Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

whitebriar wrote: »
    Large deep looking (seen from Arklow) snow cover on Lugnaquilla from top to bottom. This being a nice day,for those who want to head there for a fix.

to bottom? I'd say more frost than snow for the most part.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's been a snowless winter in the northeast so far ( at lower levels) :( looking ahead I just don't see anything cold or northeasterly or any good snow producing events coming to the east coast.
    It's been a winter dominated by the screeming jet and no cold in Europe worth talking about :( I no 2 weeks from now anything could happen but it still don't look good. I climbed a mountain ( in louth ) on Thursday and only at the top it was cold and had a little snow on the ground more frost/ice than snow :(

" winter are u there. Hello!!!! Helloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! "

totally understand the frustration, i was lucky to see some lying snow last week from the westerly showers, real lucky infact as it was the only lying snow Ive seen all winter and from an unlikely source. im sure quite a few places in Leinster haven't seen lying snow since last year and that was a bad winter as well. Our friends in Mayo, Donegal, parts of Cavan and even Cork have done far better this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Red Pepper wrote: »
    to bottom? I'd say more frost than snow for the most part.
    nope,100%snow,down to the bottom of the mountain and quite chunky looking from what I can see via binoculars.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Still plenty of snow on the Macgillycuddy's Reeks near Killarney. Funny thing was I was hoping for snow at home all winter and the one morning we get loads of it was last Thursday morning when we had no electricity, no water, no heat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

OK if no one else is going to call it, I will. I think chances now for a decent snow event (and by this I mean lying snow for a few days) are over.

Its been a very disappointing winter snow-wise (though exceptional storm-wise).

The models continue the Atlantic theme for the coming 10 days with further indications that in the next 5-7 days, the United States will turn exceptionally cold again in the mid West and North East (which does not augur well for cold in Ireland and Europe based on patterns this winter).

So that is it, no major snow for Ireland this year. Roll on Spring and I look forward to checking in with you all next winter for any possible snow falls here in Ireland.

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Disappointing would be one word I can think of for winter 13/14 , hardly any frosty mornings never mind snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Can someone explain what the setup for 2010 was like or even a link 72hrs before it all happened. I'm in the mood for some good reminiscing (hope I spelt that right) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

Go to archiv section here http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html and you can look back at the charts for any day any year.
    Some mighty fine charts back then compared to this abysmal winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

derekon wrote: »

So that is it, no major snow for Ireland this year. Roll on Spring and I look forward to checking in with you all next winter for any possible snow falls here in Ireland.

D

Yep...I'd say we are done for 13/14. On the positive side we should see a quick transition to spring as soil temperatures never got very low this winter..starting to see some growth already. Bring on the sun.

J6P wrote: »
    Yep...I'd say we are done for 13/14. On the positive side we should see a quick transition to spring as soil temperatures never got very low this winter..starting to see some growth already. Bring on the sun.
    Don't be too quick to write it off, we've had many a snowy Easter before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Snow after feb is useless. The days are to long and the sun is to powerful, it's usually melted by lunch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Can someone explain what the setup for 2010 was like or even a link 72hrs before it all happened. I'm in the mood for some good reminiscing (hope I spelt that right) :)
    Basically...
    That month,the jet streams wavy pattern stuck us on its cold side for a month.
    This winter it's stuck us on its stormy side.
    The upside of this if it becomes a pattern behaviour for the jet stream (and for whatever reason,we are seeing more frequent quare goings on with it in recent years),there's every reason to expect that randomly in coming winters,we could alternately have a winter like most of the states and Canada is having this year.
    So don't despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

whitebriar wrote: »
    Basically...
    That month,the jet streams wavy pattern stuck us on its cold side for a month.
    This winter it's stuck us on its stormy side.
    The upside of this if it becomes a pattern behaviour for the jet stream (and for whatever reason,we are seeing more frequent quare goings on with it in recent years),there's every reason to expect that randomly in coming winters,we could alternately have a winter like most of the states and Canada is having this year.
    So don't despair.

Pattern behavior, may it be short term or long term for what ever the Reason, would be bad news in my view. Ireland could get, 3 months of wet in Summer, 3 months of heat in Autumn, 3 months of cold in winter.

If this is change we are experiencing, in long term model. 30 years the jet stream could be very weak and with it the gulf stream.

Reading up on this, looks like Ireland might get wet summer, this year.

El-Nino-2014.jpg

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/enso.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Disappointing winter alright but at least we got some snow in Dublin last week. Would have been mental not to get any over a whole winter.

Though unlikely I do recall it snowing on st Patricks day in Dublin a couple of times in the past 7 or 8 years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We were very lucky to get that snow in eastern parts last week otherwise it would have been my first winter in living memory to live through a winter without seeing any lying snowfall. It's still propably the most ice-free winter ive ever seen tho and the remainder of this winter (the next 10 days) looks mild with double figures most days.

I also can't recall any decent cold/snow throughout any part of Europe this winter, seems like the entire continent experienced an Irish 'atlantic mild wet muck' style of winter!

After such a mild winter, even if it was a very wet and stormy one, Im hoping this bodes well and will signal a much dryer and hopefully warm summer. The atlantic has been relentlessly on fire since the first days of winter, it has to die down at some stage and I am hoping it's in time for summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I was happy with my snow last week . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Gonzo wrote: »
    We were very lucky to get that snow in eastern parts last week otherwise it would have been my first winter in living memory to live through a winter without seeing any lying snowfall. It's still propably the most ice-free winter ive ever seen tho and the remainder of this winter (the next 10 days) looks mild with double figures most days.

I also can't recall any decent cold/snow throughout any part of Europe this winter, seems like the entire continent experienced an Irish 'atlantic mild wet muck' style of winter!

After such a mild winter, even if it was a very wet and stormy one, Im hoping this bodes well and will signal a much dryer and hopefully warm summer. The atlantic has been relentlessly on fire since the first days of winter, it has to die down at some stage and I am hoping it's in time for summer!
    Some of us didn't even get that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Heating completely off now for three hours.. WTF.. im melting.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I hope you know I personally blame every single one of you for the lack of winter this winter.
    I come to this thread for hope of a deep lasting easterly, one of you model readers can normally offer up some ray of hope 7 days in the future.
    This year the resignation was palpable, you'd all given up hope by new years.
    Worst winter ramping ever.

AEwRulT.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

this winter was so bleak even the 18z couldn't come up with a pub run special. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Its over, my ruhbarb has started sprouting. Thats spring for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I was happy with my snow last week . :)

Good attempt at camera craft there, not too jerky and slow enough panning. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I hope you know I personally blame every single one of you for the lack of winter this winter..

Contrary to what's preached about long range weather forecasts, weather trends are somewhat locked into cycles, spanning months to years so a 7 year trend can be broadly predicted, though that would not be a 'forecast'.

In the last ten years, some were expecting five cold winters [in winter] with deep to moderate snow covering, and it also saw three very warm and sunny summers.

We got two cold winters, three warm winter and one sunny summer. Arguably, the only reason we did not get a more accurate pattern was the jet streams positioning ~ ie the weather happened alright, just not in the exact geographic locations as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

GFS showing some bad weather for this day next week. Our last chance at winter perhaps?

Rtavn1621.gif

arctictree wrote: »
    GFS showing some bad weather for this day next week. Our last chance at winter perhaps?
    well, March 1st is the first day of winter I s'pose?

this band of rain crossing the country was totally unexpected, only showers were forecast, the wind really picking up here ahead of that band too - some very strong gusts in the last 15 mins or so.
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

well, March 1st is the first day of winter I s'pose?

this band of rain crossing the country was totally unexpected, only showers were forecast, the wind really picking up here ahead of that band too - some very strong gusts in the last 15 mins or so.
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

The forecast on rte at lunchtime was completely wrong, it said showers dying out over the east during this afternoon and evening with more prolonged showers in the north-west for the evening, I guess this band of rain crossing the country now is that band of showers that was just forecasted for the north-west.

FSXX00T_12.jpg

there it is - an occlusion off the nw coast at noon, it's just more active than expected and moving faster in a very strong airflow. A case of "showers merging into longer spells of rain"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

There still waiting for an easterly over on the netweather forum its all they seem to talk about its never too late I suppose spring usually feels colder than the winter anyway .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Hooter23 wrote: »
    There still waiting for an easterly over on the netweather forum its all they seem to talk about its never too late I suppose spring usually feels colder than the winter anyway .....
    I have a good laugh at reading their comments, they are clutching at straws since early Dec, every model run is analysed to the point that every conceivable outcome is possible,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement