Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

little ma wrote: »
    Tee hee......my old fashioned barometer swung so far into low.....it registered high!!!!!
    From East Germany, obviously not used to such lows there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

snaps wrote: »
    Models next week, after +96 are so different. Gfs builds azore high and sends lows over Scandinavia, ecm very different.

Excuse my ignorance of acronyms but does that mean it will improve here?

little ma wrote: »
    Tee hee......my old fashioned barometer swung so far into low.....it registered high!!!!!
    From East Germany, obviously not used to such lows there. ;)
    Just had the adjust the range on my weather station as well, it went off(below) the scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Tuesday looks quite interesting. Possibly a rain-to-snow event. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

patneve2 wrote: »
    Tuesday looks quite interesting. Possibly a rain-to-snow event. Thoughts?

Agreed. Could be worth setting an early alarm.

LWHf2Z0.jpg?1
    nU7olIb.jpg?2

More wintry showers to follow then during the day.

• Advertisement

LWHf2Z0.jpg?1
    :pac:
    PACMAN goes in for the Welsh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I meant to post last week. Here in Southern Poland, its been the 2nd warmest winter so far on record. Also in Zakapone the warmest January recorded. Average temperature was -1.1c
    As far as I can tell this is from records starting in 1911.

We still have lying snow, all be it in the shade of the sun and we had some very brief cold weather at times. The river is still semi frozen through our land, but it has been an easy going snowless winter.

My home weather station recorded a low of -21c on the 25/1/2014 and a maximum of 12.2c on 23/12/2012.

We had one day where it only reached -14.7c on 25/1/2014.

We had 19.2cm of snow lying on 7/12/2013 and nearly 75cm of drifted snow on 9/12/2013.

On night of 22-23/12/2013 we had a wind gust of 134km/h which brought down 5 trees (Luckily Ash for burning), 1 landed on our 1 of our outbuildings.

February is always the coldest month here, but so far its been dry, coolish and sunny for the first 9 days. I would say too by the looks of the weather charts for the rest of this month, it will be the warmest February ever too here.

Really hoping that March doesnt bring a late winter (Common here to have snow until end April), but i suppose thats on the cards.

06z GFS showing plenty of potential for snow in the coming week, but it all looks very marginal.

We have the initial teaser as the cold front passes through Monday night/Tuesday morning, followed by a day of wintry showers. I'd expect the 850s to downgrade on the day, but still a slight risk of a covering and a good chance of seeing some snow fall imo.

BYjwMIw.jpg
    esTz9xW.jpg

Then a low skirts the south coast, which while unlikely to produce much in low lying areas, could well top up any mountain snow

mldgmYW.jpg

Finally, Friday sees a deep low move up over the Irish sea, with a, once again, very marginal but potentially large snow event across most of the country

EmgPOc1.jpg

Downgrades and shifts in the positions of the low pressures are to be expected, but it's nice to see the potential should things work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Agreed. Away from low lying coastal areas, this coming week is looking very interesting indeed. There is a definite trend developing so lets hope the trend continues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there should be a crazy amount of snowfall on the Wicklow mountains over the coming week, not sure about lying snow in low lying areas tho we should all see wintry falls at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Gonzo wrote: »
    there should be a crazy amount of snowfall on the Wicklow mountains over the coming week, not sure about lying snow in low lying areas tho we should all see wintry falls at some point.

What makes you so sure? Hoping you're correct. Travel the Wicklow mountain routes a lot and so far, this winter has had the least amount of snow up there that I can remember. Every year, the Sally Gap will be impassible for at least a few days. Not the case this year.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    What makes you so sure? Hoping you're correct. Travel the Wicklow mountain routes a lot and so far, this winter has had the least amount of snow up there that I can remember. Every year, the Sally Gap will be impassible for at least a few days. Not the case this year.

Unless you have plans to do something with -or on - snow (ski or climb), why exactly do you want it? Do you just like the idea of the Sally Gap being impassable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

First Up wrote: »
    Unless you have plans to do something with -or on - snow (ski or climb), why exactly do you want it? Do you just like the idea of the Sally Gap being impassable?

Tend to do a lot of winter hiking and some boarding so hoping for heavy snow on the mountains. Never said anything about liking the Sally Gap being impassable. :cool:

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Tend to do a lot of winter hiking and some boarding so hoping for heavy snow on the mountains. Never said anything about liking the Sally Gap being impassable. :cool:

Fair enough. Just the way it read made you seem disappointed that it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

gfs confirms Tuesday's wintry potential. Interesting band of rain pushing in on Monday evening/night, would turn to snow if charts don't change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The Sally gap wouldn't be the snowiest parts of co Wicklow anyway,that would be areas close to lugnaquilla.
    The Sally gap is close to Dublin though and somewhat of an arterial route into Kildare for the adventurous in Winter.

It is high enough to be an almost there in this less than wintry winter this year.With low pressures tracking a little bit further south,enough colder air will probably engage this week meaning Sally May go from nearly to there.
    The military road south of glenmalure at its highest point and the coillte roadways rising well above it adjacent to Lugnaquilla may well see some deep snow this week if they get precip.

The 12z showing 2 potential blizzards during the week, Wednesday and Friday, though with the slightest change they could end up as rain.
    Still, thats 2 runs in row showing good wintry potential in the coming week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    The 12z showing 2 potential blizzards during the week, Wednesday and Friday, though with the slightest change they could end up as rain.
    Still, thats 2 runs in row showing good wintry potential in the coming week

not a smell of it on met eireann and mt's outlooks. would love gfs to be right but its precipitation charts seem to show snow about 10 times more often than it falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Just had a heavy snowshower in cork that lasted bout 10 mins at 5.45 and the radar shows a bigger band of precipitation heading in shortly. I wonder will ir fall as snow. 1 degree outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Heh a chart like below sub 120hrs would usually have this forum in meltdown but its changing so much on each run!

293032.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Heavy snow near Ballydesmond, Co. Cork :)

Met Eireann not mentioning the the snow in Cork now either... interesting!

Ya is it finished? Didnt stay on the ground though id say. Nothing here yet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Stopped now although a lot fell and there's a thick band of sludge on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Saw a few snow showers today none landed on the ground though :/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

marno21 wrote: »
    Stopped now although a lot fell and there's a thick band of sludge on the road.

Snow's snow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Oh my hopes of some decent snow are heightened again. I am longing for some hill walking in the snow.
    In fact, if I don't get some decent snow this week, I am going to get outta my mind on cocaine!

Make it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

According to Met Eireann, snow is to be expected around Kerry on Tuesday! Hope this happens have been waiting for ages! :D:D

That Same preceptation band that produced snow in ballydesmond is producing sleet at best in whitechurch cork north, which is equally as high up. Cant explain that as it snowed on lower levels earlier.......

• Advertisement

Mostly rain in Cahir, maybe the odd flake. 3.6C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement