Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

White in Whitechurch County Cork. Must have been heavy enough because there's mounds of three to four inches around the front of the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wonder what the situation is like now on the Wicklow hills, nice heavy precipitation there now and snow-line would not be surely much higher than 400m.
    On the north eastern side I'd say it's a good bit higher than 400m to be honest. Peaks that have had snow other days were clear this morning. Might be different on the South and West sides though obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    It will either just miss or rain.

It snowed in Dublin a couple of weeks ago. Also there was lying snow for a day in Dublin back in March. I seem to recall it even snowing on st Patricks day last year. Mind you nothing like 2010, just patchy snow showers

I have to say, fairplay to whitebriar for continually calling these things right regarding snowlines for the Wicklow mountains this winter. I get my hopes up when I see "above 200m", and then he comes in with a dose of reality, the b@stard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I have to say, fairplay to whitebriar for continually calling these things right regarding snowlines for the Wicklow mountains this winter. I get my hopes up when I see "above 200m", and then he comes in with a dose of reality, the b@stard. :)

have to say I was surprised to see snow relatively low down where I am in north cork. usually miss out in these situations but MT called it well. won't last long though as sun is out shining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

nice morning here in cork city south. no snow no rain no wind and even a bit of sunshine. crisp. my fav.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Only snow in Dublin today is in the gullies of the north face of Kippure, nothing of Seehan or other adjoining mountains. A beautiful sunny day in Dublin all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

oh well nice while it lasted...raining again

• Registered Users Posts: 4 william60

Rapid thaw here , not too surprising really , mountain tops well coated though .

pic this morning
    in8znd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Snow line in Wicklow is about 500M. Good covering above that and deeper the higher you go. Lots of precipo around last night, just borderline temps. Could have been sleet/snow at my location (250M) but nothing stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Snow line in south Wicklow for deep settled snow is about 300mtrs.
    Though a dusting to about 1000ft.
    Croghan which rises to 2000ft about 8 miles west of Arklow is whiter than I have ever seen it this winter-complete cover.
    High areas just a tad closer to the coast have no snow even at 1000ft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

It snowed in Dublin a couple of weeks ago. Also there was lying snow for a day in Dublin back in March. I seem to recall it even snowing on st Patricks day last year. Mind you nothing like 2010, just patchy snow showers

No lying snow here.

arctictree wrote: »
    Lots of precipo around last night, just borderline temps. Could have been sleet/snow at my location (250M) but nothing stuck.
    I bailed on the idea of any lamppost/ security light watching at around half 11 last night - my station was showing positive temps and positive dew points at that stage, not long before the precip was due to hit going by the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

have to say I was surprised to see snow relatively low down where I am in north cork. usually miss out in these situations but MT called it well. won't last long though as sun is out shining.

I'd nearly always expect anomalous snow to randomly appear in last night's set up on lower ground well inland but it's flukey and usually is weather 'borrowed' from nearby higher ground.
    Northwest cork is a good example.
    A Wicklow example of this would be the N11 sometimes as you near the sugarloaf.
    Not last night there though as the snow line actually rose the further north in Wicklow you went.
    Croghan (kinsella) rises to 2000ft but had snow from about 250metres in the south of the county on the Wicklow wexford border had an all snow event with a good 4inches I hear.Whereas just north of there,you had to be above 300metres to see that which is unusual.
    Croghan moira which is about 300ft or more higher than kinsella is also white tip to toe,similar depth.
    Snow line there about 250 metres again but further inland and adjacent to ground a lot higher so borrowing that weather and greater distance inland compensating.
    I love mountain climates, they are fascinating!

whitebriar wrote: »
    I love mountain climates, they are fascinating!
    Feckin frustrating more like. Not in this case, but so often 250m asl is the fecking snow line, and so I miss out by 20m of bloody altitude. :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Happy Last day of winter everyone... :(

Dr.-Who.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Hallelujah, the torture that was winter 13/14 is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Iancar29 wrote: »
    And what a beautiful sunny day it was,nice little bit of heat in direct sunlight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Temp dropping rapidly here in kerry at the moment. Any chance of a repeat of last night's snow event happening I wonder. Maybe some of the experts could help with that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Hallelujah, the torture that was winter 13/14 is over!

Nah! 2011/12 and 2012/13 were torture, with serious and/or epic snow on the Continent and UK.

ie. "So close yet so far etc".

This non stop train of wet and windy Lows barrelling straight into us in 13/14 was just 'painful' imho.

ie. "What?!?! Another one!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

All you snow folk should go to Japan
    japan-valley-of-snow.jpg?w=774&h=1084

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

3 Hours to Spring.........:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

good ridence to it! think the majority of us here at least in the eastern half of the country are glad to see the back of possibly the worst winter ever in our lifetimes in terms of cold, ice, frost, sunny crispy winter days and snow. Spring I never care about, time to get pumped hoping for a warm, dry, sunny and plumey and thundery summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Right mod turn of the lights and lock her up

Right mod turn of the lights and lock her up
    The official start of spring is the 21st of march,... I think :confused:
    We could still have a "late blast" even now, but I hope not as I've just planted a field of willow to replace the field that failed last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Gonzo wrote: »
    good ridence to it! think the majority of us here at least in the eastern half of the country are glad to see the back of possibly the worst winter ever in our lifetimes in terms of cold, ice, frost, sunny crispy winter days and snow. Spring I never care about, time to get pumped hoping for a warm, dry, sunny and plumey and thundery summer!
    Hear hear Gonzo one of the most boring winters,( from IMBY view the wind ect.. was nothing of note).Roll on the thundery weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Cold tonight with a mixture of clear spells and cloudy periods. Some heavy showers too, mainly over the southern half of the country, with some sleet and hill snow at times. Lowest temperatures of plus 1 to -3 C., coldest over Ulster. A hard frost will form in many areas, with some icy roads and also some pockets of fog.....Forecast for tonight from met eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Heavy hail shower in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Absolutely loving GFS in FI...possibility of a decent spring?? I wish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Winter 2013/2014 was Wettest on Record in some areas!

From http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2014-win.pdf
    Stormy at times; wettest winter on record

Rainfall totals were well above Long-Term -Average (LTA) everywhere. Percentage of LTA values ranged from 143% at Finner with 510.1mm, to 208% at Carlow Oakpark with 460.5mm. Over 50% of stations across the country reported it was the wettest winter on record. Valentia Observatory reported its wettest winter since records began in 1866 (148 years) with 848.0mm and 183% of LTA, while Malin Head reported 530.7mm, 164% of LTA its wettest winter since records began in 1885 (129 years). Shannon Airport had its wettest winter on record (68 years) while Mullingar reported its wettest winter on record (63 years) with 531.3mm and 444.5mm respectively. Other stations in the South, East and West reported their wettest winter in 6 to 57 years. The wettest day of the season was at Ballyhaise on the 17th February with 34.5mm, its wettest winter day since 2008 (6 years). The number of wet days (day with 1 mm or more) ranged from 50 at Phoenix Park to 80 at Newport.

Temperature
    Mean air temperatures were on or above LTA everywhere except for Cork Airport and Markree. Differences ranged from 0.1°C below at Cork Airport and Markree with a mean temperature of 5.7°C and 5.5°C repectively to 1.1°C above at Phoenix Park with a mean temperature of 6.3°C. Almost all stations recorded their maximum temperature of the season on the 12th December, with the season’s highest maximum temperature of 15.2°C at Finner and Malin Head on the 12th, Malin Head’s highest maximum for winter since 1948 (66 years). Knock Airport reported 12.8°C on the 12th December its highest maximum on record for winter (17 years). Many stations recorded their highest maximum temperatures for winter in 6 to 15 years. Lowest minimum temperatures were the highest for winter on record at many stations, Shannon Airport reported its highest minimun for winter in 68 years, while grass minima were the highest for winter in 6 to 42 years.

Sunshine
    Percentage of LTA values ranged from 77% at Knock Airport with 114.8 hours to 116% at Dublin Airport with 217 hours. The highest daily sunshine amount for winter was 8.8 hours at Dublin Airport on the 27th February. The number of dull days over the season (days with less than 0.5 hrs sunshine) ranged from 19 at Malin Head to 48 at Knock Airport.

Wind
    Winds were above average for winter with storm force winds on occasions. Dublin Airport’s winter mean windspeed value of 14.4 knots (26 km/h) was its highest since 1943 (71 years), Shannon Airport reported its highest winter mean windspeed in 31 years with 12.3 knots (23 km/h), while some stations in the South had their highest mean windspeeds in 24 years. The highest gust of the season was 86 knots (159 km/h) at Shannon Airport on the 12th February, its highest for winter on record (68 years), while the highest mean speed was 65 knots (120km/h) at Mace Head on the 12th February.

Marine
    A new record maximum wave of 25 metres was reported at the Kinsale Energy Gas Platform on February 12th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement