Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nearly decided on a .17

Options
  • 11-08-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Nearly decided on a new rifle. Can anyone tell me the difference between a CZ 455 American and the 452/453 varmint, does anyone have either or fired either, how did you like it.

I had a look at the 455 varmint thumbhole, but the weight of it has put me off, there was no scope or mod on it and it was quiet heavy,

So i was thinking of going for either of the above in a 16inch barrel,

has anyone some advice on scopes rails and mods or any advice on the bits and pieces ill need,
    thanks ron

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The Cz 452 is a heavy barrel version of the American. As such it is heavier than the 455 American. Both are the same action, and straight buttstock. The lux etc. has that "curved" buttstock.

I've just bought a 455 thumbhole. While heavy the thumbhole allows for such a grip that the weight does not seem as bad. Also the 455 in 16", while heavy, is not as bad as the 20", and the weight seems more centralised. I;d have gone for the 16", but the dealer i ended up dealing with had none in, and i'm impatient so went with the 20".

I've a CZ picatinny rail on mine, and a set of Spotsmatch mounts which give me a good bit of clearance off the barrel. I was going to go lower in rings, but when i checked they were fine. The thing with the 455 thumbhole is the stock is a mix of both the 452 lux, and 455 American. So it comes out and curves down, but the cheek riser gives it that American straightness. Hard to explain but look at pictures and you'll ge my drift.

My scope is the Hawke Varmint SF which has a 44mm objective lense. Had i a scope with the same 25mm tube, but 50 or 56 mm objective lens then the gap between the barrel and scope would be much less, but at about 8mm i'm not concerned.

Got the receipt for mine the other day so hoping the new license will some follow.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I've called into a few dealers and only one had the cz thumb hole in stock, they all said pick one from a catalogue and they can order it,
    I'd like to have a look at others before I purchase,

Thanks for the info cass

Paul O' Halloran in Drangan had the biggest supply of CZ's i'd seen when i was going around. He had straight stocked 455, lux 452, 455 thumbhole in both 20 & 16". He was selling them like hot cakes, and even though all his 16" were sold he told me he could get me in one within 4 days. So there was one there to hold and try, and then less than a weeks wait for my own.

As said i didn't go with Paul simply because i had a deal done elsewhere as i was changing all three of my guns, but for buying straight and only the CZ i'd say he'd be your best bet. He was also the cheapest.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Cass wrote: »
    Paul O' Halloran in Drangan had the biggest supply of CZ's i'd seen when i was going around. He had straight stocked 455, lux 452, 455 thumbhole in both 20 & 16". He was selling them like hot cakes, and even though all his 16" were sold he told me he could get me in one within 4 days. So there was one there to hold and try, and then less than a weeks wait for my own.

As said i didn't go with Paul simply because i had a deal done elsewhere as i was changing all three of my guns, but for buying straight and only the CZ i'd say he'd be your best bet. He was also the cheapest.

Cass can you tell me how much you paid for your set up,
    Did you price the sako .16
    Thanks for your help

Sako .16? Do you mean the Quad? If so no. I didn't price it. Had my head set on the 455 Thumbhole.

The rifle, scope, rings, rail, mod came to €870. All brand new.

• Advertisement
Advertisement