Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and Ferns

• 12-08-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Was thinking about introducing some ferns into a shady north facing area in the garden, but was informed that this species of plant is poisonous to cats.

Now I know you can google such things, but was just wondering has anyone here got a cat(s) as well as some ferns in their gardens, and are there any particular variety that are ok to introduce?

We have a very cool family cat and I wouldn't want to see him getting sick, as he does like to sleep in bushes/trees/hedges etc., and always makes himself at home in any freshly dug soil or freshly introduced plants or objects in the garden!

Any and all advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

There's a bit of info here http://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/2010/12/which-house-plants-are-safe-for-cats/

Our land is littered with naturally-growing ferns and we have 5 cats - never a bother on them.

A lot of things are poisonous if consumed in high quantities but the cats know not to touch them - all I ever see them eat is grass (and birds/shrews/mice) outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Briskit

Thanks for that useful link Ever2010.

Like your cats, he's more a carnivore and doesn't really seem bothered by plants. My only concern was his tendancy to mark all new additions to the house/garden by rubbing his face up against it.

Seems there's plenty of varieties out there that won't bother him!

Advertisement