Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you direct me in to.....

• 11-08-2013 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Dublin Airport short-stay car park? Has anyone ever found their way in, or out?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Follow the signs for the coach park and the entrance to the short stay car park is just before you come to the coach park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you. I just found a decent map of the place on the Aer Lingus or Dublin Airport website, can't remember which one of course. It gives me arrows to follow, how kind of them. Now, if you see smoke signals over the next few days, come and git me! It means I never got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

You have my sympathy! I rarely use the carparks there nowadays. With all the building work for Terminal 2, it got quite chaotic. And then they demolished the old house which was a marker for me to get my bearings.

There is a second way in to short term terminal 1 which is past it on the way back to motorway/roundabouts. This is at back of the higher multistory section (Block C?) that I find easier to navigate as circular ramps are easier to ascend. l keep going up until reach less crowded parking area of higher levels. They have their own lift set up. But you still have to get thru Block A and A on foot to get to airport. I hate this bit as have to battle with cars in dark, low ceiling sections, dragging bags etc. There used to be an outdoor footpath to walk back to main airport building from Block C.

Maybe take a photo of general area where car parked with camera to remind you of where car is parked!

G'luck!:)

Ta very much all. Think I might leave a paper trail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Park nearby instead and get a taxi???

• Advertisement

Clever Rube but I'm supposed to be collecting passengers, taxi is too expensive.

P.S. I misread your post. I should be able to do this, I know I can do this, I can do this, I will do this. Oh I give up and get himself to do it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're collecting passengers and they are mobile, tell them to go and wait in the coach park. You go and park up in Omni Shopping Centre or Airways retail park. They text you when they are ready in the coach park, you sweep in and collect them. Bags straight into the car and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Dublin Airport short-stay car park? Has anyone ever found their way in, or out?

While there has always been a tenuous relationship between our cryptic roadsigns and logic, you'll find that the overhead signs and road markings INTO the short-stay car parks are honest enough. Getting FROM the car park to a national route is an ecumenical matter - you'll have to rely on divine intervention because the signage can only be found by the Hubble telescope and, if you find any, you'll discover that it is merely a gentle reminder for those who already know the route while revealing nothing to those unfamilair with it.

My sat nav refuses to discuss Dublin Airport so I just follow a bus or the majority of traffic. There's bound to be a roundabout ahead where you can (provided you wear a trilby or similar, e.g. a scaled model of a garden centre, much valued by lady type people) make several circuits of that roundabout, carefully assessing the merits of each exit in turn while enjoying a sucky sweet.

For added safety, bring an overnight bag, flask, tartan blanket and treat it like a mystery tour.

Finally, you should thank every deity that you are not required to pick up travellers from Dublin's ferry port. Not only is the route out signage free but it will wreck your suspension.

spurious wrote: »
    If you're collecting passengers and they are mobile, tell them to go and wait in the coach park. You go and park up in Omni Shopping Centre or Airways retail park. They text you when they are ready in the coach park, you sweep in and collect them. Bags straight into the car and away you go.

Boom-boom! Another clever idee-er! Thanks spurious.
    BrensBenz wrote: »
    ....For added safety, bring an overnight bag, flask, tartan blanket and treat it like a mystery tour....

Brens, I have the overnight bag packed, the sweet milky tea in the flask, also packed a few ham sambos, and have knitted the tartan blanket, and now am ready for the mystery tour. Also my car always has a good supply of sucky sweeties viz., pear drops and glassyay mints. (Erring on the side of cowardice though, I am in negotiation with himself to step in when I eventually lose my nerve at the very, last, minute!! :o ). Oh man up, wumman, man up, will ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

JB, just be grateful that you're not going to the long-term car park. You would get lost in a sea of cones and be needing more than a few ham sambos and a flask of tea :eek:

• Advertisement

Strangely enough Molly, I have managed to successfully find and park using Quickpark when going away for a few days and had no troubles until I had to find my way home that is. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Strangely enough Molly, I have managed to successfully find and park using Quickpark when going away for a few days and had no troubles until I had to find my way home that is. :o

That's where we had the problems too - the getting-out bit! We weren't in Quickpark either, we were in the other one, the Express Red Car Park. Just glad it was himself driving out and not me. I got us in there, it was his job to find the way out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Its been over an hour and no news.........:-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I live about 10 minutes from the airport and I still can't tell you how to get to a carpark. I just go on instinct and with as little fore-thought as possible (a model for life really) and that seems to work.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

So you follows yer nose then. Only works for bendy noses though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I just make panicky noises till Mrs.Goat points to where I should be going. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Good 'ould Hyacinth Bouquet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Put yourself in an awkward place and somebody will always come over to move you, and tell you where to go and how to get there. (Not sure it is always physically possible mind you)

Advertisement