Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daytime - Weekday Drinking in Dublin City centre

• 11-08-2013 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

A friend of mine is coming over from the UK this week for a couple of days can anyone recommend some pubs for a few drinks during the day. It has been a long time since i've had a drink during the week so I wouldn't have a clue where to go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Woolshed on Parnell St is a great spot for the likes of this. It does a pitcher of beer and a massive plate of chicken wings for 15 euro. Great for nibbling on and sharing a few pints. Staff are cool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Grogans on south William st, kehoes on south Anne st are good spots during the day. long haul on georges st too. I wouldn't bring a visitor from the uk to the woodshed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

There's some nice spots along the quays if you want to grab a bag of cans and get some sun while doing your drinking. Usually a decent crowd there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

There are lots of places, and I speak as someone whose favorite pub time for drink and conversation is mid-afternoon. Stag's Head (without the crowds you'll be able to actually see the amazing decor), Mulligan's (Poolbeg St.), The Long Hall (S. Great Georges), the list goes on and on ...

Cheers,

Ac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Cafe Royale Stephen's St

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Thanks guys, i'll check out some of the places mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Don't go to where I said:eek: But it is an eye opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

The Porterhouse in Temple Bar, The Stags Head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Oval at the junction of Abbey St and O'Connell St is great for sitting outside and seeing everything past by, be great for a tourist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hate knocking suggestions but based on my own experiences I wouldn't recommend either The Long Hall or The Oval; the former was empty at 3pm one Friday afternoon I went in there and the latter has the type of clientele that'd make you wonder if you'd walked into a Nursing Home.

For me I'd probably go with The Palace on Fleet Street. If you're younger than 30 I'd say Cassidys on Westmoreland St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

McDaids on Harry Street is a nice spot if you can get a seat outside and watch all the beautiful folk come and go from Grafton Street and the Westbury.

The Bailey on Duke Street is a good spot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Whenever I am in Dublin and go for daytime drinks I go to Hard Rock Café in Temple Bar, €5 cocktails and €3.50 pints of beer, called "play all day" if they still do the promotion. And they do food too if you fancied a bite. Never went drinking anywhere else pre 8pm so cant comment on anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

dobman88 wrote: »
    Whenever I am in Dublin and go for daytime drinks I go to Hard Rock Café in Temple Bar, €5 cocktails and €3.50 pints of beer, called "play all day" if they still do the promotion. And they do food too if you fancied a bite. Never went drinking anywhere else pre 8pm so cant comment on anywhere else.

A chain restaurant? Really? How is that "Dublin"? Palace, Grogans or Mulligans would be my suggestion (as others have already said).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

A chain restaurant? Really? How is that "Dublin"? Palace, Grogans or Mulligans would be my suggestion (as others have already said).

Yeah, I went to New York and had a ball in TGIs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

cson wrote: »
    Hate knocking suggestions but based on my own experiences I wouldn't recommend either The Long Hall or The Oval; the former was empty at 3pm one Friday afternoon [...]

That's actually one reason why I suggested it.
    cson wrote: »
    [...] For me I'd probably go with The Palace on Fleet Street. [...]

Excellent suggestion. It can be mobbed during the evening owing to its proximity to Temple Bar, but during the day it can be quite civilized.

Cheers,

Ac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you want something a little out of the ordinary, Cafe en Seine on Dawson St & The Church at the bottom of Henry St, are impressive spots to take a tourist. The Church is an old, quite historic 18th Church of Ireland church that has been converted into a bar/restaurant. Wolfe Tone was baptized there, Arthur Guinness was married there etc etc and there are lots of marble plaques and plaques about the place. The original organ is there too, which adds to the vibe.

Cafe en Seine (it's not a cafe, is a bar) has a very spectacular Art Nouveau interior that has been there since the turn of the last century. It's a little on the pretentious side, and the prices would put ya off going there on a frequent basis, but for a once off visit with an out of town guest, it really has the wow factor that may help ease the sting of the prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If you want something a little out of the ordinary, Cafe en Seine on Dawson St & The Church at the bottom of Henry St are impressive spots to take a tourist. The Church is an old, quite historic 18th Church of Ireland church that has been converted into a bar/restaurant. Wolfe Tone was baptized there, Arthur Guinness was married there etc etc and there are lots of marble plaques and plaques about the place. The original organ is there too, which adds to the vibe.

Cafe en Seine (it's not a cafe, is a bar) has a very spectacular Art Nouveau interior that has been there since the turn of the last century. It's a little on the pretentious side, and the prices would put ya off going there on a frequent basis, but for a once off visit with an out of town guest, it really has the wow factor that may help ease the sting of the prices.

completley agree about café en seine. every English friend of mine that has been here, of all ages, loves it. still not seen a bar to rival it in the UK for sheer wow factor. no.37 and samsara, both next door are equally impressive.

however, if you want a good old day time drinking pub, Dublin is very hard to beat. some of my favourites would be:

Stags head
    Library bar
    Thomas House
    Sin e
    Palace
    ginger man
    bowes
    long stone
    ferryman
    bleeding horse
    barge
    flowing tide
    doyles
    porterhouse ( both city centre branches)
    o neills ( suffolk st, never been to pearse street)
    car and oconnell
    the parnell (great rooftop area)
    mcgrattans in the lane ( lovely outdoor area)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

liffeylite wrote: »
    completley agree about café en seine. every English friend of mine that has been here, of all ages, loves it. still not seen a bar to rival it in the UK for sheer wow factor. no.37 and samsara, both next door are equally impressive.

however, if you want a good old day time drinking pub, Dublin is very hard to beat. some of my favourites would be:

Stags head
    Library bar
    Thomas House
    Sin e
    Palace
    ginger man
    bowes
    long stone
    ferryman
    bleeding horse
    barge
    flowing tide
    doyles
    porterhouse ( both city centre branches)
    o neills ( suffolk st, never been to pearse street)
    car and oconnell
    the parnell (great rooftop area)
    mcgrattans in the lane ( lovely outdoor area)

Sin E is closed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Peader Kearneys on Dame Street ? i think thats the one , €3 drinks all day till 7pm.
    have a walk along , its on a sign outside.
    all well and good sitting in temple bar and cafe en siene but you pay for it , i wouldnt want to be buying rounds with my mate used to sterling prices and not rip off Dublin!

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Brogans on Dame Street ? i think thats the one , €3 drinks all day till 7pm.
    have a walk along , its on a sign outside.
    all well and good sitting in temple bar and cafe en siene but you pay for it , i wouldnt want to be buying rounds with my mate used to sterling prices and not rip off Dublin!

Is that not Peader something? I don't think Brogans do cheap booze.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Brogans is a dump too, wouldn't bring myself there let alone a visitor/tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Donegal_gal

Dont know about d day but d Auld Dubliner in Temple Bar is great on week Nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Lux23 wrote: »
    Is that not Peader something? I don't think Brogans do cheap booze.

thats it !
    peader kearneys.
    all drinks €3 odd.
    always busy in the daytimes i presume due to the price in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Thanks for all the replies, great response from the Boards community as always. I'll check out a few of the places mentioned.

Dont know about d day but d Auld Dubliner in Temple Bar is great on week Nights

Sure D Day was years ago, 1944?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Birneybau wrote: »
    Sure D Day was years ago, 1945?

So you're the gob****e who was a year late for the invasion.:)

Ha ha.

That's me in a nutshell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

dobman88 wrote: »

There must be hundreds of better places than The Hard Rock Cafe surely?

• Advertisement
Advertisement