Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blessing of the graves a disgrace

Options
  • 11-08-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I'm not overly religious but went to my first blessing of the grave and actually could t believe what happened.
    9 souls laid to rest in flemington grave yeard.
    About 80 people attended today at 4 as advertised .no priest.the mass was on loud speaker in the other grave yard.but the speakers didnt work and noone could hear a thing. So we just waited an hour and 20 mins and the priest arrived apologised and took out a squeeze bottle of holy water,sprayed a sign of the cross with it over the grave mumbled something ? And nearly forgot one grave only a women pointed it out.i actually think he blessed a non christen grave.it had no cross or other religious symbol on it .
    And left 3 minutes he was there.no prayers no nothing.
    Some said maybe when it gets bigger they will do it propey.em these souls deserve the same ,their family's deserve the same respect .
    It was a disgrace .many people had come from up north traveled for hours with kids in the car to stand and listen to crackling sound in the wind and a prayer or whatever was said done in a hurried manner.
    Now maybe that's a rant but if your going to do something do it right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Very slack. This is how zombie apocalypses start...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

endacl wrote: »
    Very slack. This is how zombie apocalypses start...

No now stop I'm been for reall it was not nice.
    It's too late to mention zombies .ill have nightmears

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

What's the point of the blessing of the graves anyway? I generally go with my dad to keep him company, but I don't understand it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

jamie72 wrote: »
    What's the point of the blessing of the graves anyway?

I think it comforts people who have loved ones buried in the cemetery. It's not everyone's cup of tea but for some people it's important.

Cathy that sounds very slapdash and must have upset people.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What's the point of the blessing of the graves anyway? I generally go with my dad to keep him company, but I don't understand it?

They won't go to Heaven unless their grave is blessed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sounds very slapdash Cathy, feel sorry for the families.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Warnings for endacl and tayto lover. Uncivil and unhelpful posts are not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

You could contact Fingal county council here http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil to report the matter to them.

That sounds horrible OP, that should not have happened.

I think it comforts people who have loved ones buried in the cemetery. It's not everyone's cup of tea but for some people it's important.

Cathy that sounds very slapdash and must have upset people.

I'm not complaining or anything, just wondering if there's a reason behind the tradition. Something from the bible or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

You could contact Fingal county council here http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil to report the matter to them.

To quote Father Ted

"That would an ecumenical matter"

Lord help us if FCC decided to do religion!

Cathy sad fact is that NCD is experiencing a shortage of priests, the mass goers here will be able to point out the parishes just getting by on one priest. Maybe if he is lucky he will be helped out by a priest that should have been retired years ago. Looking at FCC list of Masses for the Graveyards I can't see Flemington Graveyard, perhaps an oversight
    August 2013

Saturday 03rd August 8.00 P.M. Chaplemidway Prayers
    Sunday 04th August 12.00 P.M. Kileek Prayers
    Sunday 04th August 7.00 P.M. Grallagh Prayers
    Sunday 11th August 4.00 P.M. Balscadden Mass
    Sunday 11th August 7.00 P.M. Clonmethan Prayers
    Thursday 15th August 7.00 P.M. Garristown Prayers
    Thursday 15th August 7.00 P.M. Ballyboughal Prayers

• Advertisement

To quote Father Ted

"That would an ecumenical matter"

Cathy sad fact is that NCD is experiencing a shortage of priests, the mass goers here will be able to point out the parishes just getting by on one priest. Maybe if he is lucky he will be helped out by a priest that should have been retired years ago. Looking at FCC list of Masses for the Graveyards I can't see Flemington Graveyard, perhaps an oversight

Well it's a new small grave yard.i thi k they should have been done another day .
    I will contact Fingal cc and let them know the speakers wherent working thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm not complaining or anything, just wondering if there's a reason behind the tradition. Something from the bible or something.
    Ask in the Christianity forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Is it the council that organise it or the church? Not in any way religious myself, so I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It'd be a Church matter, don't know why the Council would have involvement.

OP if you do want to pursue the matter, then the relevant parish priest is the person to write/speak to.

Failing that, to go a step further you could write to the Archbishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I suggested the county council because they are responsible for the cemeteries themselves, presumably not the masses but they might be able to point you in the direction of who was responsible for what yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

cathy01 wrote: »
    Well it's a new small grave yard.i thi k they should have been done another day .
    I will contact Fingal cc and let them know the speakers wherent working thanks

Do you know if they announced at mass that morning that the Blessing of the Graves were on that afternoon at Flemington?

Well I rang both Fingal coco and Priest. He said that he told people that there was no mass or prayers etc at fleminton. He said it was known that the mass was at balscadden. Now I have to say that the other 80 people attending the grave yard didn't hear this information either. He also said that the speakers wouldn't work anyway.Plus there is a shortage of priests.
    Fingal coco said its nothing to do with them but they didn't have it on the list to be done at all.
    In my eyes I think both parish and Fingal coco made an oversite and just didn't bother to include the Flemington Graveyard. For what ever reason.
    Very disrespectful to the family's involved.

That's a pity Cathy. I'd have thought that at least the priest would have said he'd organise something.

Why do you keep referencing the council? Why would they be involved in something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Think your fairly spot on here. Re-visit this in 10 years and we could have a link via big screen to cemeteries.
    Why do you keep referencing the council? Why would they be involved in something like this?

Out of respect, which some still have for these occasions, they would clean up the graveyard and its environs.

There is usually a very large crowd for the blessing in Rush and people often travel quite a distance. I know people who come from Galway, Tipperary and Tyrone to the Rush blessing in Whitestown

• Advertisement

Because fingal coco own the graveyard .it doesn't matter what religion what you are you still need to be buried .

Because fingal coco own the graveyard .it doesn't matter what religion what you are you still need to be buried .

Also to purchase a grave cost about 2k payable to Fingal coco

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Also to purchase a grave cost about 2k payable to Fingal coco

They don't run religious services though which is what the blessings of the grave is. That's the responsibility of the specific religious organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Was this the first time the blessing was on at this cemetary?
    Not an excuse, I know, but maybe it was oversight from the governing parish...
    So hopefully it will be addressed next year!

sNarah wrote: »
    Was this the first time the blessing was on at this cemetary?
    Not an excuse, I know, but maybe it was oversight from the governing parish...
    So hopefully it will be addressed next year!

Yes, it was the first time.I do think it was an oversite. A shame for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

slightly different to the blessings but how do peoplefins getting access to flemington graveyard?anytime i drive past it it seems to be locked up

rpurfield wrote: »
    slightly different to the blessings but how do peoplefins getting access to flemington graveyard?anytime i drive past it it seems to be locked up

The big gate does be shut , but there is a gate you can walk in .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yes but organising a priest to sprinkle water over the graves and say some prayers has absolutely nothing to do with Fingal County Council, nor should it ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I disagree. If any organization wishes to hold a service or commemoration on FCC property, they should seek approval from FCC first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I disagree. If any organization wishes to hold a service or commemoration on FCC property, they should seek approval from FCC first.

Yes, you're right actually. However, having given approval FCC should not be held responsible for anything else, the quality of the priest, who could or could not hear etc...

Advertisement