Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay more rent for ensuite??

Options
  • 11-08-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

In your experience, is it the done thing for the person with the ensuite paying a little more in rent?
    The situation would be a two bedroom- both double- apartment where the second person would have sole use of the main bathroom.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Interesting one. As you basically pointed out, there is a bathroom each, so the idea of paying extra for "your own bathroom" is pretty much negated.

The only reason I'd see the point in this would be if the ensuite didn't have a facility that the the main bathroom did and this facility was used by the other person in addition to their en suite. But it'd be a stretch.

Once there is more than once person sharing a bathroom though, ensuite becomes a premium priviledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In that case I wouldn't really consider it justifiable to pay extra for the ensuite. It would depend on how often visitors were over and whether they would use the main bathroom or the ensuite, depending on who they were visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

It's a private, non-shared bathroom. Of course, you'll be expected to pay slightly more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

It depends if the person with the en-suite vistor's would be using the main bathroom as well. If not then both bathrooms are Private non-sharing so i think the rent would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The problem with this is that the main bathroom will always be a shared bathroom, especially when visitors are over, for parties etc. The en-suite will always be private (unless you give express permission for others to use it, which in fairness is unlikely). There is also simply the convenience factor of having an en-suite in the room, compared to having to go out in the hall. All other things being equal (ie with two rooms of otherwise equal size) I dont think its unfair to expect a small premium to be paid for having an en-suite in the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In the past having rented with friends it was the done thing that the ensuite commanded more rent.

Never had issues accepting that. As its additional private space in the dwelling.

So yes i would think you pay for it if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Even though it's a 2 bed apartment and you will each have your own bathroom I would definitely expect the person with the en-suite to pay more. Their private living space is bigger and the rent should reflect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I moved into a house share where there was an en-suite, and a room with a separate bathroom. Needless to say, I wanted the en-suite, as did the other person, and in the end we tossed for it, and I lost and got the separate bathroom. Despite everyone agreeing that my bathroom would be a separate bathroom, whenever someone was over, they used my bathroom. When her with the en suite had her family to stay for a week, they all used my bathroom. Its been 6 years i should probably get over it.

If I was setting out the prices, I would say the en-suite is worth more and so would charge a little more for it.

Its very simple, ask a tenant, "Which would you prefer the en-suite or a separate bathroom?" 90% will say the en-suite. Ask them why and they will say "Because its better". So charge more for the better one.
    listermint wrote:
    In the past having rented with friends it was the done thing that the ensuite commanded more rent.

Never had issues accepting that. As its additional private space in the dwelling.

Thats why you refer to your former house mates as friends, and why I refer to them as former housemates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

From my own experience people with the en-suite usually pay about e10 extra a week, reducing your own rent by the same amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

In most cases the bedroom with the en suite is the master bedroom, so is often bigger, with better wardrobe space as well.
    Even if that's not the case the tenant with the ensuite should pay a premium IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement