Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV In The Crescent SC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Kess73 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, why would you use Parcel Motel if buying new games from Amazon?

Anything over 25 pounds has free P&P to Ireland.

not all stuff is that over £25 has free P&P to Ireland. because i ordered paper mario wii nintendo select version their price £29.99 from amazon last year and i was charge €10 for P&P to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

If you don't mind me asking, why would you use Parcel Motel if buying new games from Amazon?

I use Parcel Motel most of the time as it means somebody doesn't have to be at home to take delivery plus the one in Chalkes is on my way home from work. Currently using the one month trial of Amazon Prime too which seems to work well. Went for the 500gb PS3 GTAV bundle with a free copy of The Last of Us thrown in too :D have a launch 360 which is creaking at the seams...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Did the previous staff get their jobs back, or is it a new crew? Just curious, lads in Crescent were always a sound bunch to deal with.

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Did the previous staff get their jobs back, or is it a new crew? Just curious, lads in Crescent were always a sound bunch to deal with.

well all dublins previous staff got all their jobs back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

There are at least 3 there that I recognize from the old Cruises Street Store. Never frequented the Crescent store that much before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Think it is a mix of some staff from the two previous Limerick stores along with some new faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I used parcel motel for GTAV because they offered first class post to parcel motel which would have meant a Tuesday delivery(today) for the release but they shipped early so I got it a day early because parcel motel take in deliveries from Royal Mail AND sort it whereas as An Post wouldn't give a rats on a Saturday. If I used my own address it could be Thursday before the game would have showed up.

But I've never found anything over £25 looking for shipping charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

He probably bought it from a 3rd party Amazon seller. They often have extra shipping charges and aren't eligible for free shipping.

Chatting with a Golden Discs employee in Cork earlier today, and it would appear that some interest has been shown by GD in the old HMV store in town.

They have already set up shop in the old HMV store on Patrick street in Cork, and the person I was chatting to was adamant that Limerick city centre and the old HMV unit have come up in discussions.

Might be a bit of a smart move by GD if it happens. The crescent sc HMV will get decent trade regardless of who is in the city centre, but a city centre GD of decent size may be able to get the trade the old city centre HMV got.

If it means some new jobs in the city centre, then I hope it goes ahead.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I hate the lay-out of Golden Discs shops. It's never clear if the music is arranged by genre or alphabetical order, or by the band's/artist's name. The bargain stuff always seems to get mixed up with everything else too instead of getting its own shelf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

OI,

I think this is usually down to the extremely small unit sizes that GD's tend to occupy.

Although the old HMV unit on Cruises St is relatively small, I say the GD layout will be much better when compared to their old units in Limerick (Jetland and Arthurs Quay).

OI,

I think this is usually down to the extremely small unit sizes that GD's tend to occupy.

Although the old HMV unit on Cruises St is relatively small, I say the GD layout will be much better when compared to their old units in Limerick (Jetland and Arthurs Quay).

Totally agree

The square footage of the old city centre HMV is far greater than that of any of the GD store that have been in Limerick to date, and I am including the Jetland, Arthurs Quay, Crescent SC and downstairs in Todds GD stores in that statement.

If they move into the old HMV store, they will have close to 2600 sq ft in retail space and about half that again in storage/office space.

The current Patrick street Cork GD shows that they will layout their stores a bit better when they have larger units to play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Competition is key though. I'd be happy to see Golden Discs set up shop in Cruises Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

The rental on the Cruises street store is €160,000 PA http://www.downing.ie/hmv-cruises-street-limerick/
    I'm sure the new HMV tried to negotiate that down but I think it has an upward only clause. Can't see Golden Discs going near it at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Was in today, 90% of staff are those who were in Cruises St originally(which is great to see as they were always v.nice and extremely helpful), struggled to see any former crescent staff. Went fort an interview myself and were told at that only 5 were being hired who previously hadn't worked there.. I wasn't one of those 5 as it turned out..

Ont he shop itself, layout is very similar to old store, however the T-shirts at the back wall are a really really nice touch! The new and top selling CD releases are accompanied by their vinyl's as you walk in the door which is amazing and a fantastic improvement on the old vinyl section..

prices aren;t that bad, 2 for 20 is till there on Blu-ray and 2 for 10 is in some DVD's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Was in today, 90% of staff are those who were in Cruises St originally(which is great to see as they were always v.nice and extremely helpful), struggled to see any former crescent staff. Went fort an interview myself and were told at that only 5 were being hired who previously hadn't worked there.. I wasn't one of those 5 as it turned out..

Ont he shop itself, layout is very similar to old store, however the T-shirts at the back wall are a really really nice touch! The new and top selling CD releases are accompanied by their vinyl's as you walk in the door which is amazing and a fantastic improvement on the old vinyl section..

prices aren;t that bad, 2 for 20 is till there on Blu-ray and 2 for 10 is in some DVD's

It's 50/50 more or less between old staff from the 2 stores and a couple of completely new staff,
    I know as I'm one of the former now current crescent staff;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Vinyl selection is rasonably good. Prices are ok.
    Picked up a copy of "Experience" for €15, which plugs a little gap in my collection. But most LPs are €18-€27.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Apologies, I only just saw this.

It's quicker than using Amazons post service to Ireland. The package will get sent to Belfast the next day and delivered through parcel motel that day. It's also much much cheaper than shops. You also tend to get games a day or so early if pre ordered :pac:

ive see prices for the new releases they are more expensive on amazon, then buy it from a hmv or gamestop or smyths, so i rather buy them preorder from a store then online,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Not surprised at all. I know I haven't bought a cd or DVD for myself in around 4 years now. Some people still do but clearly not enough to sustain a business. Christmas is now the only time you really see HMV back to the old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Widescreen wrote: »

Were you surprised though? I'm not surprised to read that and I feel bad for the staff. I myself only have a few weeks left before I'm made redundant so I know the feeling.

I was in the crescent the other day and passed it by. Prices are too high to compete with eCommerce yet the same can be said for Gamestop who have at least concentrated a little more on higher value items like clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

No, I wasn't surprised but it was always an enjoyable shop to go into and they generally had what you were looking for no matter how obscure.Best of luck with the jobsearch BTW, had a couple of those situations in the not too distant past myself.

Their pricing structure always baffled me-always that bit too expensive to trigger you to buy stuff in quantity which surely is what they would have wanted- it's backfired now.

Looks like Amazon or eBay the only shops I can go to in future when I want a physical item(which is still important to me).Unless i do a weekend in Belfast or London to visit their HMV's- I don't want my extensive music collection to be 100% reliant on a computer/hard drive or paying a tenner a month for ever for mp3 quality music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Not at all surprised. This year I tried to buy four particular albums on or within a week of their release date, and all four times HMV did not stock these albums, each time I walked over to Tesco and found them there instead. And I'm not talking obscure bands, they didn't have Blackstar by Bowie for over a month, and they still don't have the Radiohead album released three and a half weeks ago.

I like having physical copies of music I like but it's not good when it's getting to the point where they're being outdone by Tesco or it's much quicker to actually just order online and get it delivered in the mail.

I'll be sad to see it go. It was the main reason I ever went in to the Crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Spartan08

When is the store closing? These are literally the worst days of my life after the Xtra-Vision store closure. I want to do my final shopping. Hope you will be stocking movies like Batman vs Superman and Zootropolis and albums like Now 94. I can't believe it's time to say goodbye. I only started shopping in February after Xtra-Vision closure. Hilco are really a bunch of worthless scum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Spartan08 wrote: »
    When is the store closing? These are literally the worst days of my life after the Xtra-Vision store closure. I want to do my final shopping. Hope you will be stocking movies like Batman vs Superman and Zootropolis and albums like Now 94. I can't believe it's time to say goodbye. I only started shopping in February after Xtra-Vision closure. Hilco are really a bunch of worthless scum

Normally you get the likes of them in tesco. I'm surprised people still buy Now albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Spartan08 wrote: »
    These are literally the worst days of my life after the Xtra-Vision store closure.

Can i have your life? I mean if that's all you have to worry about you must have a great life!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Normally you get the likes of them in tesco. I'm surprised people still buy Now albums.

For the 2/3 months before its release, the latest Now album is broadcast on loop across the city on 103.0 FM. May be a cheaper way to listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

marno21 wrote: »
    For the 2/3 months before its release, the latest Now album is broadcast on loop across the city on 103.0 FM. May be a cheaper way to listen

Or even get the recorder out and tape them. Just be ready to pause when it goes to a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Jofspring wrote: »
    Or even get the recorder out and tape them. Just be ready to pause when it goes to a break.

Make sure you knock the back of it out so that you don't accidentally tape over it.

Advertisement