Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geography Graduates from U.C.C. ?

• 11-08-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I'm basically looking for some information about studying geography at U.C.C. In particular if anyone has completed Geography as part of their Arts course, I would be very appreciative of any information regarding the study of geography!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Muinteoir Staidear Gno

Anyone??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Hello, I graduated a while back with a joint honours in geography and sociology, I concentrated heavily on social geography. Would give my right arm to go back and do a Masters in it. What do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Muinteoir Staidear Gno

Hi, Thanks for replying to my query! I have provisionally chosen my H.Dip in Geography modules at U.C.C. I think I have chosen the modules that will interest me the most but at the same time will not be too difficult I hope?? I would be very grateful if would recommend or drop any of the following modules?

1. GG2038- Geographical Research Methods
    2. GG2039- Geographical Data Analysis
    3. GG2022- Field Work
    4. GG3001- The Nature of Geography
    5. GG3006- Research Methods and Dissertation
    6. GG2005- Quaternary Environments and Geomorphology
    7. GG3007- Coastal and Marine Geomorphology
    8. GG2010- Cities and People
    9. GG2014- Geography of Tourism
    10. GG3037- Geography of Heritage
    11. GG3045- Food Geography
    12. GG1005- Physical Geography: An Introduction to the Earth and the Atmosphere
    13. GG1007- An Introduction to World Regions: Societies, Economies and Development.

Cheers :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Firstly do you intend to teach it at secondary level at some point - cause if you are then the physical modules will stand to you no end - GG1005, 2014 and the field work too would be important, and the last one gg1007 would be great for teaching aswell. BTW - I did none of those physical modules so I have no idea about them

I did a dissertation and it suited me down to the ground - as its your own work I'd really only do it if you find it interesting and work well on your own steam, so then gg2038 & 2039

The Nature of Geography is quite boring if I remember right. I did cities and people and it was very interesting but I think a lot of that was the lecturer and he's not doing this one. No idea about food geography either.

Do you know who'd be lecturing? Denis Linehan was my supervisor and he was great - really helpful if you are working but he will not suffer fools.

http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/page030.html just found that and it might help

Best of luck - am so jealous!

Advertisement