Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Food Suggestions

• 11-08-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Just a bit of advice searching for a friend. His springer-collie cross is ten years old (I recently found out he is on supermarket branded food :o ) with sensitive skin and relatively bad dander. Is there any particular dog food that would be best for a senior dog with dander or coat/skin problems? He also hasn't got great teeth - what would people suggest for that as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

Hiya,thanks to the people on this forum I started my dogs on Select Gold-its a brand only available in the Maxi Zoo pet shops,really good ingredients & no artificial colours etc etc. As far as I know they also do a range for "sensitive" dogs so might be worth checking it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Burns or James Wellbeloved would both be suitable - both brands are designed for sensitive dogs (sensitive skin, sensitive belly etc.) and are good quality foods. James Wellbeloved also do a senior version of their food for older dogs. You can get them in large pet stores, some vets and online (zooplus etc.).

Just a note - if/when the dogs food is being switched, do it slowly (gradually increasing new food and decreasing old food) to prevent the dog getting an upset belly initially.

Depending on how "not great" the dogs teeth are, they may need to be cleaned at the vets and then maintained aftrrwards with chews and hard food. If the dog is used to eating softer food, start off introducing the new, hard food by adding some hot water to it (allowing itmto get softer and then drain off the water) and gradually decrease it to allow the dog get used to the new texture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would defiantly go with something hypoallergenic. Burns, Wellbeloved, Arden Grange, Skinners, Robbies, Luath and Barking heads are all hypoallergenic. If it ws me I would go for a not so widely used protein if he has sensitive akin and dander, so I would stay away from beef and chicken and go with say Duck, Salmon or Turkey instead, they are less likely to have been exposed to it so are less likely to have any issues with it.

As for the teeth maybe make an appointment with the vet to have them checked over and possibly cleaned. A good kibble will help someway towards keeping the teeth in decent shape but that ship seems to have already sailed. So maybe try softening the kibble if he has trouble with it, Robbies and Luath are dehydrated and have to be soaked in warm water before feeding so that might be a good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Thanks guys, I'll pass on the suggestions!

Advertisement