Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV In The Crescent SC

• 11-08-2013 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

Does anybody have an update on when HMV is reopening in the Crescent?

I've been reading horror stories about the PS4 being completely pre-ordered in Limerick city and the last option to secure one for launch would probably be HMV in the Crescent.

Last I heard it was set to reopen in July, but there doesn't seem to be much progress as of yet - anybody have any info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

last week of August from what I heard from a former, soon to be current employee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

krudler wrote: »
    last week of August from what I heard from a former, soon to be current employee.

And will our vouchers still be valid?.......:rolleyes:

:mad:

I'll never buy anything from HMV after the way they treated their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Hopefully it's the end of August that HMV reopens.

Demand for the PS4 has been crazy, and I'm banking on HMV having a clean slate of pre-orders available.

If not, I'll just have to wait until early 2014 to pick it up - what's funny though is that there are plenty of Xbox One consoles still available around Limerick city.

There's more hope of pigs flying than me paying 499 for that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What did they do to wrong their customers? :confused:

What did they do to wrong their customers? :confused:

They screwed everyone over, waited till after xmas knowing they were going bust...took all our guft card and voucher money, they didnt honour those vouchers after they went bust.

In fact they only blocked vouchers the very next day after the news broke and they realised they had forgot about the vouchers.

• Advertisement

neo2010 wrote: »

Demand for the PS4 has been crazy, and I'm banking on HMV having a clean slate of pre-orders available.

If not, I'll just have to wait until early 2014 to pick it up - what's funny though is that there are plenty of Xbox One consoles still available around Limerick city.

There's more hope of pigs flying than me paying 499 for that.

You'd be MENTAL to preorder with them, hand over money in advance of getting a product?...what if they go bust again before or after xmas?

Fool me once........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Hey everyone,

Does anybody have an update on when HMV is reopening in the Crescent?

I've been reading horror stories about the PS4 being completely pre-ordered in Limerick city and the last option to secure one for launch would probably be HMV in the Crescent.

Last I heard it was set to reopen in July, but there doesn't seem to be much progress as of yet - anybody have any info?

Sony have stopped preoredetrs in the Uk.. doesnt matter where you go wont get a preorder.

Due to open last week August/first in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

I think the statement released by Sony regarding the PS4 is open to interpretation - there are rumors floating around that Sony is simply limiting the pre-orders to make sure that consoles will be on shelves following the crazy launch rush come November.

They are trying to avoid a situation where somebody intends to get a PS4 but picks up an Xbox One instead when they're all sold out.

As for HMV, most shops only require 20 euro down payment and the rest is paid when you collect the console in November - hopefully HMV in the Crescent is allotted some consoles, as is normal procedure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

:mad:

You'd be MENTAL to preorder with them, hand over money in advance of getting a product?...what if they go bust again before or after xmas?

Fool me once........

You do realise that it's not the same company don't you? HMV may still be above the door, but it's a completely different entity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You do realise that it's not the same company don't you? HMV may still be above the door, but it's a completely different entity.

Don't let common sense get in the way of a good rant and a bit of controversy. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I can't wait for it to reopen, it's been sorely missed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'd imagine to have preorders, they'd have to have their orders in already, and as they're not open, that may not be the case

so what....if they were decent they'd honour the vouchers, but course since its labeled a different company they dont have to, but they should...morally. it would go along way to restore public confidence in the franchise that stole millions from the irish public and cheated thousands of children out of gifts.

DarkJager wrote: »
    I can't wait for it to reopen, it's been sorely missed.

they had the odd ps3 hardware bargain, but overall they were overpriced compared to online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah can't wait for it to open again give me a reason to go back into the crescent again :)

BRING BACK GOLDEN DISCS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Downstairs in Todds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

they had the odd ps3 hardware bargain, but overall they were overpriced compared to online.

You should see tower records prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Was down in cork at the weekend and I spotted that they opened in the HMV store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Opening on September 13th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just in time for GTA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/four-hmv-stores-set-to-reopen-next-month-29520132.html

22 AUGUST 2013

FOUR HMV stores are set to re-open next month as the music chain returns to retail in Ireland.

One hundred and twenty former staff and new recruits will man the re-opened stores at Henry Street, Liffey Valley Shopping Centre, Dundrum Town Centre and Limerick's Crescent Shopping Centre.

“We're hoping to have them open for the first week in September but that's depending on stock availability and getting the sites up to trading standard,” Barry Whelan, the managing director of Excel Recruitment, told the Herald.

The boss of the recruitment company said that the first people they approached to take the positions were the 300 workers laid off when HMV closed 16 stores across Ireland on February 12.

“We also then opened the recruitment up to the general public, in terms of people who loved music and have experience in retail. It's a good mix of staff from all ages,” he added.

Company Hilco, the owners of HMV in Canada and the UK, are behind the re-openings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

It appears they will - New HMV owners to honour old vouchers

The Cush wrote: »

sold!...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

The Cush wrote: »
    :p

Really good news for me-my iPod won't load properly despite only having bought it a year ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Great news and now I'm glad I held onto that gift card for the last 9 months. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Fair play to them, considering they did not have to honour them.

bucks73 wrote: »
    Great news and now I'm glad I held onto that gift card for the last 9 months. :D

ha same, have a 50 quid one probably melted into my wallet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

phill106 wrote: »
    Fair play to them, considering they did not have to honour them.

Smart pr more than anything else. Better to be proactive on the voucher issue that got so many headlines in the past, than to see it resurface when they reopen and have that issue (from the old company) potentially attach itself to their name now.

Going to be a hell of a lot of those gift cards coming back at them, and a lot of folks will be adding cash sales as well when they go to use their gift cards.

I know a lot of businesses in Cork and Galway took in the giftcards at either full value or partial value when the old HMV refused to honour them, and that many of those businesses still have a lot of those gift cards sitting in their cash rooms etc. I know my stores in Galway and Cork took in quite a few gift cards at the time, and that folk were actively trying to find businesses that were taking them at some value.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Smart pr more than anything else. Better to be proactive on the voucher issue that got so many headlines in the past, than to see it resurface when they reopen and have that issue (from the old company) potentially attach itself to their name now.

Going to be a hell of a lot of those gift cards coming back at them, and a lot of folks will be adding cash sales as well when they go to use their gift cards.

I know a lot of businesses in Cork and Galway took in the giftcards at either full value or partial value when the old HMV refused to honour them, and that many of those businesses still have a lot of those gift cards sitting in their cash rooms etc. I know my stores in Galway and Cork took in quite a few gift cards at the time, and that folk were actively trying to find businesses that were taking them at some value.

Weren't Smyths bar taking them? if they kept them they'll be privvy to hundreds if not thousands of euro worth of stock for nothing

Advertisement