Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G&G Scar L CQC upgrade options

• 11-08-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Have a lovely G&G Scar and would like to give a bit of an upgrade/tune up. Other than a tightbore barrel I would like to change the motor as the stock one sounds terrible. Don't want a particulary high ROF just a little more umph to match its looks. While I've had a couple of M4's upgraded I'm in new territory with the Scar. Is there a difference as to what can be done? Not particularly up on this kind of thing so any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

Have a lovely G&G Scar and would like to give a bit of an upgrade/tune up. Other than a tightbore barrel I would like to change the motor as the stock one sounds terrible. Don't want a particulary high ROF just a little more umph to match its looks. While I've had a couple of M4's upgraded I'm in new territory with the Scar. Is there a difference as to what can be done? Not particularly up on this kind of thing so any advice welcome.

The scar uses a standard v.2 gearbox and long type motor so upgrades are widely available although some scars use a different selector plate. You can treat the internals of a scar pretty similarly to the internals of an m4.
    As for motors I have a g&p m120 which is ridiculously fast but I honestly wouldn't recommend it because it heats up like crazy and the pinion strips in no time. The shs neodymium high torque motor is quite good in my opinion and is available in hobbyairsoft. It offers pretty good rof and very good trigger response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

G&G's motors suck - it's the one area that really lets them down. They're just slow, and noisy...replacing them is the first thing I do to all of my G&G guns. I used to use G&P M120's, but they're antiquated technology now - they still use ferrite magnet motors which are seriously inefficient when compared to the neodymium magnet motors from SHS, Lonex, Tienly etc.

I wouldn't recommend the Lonex unless you're short stroking, as they are seriously fast - in a standard full stroke setup with our power limit you can end up with horrific preengagement, shredding your piston. I'd also stick with high torque - faster acceleration, faster top speed than the G&P M120 (more than enough), and more efficient. Helps keep the gun quieter too due to the lower spool time (and overall faster cycle time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 CJ76

a bit offtopic, but how do you find G&G Scar CQC-L reliability wise? Any good for woodland? As inner barrel seems to be pretty short - less than 300 mm i think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

CJ76 wrote: »
    a bit offtopic, but how do you find G&G Scar CQC-L reliability wise? Any good for woodland? As inner barrel seems to be pretty short - less than 300 mm i think..
    Let me be quite clear. In terms of build quality and reliability the G&G Scar is a great AEG. I am in all honesty just looking for an excuse to mess about with the internals :) and this thread is just my way of getting ideas off the lads.
    I play my Scar mostly indoors and at Redbarn which is 80% woodland where she always performs. I find the short barrel and foldable stock very handy in confined areas and when traversing through bushes and trees with the minimum of crashing, swearing and getting tangled up in things/fighting wasps.
    If I were to use one word to describe her it would be consistent. Every time she comes out of the box she performs well with no hassle.
    If your asking about accuracy and grouping at range I have no idea as I really only play a short to medium range game and haven't the patience or eyesight to fine tune my hop up.
    Hope my ramblings have in some way answered your questions and if there is anything specific you want to know just ask and I will do my best to answer or hand the AEG over to someone who can as we are both going out gaming tomorrow with several people who are obsessed with range testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 CJ76

thanks man! i saw it in shop few days ago and cant stop thinking of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭dermotcla

sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have bought a scar l and have the same dislike for the stock g and g motor.
    I plan to upgrade her shortly with motor and gearbox first on the list. backthephilup, have you anything done to it yet? if so what is it and how is it preforming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

dermotcla wrote: »
    sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have bought a scar l and have the same dislike for the stock g and g motor.
    I plan to upgrade her shortly with motor and gearbox first on the list. backthephilup, have you anything done to it yet? if so what is it and how is it preforming?
    I got an SHS long type motor which I found to be a definite inprovement over the standard G&G motor. Other than that she remains stock. Have to mention that Hobby Airsofter replaced the hop up unit free of charge when the adjustment wheel came off in my hand one day which was very good of them and much appreciated as I expected to have to pay for it.

Advertisement