Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blessing of the graves a disgrace

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd say you'd probably want to give the Bishop a ring about that one.
    I don't think the council would have much control over the quality of a ceremony.

Religious issues aside, it's basically a non-profit organisation providing a service free-of-charge to the parishioners who can make donations if they wish.

The county council would only be involved in maintaining physical infrastructure and that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect the council would be quite bemused at even being contacted about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

The priest gives actually i think he said recieves a list if all the graveyards and flemington wasn't on it.
    I contacted Fingal coco because they own the grave yard and I wanted them to know the speaker system wasn't working.
    To be fair the priest did say sorry.fingal did say nothing to do with them.
    I'd live to k ow who purchased the system, who's responsible for its up keep.its in Fingal coco property so I assumed them.
    Anyway I met on the girls who's husband is buried there and told her.
    She had been told no flowers are to be out on the grave as in planted sorry.sime people have pot plants sitting in the grave .somw have lot plants buried into the grave ,like sunken in if that makes sence.
    She had gone up and her husbands grave was bare as she was instructed then she seen all the other graves ,some with flowers planted as in seeded and got upset.she called her daughters and they all rallied aroun to get wreaths etc.
    I think it's a bit well , unclear .
    Flower over grave
    Flowers in grave
    No flowers at all.
    I don't understand my self but I believe it's something to do with the maintance if the yard.they want to be able to just have grass .
    Anyway.my 10 year old daughter had a tiny sandstone cross with " grandad" written on it with green maker :-) i couldn't say no to we so just put it on the grave .what an you ?
    Anyway thanks all for the replies .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

cathy01 wrote: »
    The priest gives actually i think he said recieves a list if all the graveyards and flemington wasn't on it.
    I contacted Fingal coco because they own the grave yard and I wanted them to know the speaker system wasn't working.
    To be fair the priest did say sorry.fingal did say nothing to do with them.
    I'd live to k ow who purchased the system, who's responsible for its up keep.its in Fingal coco property so I assumed them.
    Anyway I met on the girls who's husband is buried there and told her.
    She had been told no flowers are to be out on the grave as in planted sorry.sime people have pot plants sitting in the grave .somw have lot plants buried into the grave ,like sunken in if that makes sence.
    She had gone up and her husbands grave was bare as she was instructed then she seen all the other graves ,some with flowers planted as in seeded and got upset.she called her daughters and they all rallied aroun to get wreaths etc.
    I think it's a bit well , unclear .
    Flower over grave
    Flowers in grave
    No flowers at all.
    I don't understand my self but I believe it's something to do with the maintance if the yard.they want to be able to just have grass .
    Anyway.my 10 year old daughter had a tiny sandstone cross with " grandad" written on it with green maker :-) i couldn't say no to we so just put it on the grave .what an you ?
    Anyway thanks all for the replies .

If the audio system was a fixed system and not connected as part of a Church building then it is likely that the organisation responsible is the relevant cemetery trust (similar to Glasnevin and Dardistown for example) or the local parish management. It would be the local parish office if it was connected to a church building, but don't think there is a church building at this particular site (?)

As to the issue of flowers, yes unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your stance) most new cemeteries are developed as "lawn cemeteries" and are usually managed by a trust. Technically no flowers are allowed on the grave itself, except for on the headstone base. As you correctly intimated this is for easy management and upkeep of the grounds. A ride on lawnmower or tractor can simply drive along the graves cutting the grass.

It's a good simple solution I suppose, but I prefer older style graveyards myself. For some reason I also much prefer to use the word graveyard as opposed to cemetery. Just realised that. Weird.

Again Dardistown out by the airport is prime example of a lawn cemetery graveyard

Advertisement