Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Protection

Options
  • 11-08-2013 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

A few months ago, I bought a phone from a well known online retailer. It developed a fault within a week and I applied to return it and posted it back. Had to go to a PayPal claim to get my money back but that's not the point.

Today I got an email saying that someone had bought the same phone from that company and my details were in the phone. I was unable to remove them as the phone wouldn't power on. I did change my password at the time so the phone would have looked for a new password on an attempt to access private data anyway but this company were not to know that.

I am very tempted to ring tomorrow, as ignoring the total breach of data protection, it's obviously selling faulty and refurbished phones again as new. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Contact the Data Protection Commissioner:

E-Mail - info@dataprotection.ie
    Phone - 1890 252231(lo-call); 00 353 (0) 57 8684800
    Fax - 00 353 (0) 57 8684757

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Absolutely make a complaint to the DPC...this should NEVER happen.

Advertisement