Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV In The Crescent SC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

krudler wrote: »
    Weren't Smyths bar taking them? if they kept them they'll be privvy to hundreds if not thousands of euro worth of stock for nothing

Would not be certain as to what Limerick businesses took them in as my branches are outside of Limerick, just my storage and distrib are based in Limerick. I know all the gift cards taken in by my Irish branches are still in my main office though. If they can be used it is going to be a little perk for my employees next month as I plan to either split the giftcards between them or let them get some new stuff for the canteens/rec rooms in each branch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its not like people handed the vouchers in for free - companies had to pay for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

i say today for limerick or next weekend, because they already reopen in henry st dublin yesterday, will open other stores in Limerick, Dundrum and Liffey Valley in Dublin on 12 September. according rte news http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0906/472546-hmv/

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    i say today for limerick or next weekend, because they already reopen in henry st dublin yesterday, will open other stores in Limerick, Dundrum and Liffey Valley in Dublin on 12 September. according rte news http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0906/472546-hmv/

Was in the reopened Dublin store.

Was not too impressed with the launch tbh.

Non new release CDs going for €20 and new release single disc blu ray selling for around the €25 mark.

Was back in the UK recently and the prices for the exact same items in HMV stores there was far less.

Some of the items in the 4 for £20 offer in the UK HMV stores were going for over €30 each in the Dublin store. A stupid difference and one that will not discourage folk from buying online.

Was talking to someone there about vouchers as well, and it would seem that you cannot bring your old vouchers back to use in a store (the staff member was not 100% on this). Instead you have to register on their site (once it is fully functional), and then send your vouchers back to their offices via registered mail. Then they will send you out a fresh voucher in October and that replacement voucher is valid for one month.

So anyone with vouchers needs to be on their toes and get it sent back as soon as it goes live on the website. They might change things between now and the other stores opening next week, but if folk wish to use their old vouchers I suggest they keep an eye out for what instructions to follow and then to do so as soon as they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Kess73 wrote: »
    ...Was talking to someone there about vouchers as well, and it would seem that you cannot bring your old vouchers back to use in a store (the staff member was not 100% on this). Instead you have to register on their site (once it is fully functional), and then send your vouchers back to their offices via registered mail. Then they will send you out a fresh voucher in October and that replacement voucher is valid for one month.

So anyone with vouchers needs to be on their toes and get it sent back as soon as it goes live on the website. They might change things between now and the other stores opening next week, but if folk wish to use their old vouchers I suggest they keep an eye out for what instructions to follow and then to do so as soon as they can.

Its on their website already - HMV. There's a link at the bottom of the screen to a form that must be completed by October 10th.

I just filled in the form. I then got an email to confirm the form submission and this was on the site that I was taken to:
    Your submission has been confirmed.

What happens next?

We have received your gift card details but we now ask you to send the original Old HMV gift card to us via REGISTERED MAIL to:

Gift Card Exchange
    HMV Retail Limited
    Greenhills Retail Park
    Greenhills Road
    Tallaght
    Dublin 24

Please note: only cards that we have successfully received before Friday the 11th of October will be exchanged.

Before 18th October you will be contacted via email confirming the value of the card and on confirmation sent a gift card in exchange which can be used in any HMV store in the Republic of Ireland before close of business 14th November 2013.

• Advertisement

only just reopen it take a while back update and catch up with other stores remember its was close down for year, it only selling what it had in stock before it close down, its does have some deals, like any dvds or cds that are price €6.99 you get 2 for €12, because i saw them today and i bought 2 dvds for €12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Reopens tomorrow at 9.30am

cards only not promotion vouchers if you spend more then €35 you get €5 off your purchase

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Utterly disappointing. No special opening day deals. The games section is still in that cramped little space in the front of the shop and they are massively overpriced. Launch Wii U games at 50-60 euro.

If they are going to continue like that, they may as well just not bother with stocking games. I'm sure they will get deals going soon, but for now, absolutely nothing of interest to me.

Gonna pop in later to have a look - ^^^thats been the consensus in most of the new opening's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Was in earlier, nice to see a slightly improved vinyl selection, picked up two records at a decent price. Not a lot by way of deals/offers but that will surely change once Christmas gets closer.

A lot of new faces, but it's good to see some of the former workers get their old jobs back.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Utterly disappointing. No special opening day deals. The games section is still in that cramped little space in the front of the shop and they are massively overpriced. Launch Wii U games at 50-60 euro.

If they are going to continue like that, they may as well just not bother with stocking games. I'm sure they will get deals going soon, but for now, absolutely nothing of interest to me.

Open to correction but they will have to be open for 28 days before they can run promotions on a lot of their stock, so you should see more by way of sale sections and promotions after that span of time has gone by.

The opening today was pretty much like the one in Dublin last week. Anyone expecting the Limerick store to open with great prices, a great selection and special offers was going to be disappointed. Potential customers need to lower their expectations and settle in terms of selection if they want to have a bricks and mortar store in Limerick. I do hope that after 28 days has gone by that they (the Irish section of the company) have a good look at their pricing because if they do not they will find themselves in the same position that the previous owners did. They will never be able to match the prices for physical product that the likes of Amazon can provide (although Amazon pushed up their own prices when HMV closed), but if they can manage to stay within 10% to 20% of the online pricing then they might have a fighting chance of people being willing to buy at the higher price in order to be able to get the product straight away. But if they go OTT on the pricing (Had a look at some stuff in there today and found it to be between 50% and 150% more expensive that the same item was on Amazon as well as some of their stock selling for more than twice what the same stock is selling in bricks and mortar HMV store in a UK store last week), then they will catch some passing trade but not enough for all their stores to be viable. The Limerick store I would expect to do well enough as the Crescent shopping centre is a damn good location with a very healthy footfall, but I would have some concerns for the company as a whole and I don't quite buy into their having 26 Xtravision/HMV combo stores elsewhere in Ireland.

I know some of the overheads are down for them now as the entry wages for staff is now lower than what it was in the old HMV,

Personally I expect the new incarnation of the company to be in trouble and maybe gone within five years, but am happy to see them open as it got some of those that lost jobs last time around back in work. Will have my fingers crossed for them though as I like seeing bricks and mortar music stores, and think that Limerick and the surrounding areas has more than enough of a population base to keep even an average store alive and kicking.

Bought two dvd's and it was busy enough, Im sure it will improve as time goes on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Was in there around 5:30. Steady flow of people but I have to say that I was disappointed in their range of CD's. I think that they had a bigger range of artists before. Like previous posters commented, no great opening offers - quite similar to the offers of old.

Hopefully they'll improve. I overheard one of the floor assistants telling a customer that they were getting deliveries daily so with any luck it'll get better.

I do wish them the best of luck though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Delphi91 wrote: »

I do wish them the best of luck though :)

Me too , hope they make it.
    It felt good to walk back in there again this morning and see some of the old faces. Granted, the range isn't the best at the moment but I'm sure it'll improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Anybody any idea are they selling vinyl there?

Anybody any idea are they selling vinyl there?

They have a small selection. Did not look through it so cannot say how good the selection is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Need to pick me up a Creedence best of....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Popped in there after work today. I'm grateful to hear that there'll be a little more focus on Irish artists, that's really a market that they failed to capitalize on before, due to the company being managed from the UK.
    I am delighted that they're back in Limerick, but I'm still a little disappointed that it's in the Crescent, and not in the City Center.

Nothing in there that really interests me in the way of music and games though. Small selection of the usual Metal stuff, and prices are the same. Very small selection of overpriced PC games also. However, that's the way of any record/game shop in Ireland anyway, so I'm not bitter. :P

Other than that, DVD selection is still the same - brilliant. That's the main reason I've gone to HMV over the years, and that's good enough for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I know it's been covered but I hope to god that they drop the prices of games.

HMV used to be my sole place for buying games with all new releases at €45. In the day and age where Gamestop seem to have gone insane (€65 for GTA) HMV would make an absolute killing if they went back to the old prices.

Fingers crossed that 28 day thing is actually true and the prices will be put back down. I saw them charging €60 for a year old game (Assassins Creed 3) available in other shops for half that. I entered willing to buy and left empty handed.

On the bright side it's nice to have a quality blu ray selection again

• Advertisement

they might do special deal with wind waker wiiu premiere bundle on 4th of october

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    they might do special deal with wind waker wiiu premiere bundle on 4th of october

Now that I might be interested in. Gamestop aren't doing this bundle. :(

lol hmv what a joke there prices are crazy 60 euro for most games

and 19 euro for a batman t-shirts

they'll be be out of business again soon there just as bad as game

hey in its €60 for most games in gamestop and smyths too, beside hmv are renting their stores, they need extra money to pay off the rent of the stores and their employees and suppliers, beside €59.99 is same price is rpp price for most games, gamestop and smyths dont have rent pay off but do need pay off their employees and suppliers too

RRP for games has been €60 for a decade.

When HMV and Game closed up shop the prices were hiked up massively by gamestop. Myself and I'm sure many other included missed HMV for the games over anything else. I don't buy CDs anymore I'll use Spotify.

Coming back and having your prices hiked up to ruin that previous goodwill isnt the best of strategies. The place will close again if it doesn't change. As previous posters mentioned lets wait and see. Give them a month or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    I know it's been covered but I hope to god that they drop the prices of games.

HMV used to be my sole place for buying games with all new releases at €45. In the day and age where Gamestop seem to have gone insane (€65 for GTA) HMV would make an absolute killing if they went back to the old prices.

Fingers crossed that 28 day thing is actually true and the prices will be put back down. I saw them charging €60 for a year old game (Assassins Creed 3) available in other shops for half that. I entered willing to buy and left empty handed.

On the bright side it's nice to have a quality blu ray selection again

HMV used to do a direct euro/pounds price mark for games.. they cant do this anymore, ans one they're no longer tied to the english company..

Also they now have to make money.. Gamestop and Smyths charge RRP, HMV are just doing the same

Well that is disappointing but thanks for clearing that up. Amazon + Parcel Motel it is then

there cds are cheaper there then other stores for example i paid €10 for chris brown fortune album if i went other store to get that album would cost me up to €15, and still doing the deals on dvds and cds if price €6.99 you get 2 for €12

i went hmv and gamestop yesterday and they are taking preorders for wind waker wiiu priemere bundle i know isnt big announce in stores just ask shopkeeper at the desk, it s shame we mite not get collectors edition because i dont know if they get collectors edition or not,

• Advertisement

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    Well that is disappointing but thanks for clearing that up. Amazon + Parcel Motel it is then

If you don't mind me asking, why would you use Parcel Motel if buying new games from Amazon?

Anything over 25 pounds has free P&P to Ireland.

Advertisement