Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas whats up with lawnmower

• 12-08-2013 12:20am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Dads lawn mower, 5hp B&S engine.

Starts fine, runs great for about 30 mins then he says it sounds like its starving for fuel, starts to chug and then konks out.
    Restarts fine, works for 5 mins then same issue.

He did note that he cleaned out the petrol "bowl" and it worked great for about 1 hr, then started the same again.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Sounds like the carburetor needs cleaning. It's fairly easy and loads of videos on youtube on how to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Is the fuel cap the vented variety ?

If the vent is blocked it can prevent the flow of fuel after a period of usage.

Next time it starts chugging take the fuel cap off and see if that helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sounds like the carburetor needs cleaning. It's fairly easy and loads of videos on youtube on how to do.
    Is the fuel cap the vented variety ?

If the vent is blocked it can prevent the flow of fuel after a period of usage.

Next time it starts chugging take the fuel cap off and see if that helps.

Thanks lads, will buzz him later and mention both of them to him.
    Carburetor was in my own head, I THINK he may have cleaned it out previously but I will see.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Is she running smokey before she cuts out?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I don;t think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

If it is smokey, it could be a rubber diaphragm in the carburetor. I had to do this a few years ago and it made the mower go like a train. It was B&S engine also.

Advertisement