Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Fixed Term Contract

Options
  • 12-08-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

My employer has been extending my fixed term contract for 18 months now (was only 11 months originally), and all of a sudden now, they have provided me with a new contract that I had to sign that lasts for only three months. The main worry in regards to this is it being a new fixed term contract rather than an extension.

My current contract expires on the 3rd of September and the new contract starts on the 4th of September.

I have looked over the contract and there is one new line that has me slightly worried.

"(a) No previous employment will count as continuous employment with the company"

What affect can this have in regards to my employment with the company? And also is this legal to do?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you've been getting 18-month extensions at a time.

How long have you been continuously there for?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

That's a completely preposterous clause. And doubt it's even legal. All periods of employment (even in a different job) with an individual employer are usually taken into consideration for a CID. Important thing is that your contracts are continuous. I would get legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bahamut

So you've been getting 18-month extensions at a time.

How long have you been continuously there for?

I was originally on a 11 month fixed term contract from February 2012, this has been extended in first a 6 month extension followed by a 3 month extension. Then now its not labelled as a extension, rather a full new 3 month fixed term contract. This one line was all that I could locate that had changed from my old contract to this new one.
    Vologda69 wrote: »
    That's a completely preposterous clause. And doubt it's even legal. All periods of employment (even in a different job) with an individual employer are usually taken into consideration for a CID. Important thing is that your contracts are continuous. I would get legal advice.

I have been looking online at where I can seek employee legal aid and I am unsure on who I should call to gain a answer in regards to this. Workplace Relations Customer Services @ the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation seems to be the best bet but just a little unsure.

Advertisement