Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Canada an option?

Options
  • 11-08-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭

Hi looking for people's opinions and appreciate any input.
    Myself and herself are looking to get out of Ireland she has used her Oz visa up but could go defacto on mine but we feel Oz is to far from family.

A bit about us.
    Both 29.
    She is a fully qualified veterinary nurse in a good job as head nurse in a medium sized company which has 11 clinics across Dublin. She also completed a 3 year retail management course in DBS but never used it.

Me.
    And this is where it goes down hill.
    Dropped out of school when I was 16 with a terrible Junior cert. Worked numerous menial jobs in bars, petrol stations and warehouses.
    Currently a manager of a small shoe shop with a staff of 4. Been there 6 years
    My passion is cars and have been buying and selling them a few years on the side. Never worked in a dealership though.
    I'm also very handy with them, have rebuilt engines but unfortunately I have no certificates to prove my ability.
    I am hopefully going to be starting a 10 week fas course on welding in the next month. I don't think it will lead to any jobs in Ireland however.

If anyone is in Canada at the minute what are the job prospects like for me and her self. She would like to stay working with animals as it's her passion.
    I would do anything I can turn my hand to but would like something that could lead to the possibility of both of us been offered to stay in the country.
    I don't fancy coming back to Ireland in a year or two to sit on the dole...

Sorry for the long post.

Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Hi Keith,

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing. The Canadian veterinary industry is organised primarily on a provincial basis, so the process for registering etc. may vary depending on where you end up.

Veterinary nursing is not a regulated profession in Canada, unlike Ireland, but your partner will still need to register/work within the professional organisations there if she wants to stay working as a vet nurse. A good place to start looking for more specific information would be the Canadian association of animal health technicians. Their website is http://caahtt-acttsa.ca/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Thank you Whistlejacket.
    I'll check out that link with her.

What do you think my chances of work are?
    I'm going to be starting a course on welding and hope to have several areas of welding covered by the time we leave.
    Thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I don't know anything about the Canadian construction sector but I was in Toronto on holiday last summer and there was a lot of building work going on in the city. So I think there are definitely a lot more job opportunities there than here but I don't know what qualifications you would need. However I'm sure you could find this out and tailor your training towards it.

Toronto also seemed like a great place to live, one of the nicest cities I've been to. Best of luck wherever you end up!

Advertisement