooding is going to extend to all parts of the country (inland locations, not just coastal), as up to 50mm/2 inchs of rain will fall tomorrow combined with more gusts. It doesn't end there either, as it's gonna rain each day after that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrific day here, roads half flooded, met eireann were on the radio about 25 minutes ago and said that tomorrow the flooding is going to extend to all parts of the country (inland locations, not just coastal), as up to 50mm/2 inchs of rain will fall tomorrow combined with more gusts. It doesn't end there either, as it's gonna rain each day after that as well.

While I more than appreciate that excess rainfall can cause a lot of misery for some, I personally am loving this weather. Such a change from the calm, chilly and ceaselessly sunny winters of the last few years. This winter so far actually feels like more like a normal winter. A bonus is that I, and I am sure many others, haven't had to use the heating all that much either. :)

I hope it pours for the rest of the season as a saturated land will benefit us in the spring when things start to warm up a little...

292143.png

:cool:

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I don't think it's as simple as a saturated land will benefit us in the spring.
    Currently land is too wet to go about the things that need to be done for producing cheap food.
    More of this and that shopping bill will go up,more than cancelling out the oil savings.
    Mind you,very frosty here again this morning too so I'm not sure in my neck of the woods, east Wicklow, there has been much savings.

Regarding the models,they're going as expected, more storms,some returning polar maritime at times for a bit of mountain top snow and rinse and repeat.
    A tad depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

whitebriar wrote: »
    Regarding the models,they're going as expected, more storms,some returning polar maritime at times for a bit of mountain top snow and rinse and repeat.

Can you see has Lugnaquilla & has it remained white over the last few weeks?
    If it has stayed white, then the snow depth up there might be slowly growing in the gullies etc. Although Id imagine its more like ice rather than snow up there.

Can you see has Lugnaquilla & has it remained white over the last few weeks?
    If it has stayed white, then the snow depth up there might be slowly growing in the gullies etc. Although Id imagine its more like ice rather than snow up there.
    I haven't been able to see it for a while as it's shrouded in cloud, even today.
    But I expect there's some snow on the peak,in this weather type.There would have been fresh snow up there last night as we had a heavy sleet shower around 4am.,which was froze solid at 6am!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014020518/gfs-2-72.png?18

Am i foolish to think that saturday's storm seems to be followed by some nice cold uppers over us and an increased chance of snow? This at 72h suggests the south could get some and more widespread snow in the following two days?

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014020518/gfs-2-72.png?18

Am i foolish to think that saturday's storm seems to be followed by some nice cold uppers over us and an increased chance of snow? This at 72h suggests the south could get some and more widespread snow in the following two days?

Met Eireann mentioned the possibility after the 9 news tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Beast from the East

Way, way off in FI but some of the ingredients look ok (also needed to see a chart without wind & rain on it)

gfs-1-384.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Good to see it showing its face again before February is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

I see on MTs forecst that he says a possibility of some very mild weather around the 20th...bit of contrast between that and this!! obviously, I d be hoping for the colder outcome.......

Good to see it showing its face again before February is out.

Think it was you that asked me earlier?
    I can see Lugnaquilla from Arklow today and it has a good snow cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Im in knockananna and can see a nice cover on it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Im in knockananna and can see a nice cover on it aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Monday night and Tuesday are looking wintry especially over high ground (on the 18z)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

At this stage I would settle for this - the despised Azores high.
    Says it all about winter 13-14.
    (not despised in summer :) )

gfs-0-216.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

At this stage I would settle for this - the despised Azores high.
    Says it all about winter 13-14.
    (not despised in summer :) )

gfs-0-216.png?12

You just know we have a freezing period to come. My punt from the very end of Feb right through March.

A cold settled, easterly/northerly feed is coming.

The Atlantic train will end at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Tuesday looking like a snow day for many as very cold uppers move in for 24hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Tuesday looking like a snow day for many as very cold uppers move in for 24hours

Here comes the snow train!!! :D

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Any chance of snow in Dublin

Any chance of snow in Dublin

No, there'll be loads in Wicklow, Kildare and Meath according to the models but Dublin misses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 finnbob123

Any chance of a flurry in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Models next week, after +96 are so different. Gfs builds azore high and sends lows over Scandinavia, ecm very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭littlema

Tee hee......my old fashioned barometer swung so far into low.....it registered high!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement