Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breach baby

Options
  • 11-08-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm 29 weeks pregnant an my baby is in a breach position, don't no much bout this so just wondering is this normal at this stage an does it normally move head down by now? Or have I plenty of time yet?
    Has anyone else been in this position before an if so what happened in ur case?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

jackben wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm 29 weeks pregnant an my baby is in a breach position, don't no much bout this so just wondering is this normal at this stage an does it normally move head down by now? Or have I plenty of time yet?
    Has anyone else been in this position before an if so what happened in ur case?
    Thanks

Twice !
    First baby was section as turned breech at 37 weeks - they told me then it's rare for them to turn once they are 34 weeks - but plenty if space until then! My second was breech up until 34 weeks and then turned! I did lots of spinningbabies.com exercises that time & I'm sure that it was lying upside down on the ironing board that helped!!!!
    My second baby still resulted in a section tho ... I went 12 days over and there was no signs of movement!!
    If the baby is breech they offer you an ECV - a procedure to turn baby - at 37 weeks, which I opted against as was risky - and then if unturned a section at 39 weeks. If I was doing it all again I'd have tried the ECV first time as now that I've had 2 sections ill never get a chance at a natural birth which I wanted. Still - both babies arrived healthy and safe which really is all that matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I'm nearly 29 weeks and my baby was breech on Thursday; however the doctor told me "they turn every half hour at this stage"! So I reckon plenty of time to turn right way up!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Im 30 weeks and was breech at scan last week but the doctor said not to worry about and that there is plenty of time for her to move. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My baby was breach until 36 weeks. Felt a bit woo when she turned.
    Also head didnt engage until after waters broke at 41 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

Had the midwife on Thursday she said my baby is in the perfect position, but not to count on it staying there, so I wouldn't worry and just take it that baby will move until told otherwise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Same here, my lady was breech until 35/36 weeks, remainder of baby brain stopping me from remembering exactly when! There was absolutely no telling me at the time but like the doctors say there's no need to worry unduly until 37 weeks! I was like suucee, felt a wooo when she turned!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Thank u all, that makes me feel more relaxed bout it. I've plenty of time for baby to move:) so hopefully it will as don't think I would like to have a section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

jackben wrote: »
    Thank u all, that makes me feel more relaxed bout it. I've plenty of time for baby to move:) so hopefully it will as don't think I would like to have a section.

If you ask, often a section isn't necessary. Babies can be born vaginally when they are breach :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I don't think you would necessarily need a section.
    One of mine came out backside first and was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

liliq wrote: »
    If you ask, often a section isn't necessary. Babies can be born vaginally when they are breach :)

It def is possible - but the safety of a breech delivery depends on the type of breech the baby is - think the individual and the doctor can look at the overall picture and decide what's in the best interest of the baby - I.e . Not of the mother - I was anti section for many selfish (but rational!!) reasons - still had to 'elect' it to prevent the risk of brain damage to my little girl! Each individual is diff tho and I have heard of breech deliveries - it was an option for me until we realised the risks it would put on my baby after scans etc. so whilst I hated my 2 sections - u do what's best for babs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

My last baby was breech until 37 weeks when she turned. I didn't do anything like these spinning babies etc and I didn't feel any big movement when she did turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Well I think if I was advised to have a section I would go with what my doc decides, I do agree what's more important is health an safety of my baby..
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Vaginal delivery of a breech baby is very rare in Ireland.

My baby never moved from a breech/transverse position from 28 weeks on - I knew exactly where she was lying. If I had my time over I'd have ignored all the old wives' tales, spinning babies and people telling me I had loads of time for baby to move. I was scheduled for a section when I was 36 weeks, and had baby at 39 weeks. I should have used my time to read up on and prepare myself for having a section, not hoping that I wouldn't have to have one.

I listened to the advice of my consultant and she was spot on. There was no way I'd have come out well of an attempted vaginal delivery and if I need another section this time I have no issue with that. I'd rather listen to an expert than be dogmatic about the method of delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

There is plenty you can do to encourage your baby to get into an optimum position for a natural birth. Acupuncture can be effective but be sure to use a reputable practitioner. The one that I went to used moxa (a kind of charcoal/insense thing that applies heat) rather than needles.

This website is also brilliant for exercises and information.
    http://spinningbabies.com/

With the exercises I think the key is consistency- you really have to do them every day until your delivery. Best of luck op!

Advertisement