Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Moderate to heavy sleet and snow pushing north eastwards through the south midlands, if net weather radar is to be trusted. Anyone seeing any of the white stuff in the likes of Kilkenny, Laois, Tipp, etc?
    The precip seems to be dying off in Cahir but the main band is moving into fairly cold air further northeast. Temps are hovering around 0 just north of the band of precip. 0.6 at home here although I have my doubts as to whether the band will get this far north (north Kildare)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

highdef wrote: »
    Moderate to heavy sleet and snow pushing north eastwards through the south midlands, if net weather radar is to be trusted. Anyone seeing any of the white stuff in the likes of Kilkenny, Laois, Tipp, etc?
    The precip seems to be dying off in Cahir but the main band is moving into fairly cold air further northeast. Temps are hovering around 0 just north of the band of precip. 0.6 at home here although I have my doubts as to whether the band will get this far north (north Kildare)

This is where it will be in 3 hours. http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

^^^^
    Disappointed to report that it's just rain here...South west Laois:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

dexter647 wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Disappointed to report that it's just rain here...South west Laois:(

Oh not good at all, especially with you being at over 100m ASL :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

I'm a few miles south of Nenagh in North Tipp and my car is covered in wet snow here at the moment. Looks like it's turning back to rain again, though.

If you look at the radar that lump of precip is making very slow progress eastwards. It's circulating as it goes (around a low pressure system?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Just had some snow/sleet and now heavy rain.

Kilkenny City.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Some snow on the Carlow hills this morning, photo via @greensideupveg
    1796618_594005057342076_509849872_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some snow on the Kilkenny hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Likely some accumulations by late morning tomorrow especially across the northwest.

Tomorrow could be an Ice Day for parts with temperatures really struggling especially where snow lies.

14021115_1000.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

How's Wednesday looking for snow? The BBC Countryfile forecast had the Wicklow Mountains (and what looked that quite low levels surrounding them, including Dublin) under white for quite a while. Did that change with the later runs? Was out of the loop all weekend really, so a bit lost how things developed to that point in the first place tbh!

btw, a bit of a mixed bag around us - the higher mountains have snow at the top, and some of the lower levels fields had a hint of white too (circa 250m asl), but then others inbetween with nothing. I would've said the showers were localised, but there was definitely precipitation over night generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The snow level inland west of Arklow is about 600ft asl from overnight showers.
    Very white above this in populated areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I like pink

prectypeuktopo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Snowed heavy here the last half hour turned to sleet now

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Its been snowing heavily since 10, started as rain and temps dropped and turned to big fluffy stuff. currently 0.2 C. D.P.-1.9 humidity 86%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Its been snowing heavily since 10, started as rain and temps dropped and turned to big fluffy stuff. currently 0.2 C. D.P.-1.9 humidity 86%.

Same here (south sligo) mountainy man - big huge flakes with rain firmly behind them - it's just constant squally rain now the last ten minutes - real cold too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yep best chance of snow would be in the west and north midlands tomorrow . High ground in Kerry will do well also.

293140.png

Sleety mix elsewhere as dew points not low enough imo.

Still better than nothing though! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dammit still looks no good for us in the east tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Gonzo wrote: »

THose precip charts ain't the most accurate though !

Gonzo wrote: »

Likely to see some light showers perhaps , but nothing accumulating i dont think.

• Advertisement

The 6z UKM EURO4 has quite a large area of Ireland covered in snow by Wednesday morning.

14021206_1006.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The 6z UKM EURO4 has quite a large area of Ireland covered in snow by Wednesday morning.

Id accept the upland areas within that, but the progged conditions just do not add up to widespread accumulating snow, even in the highlighted areas - origin of air mass, dewpoints etc

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Id accept the upland areas within that, but the progged conditions just do not add up to widespread accumulating snow, even in the highlighted areas - origin of air mass, dewpoints etc

Explain why?

These are the forecast maxima tomorrow:

14021115_2_1006.gif

And temperatures by 6pm

-- It is going to be an extremely cold day with heavy snow showers tracking right across the country!

14021118_2_1006.gif

And forecast dew-points @ 3pm.

14021115_2_1006.gif

And forecast dew-points @ 3pm.

14021115_2_1006.gif

Woah , didnt think of checking the dps on the euro 4 ...

big difference to the NMM.

293153.png

I'll be alot more optimistic with those euro4 forecasted dps ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah in fairness youre right about the DPs, theres a big swing in them since yesterdays runs, ninja snow may be the order of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i see cork's snow shield is firmly up. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

uppers and dewpoints definitely low enough for snow tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Snow and Ice warning from Met Eireann

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Longford, Westmeath, Cavan and Monaghan
    Cold, wintry weather expected later tonight and tomorrow with occasional heavy hail, sleet and snow showers likely, especially in parts of Connacht, Ulster and some midland areas. Accumulations of up to 3cm in places, especially on higher ground
    Issued:
    Monday 10 February 2014 13:00

Valid:
    Tuesday 11 February 2014 04:00 to Tuesday 11 February 2014 18:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

There will definitely be snow in inland parts of the North and West tomorrow morning

Still not sure will we see it in coastal parts of Sligo but Donegal will by the sounds of things.

In any case it will be fairly shortlived for the morning before sleety rain arrives.

The weekend looks "interesting" though with storms in Spain bringing the jetstream further South.

Anyways Hurray! Snow!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement