Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't do a History essay!

• 11-08-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello I'm Ryan, well since the results are approaching very soon naturally i'm and we all for the most part are thinking back on how we did in each exam one which has me particularly nervous is History higher level as i missed out in one complete 20% question beside a 1/2 on it in the last 4mins of the exam was the Irish history section by the way and im wondering how possible is it to still pass this exam despite this BIG slip up on my part. just to give you an indication of what my history standard is at I received a B3 in the mocks. I think the base of the question is how easy/hard is it to fail an exam in such occurrence and if im close to the 40% mark will the go through my essays again with the intention of getting me a pass?

Thanks in advance
    rk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

I'm in the same boat as you, totally ****ed up my timing.

The RSR is about 20% isn't it? I hear they are marked well, and they should be considering how long we had to work on/check over them etc. With that into account, and the document based Q a 40% is easily achieved despite missing out on a question, provided that the others were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ryank9

Ohh i hate to sound mean but im kind of glad im not on my own haha. Yeah i think every section is worth as a whole 100 points or 20% so yeah hopefully i think i'll be praying to someone or something at some point over the next few days! hopefully we'll manage to pass! I think it was my negative attitude (murphys law) that caused this mess up as I had a feeling i was going to mess up atleast one exam but id rather it be another exam like even poetry in english cause part of its worth only like 13%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Ryank9 wrote: »
    Ohh i hate to sound mean but im kind of glad im not on my own haha. Yeah i think every section is worth as a whole 100 points or 20% so yeah hopefully i think i'll be praying to someone or something at some point over the next few days! hopefully we'll manage to pass! I think it was my negative attitude (murphys law) that caused this mess up as I had a feeling i was going to mess up atleast one exam but id rather it be another exam like even poetry in english cause part of its worth only like 13%

There's always one! With the luck that the exam gods threw me in the English/Geography/Maths exams I knew karma would bite back, it did in History :(.

Yeah History was a bit unique. You look at it on paper and think "Great, just a document and 3 straight up questions", but then you get crappy questions and time deciding to go 3x faster in my case. I reckon the RSR will be our saving grace.

Yeah exactly unfortunately :( yeah English went well but i have a feeling it went well for most people so it be marked harder

yeah the questions were very ambiguous i thought suppose its all part of changing the leaving cert to stop people learning off heaps but it was a case of manipulating the question to suite the answer you wanted to give/do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

One question is worth 20% so that leaves 80% of the paper that you actually did. The question is, Ryank9, do you think you managed to get 50% of 80%???

• Advertisement

One question is worth 20% so that leaves 80% of the paper that you actually did. The question is, Ryank9, do you think you managed to get 50% of 80%???

That is the question ive been asking myself throughout the last few days in a way i see it like i got around 70% in mocks minus one essay is 50% that i missed out on in the real thing and i thought i improved my essay writing since the mocks but and with my project which my teacher says was up there with the top few in the class hopefully hopefully ill manage to squeeze out the pass. Ultimately ill have to wait to Wednesday to find out which is scary and i am feeling very nervous as it could be the deciding factor whether i'll be attending college or have to go through hell again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Ryank9 wrote: »
    That is the question ive been asking myself throughout the last few days in a way i see it like i got around 70% in mocks minus one essay is 50% that i missed out on in the real thing and i thought i improved my essay writing since the mocks but and with my project which my teacher says was up there with the top few in the class hopefully hopefully ill manage to squeeze out the pass. Ultimately ill have to wait to Wednesday to find out which is scary and i am feeling very nervous as it could be the deciding factor whether i'll be attending college or have to go through hell again.

Ryank9, I was messing you, I'll be very surprised if you don't at least pass, even without one fifth of the exam actually done, and I'll tell you why!

The project you submitted for your history exam, if you remember that, is more than likely going to get around 18%. That's because for the last five years, the average of every mark for the projects are... yup, 90/100. I recall reading it on examinations.ie!

So let's take the worst case scenario and we'll say you got, eh, 15% or something in the project. That leaves you needing to get 25% in the three essays other parts of the exam you did do... I think you can pull it off!

Assuming your project was of decent quality of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Honestly from what I have read there it sounds like you will scrape the pass, little bits of questions will all add up! I also believe in positive thinking :p so try to convince yourself that you have passed :D

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Honestly from what I have read there it sounds like you will scrape the pass, little bits of questions will all add up! I also believe in positive thinking :p so try to convince yourself that you have passed :D

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

what grade did you get?

• Advertisement

crow2 wrote: »
    what grade did you get?

D3 haha scraped it

Advertisement