Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

feeling groggy every morning

• 12-08-2013 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    over the last month or so ive been waking up every morning feeling hungover... basically throat is dry, very tired and generally worse for wear. i dont think its a sleep issue as ive always functioned well on 6 or so hrs a night. It takes me about an hour and a coffee or two to get back to normal. It would be something to go to a doctor with if i stayed the same throughout the day but im grand after a while.
    im wonder what people could sugest for a daily supplement to start taking or if there could be an issue in my bedroom that a humidifier could help? anyway, as i say any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Stop drinking coffee, you could be addicted/dependant.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

I'd recommend making sure you're properly hydrated throughout the day and then drinking a pint of water as soon as you wake up each morning to rehydrate your system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Do you snore OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

Hi All,
    over the last month or so ive been waking up every morning feeling hungover... basically throat is dry, very tired and generally worse for wear. i dont think its a sleep issue as ive always functioned well on 6 or so hrs a night. It takes me about an hour and a coffee or two to get back to normal. It would be something to go to a doctor with if i stayed the same throughout the day but im grand after a while.
    im wonder what people could sugest for a daily supplement to start taking or if there could be an issue in my bedroom that a humidifier could help? anyway, as i say any help would be great.

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head with the humidity. I'd say the dry air in the house is to blame. If not a humidifier, then just a couple of containers of water on the windowsill, when the sun starts shining in the morning (east facing room?) it'll start to evaporate back into the air in your room. I have the same issue in winter when the heating in the house is on high, water on top of the rads helps a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks for feedback so far,
    id defo say im addicted to coffee alright, but this is only a recent state of groggyness.... a month or so and ive been drinking coffee for over 25 years. I dont snore or dont smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How many hours a night do you sleep?

What's bed time?

What do you do in the last 2 hours before bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

Hanley wrote: »
    How many hours a night do you sleep?

What's bed time?

What do you do in the last 2 hours before bed?

6-7hrs, 11.30-12am, internet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

put the internet away 1-1.5 hrs before bed. Read a book or something.

Its something i'm guilty of myself but the internet isnt a way to relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Could also be a sign you are diabetic. Go to your local chemist and do a blood sugar test, most of the decent one can do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

You could be over sleeping too. There's plenty of studies to suggest quality of sleep is far better than quantity, infact it generally shows too much sleep is counter productive.

Apparently, the 'sweet spot' for a good night's sleep is between 10pm and 5am, 4 to 6 hours in that spot. Makes sense when you consider we wouldn't have slept through the morning when we lived in the wild.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Have people missed this response?

Diabetes??! The dude needs to f*cking sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I feel groggy if I don't get 8 hours, let alone 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

What about diet? Have you changed it recently. Could also be a food intolerance?.. I wake up hungover, groggy and black under the eyes if I have a lot of dairy or a meal with a load of pasta/wheat before bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I also require 8 hours to feel properly rested. I find if I don't stick to aiming for that and instead of getting 8 hours per night, only getting 6 or 7 I will sleep very late on a Saturday to make up for it. Of course the downside to that is Saturday is gone and the baby doesnt get washed.

If you find yourself on the internet alot before you go to bed, you should consider installing a program called Flux. It adjust the hue on your computer monitor to match the time of day and is meant to be better for your eyes and sleep patterns. More information on it here

You say you feel hungover in the morning but you dont mention alcohol in your opening post. Are you drinking regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

It could quite possibly be the humidity. I wake up the same almost every day I sleep in my own room upstairs, where air flow is poor, yet when I sleep in the guest room downstairs, I wake up feeling fine. Unfortunately, I like my room too much to move down permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It could quite possibly be the humidity. I wake up the same almost every day I sleep in my own room upstairs, where air flow is poor, yet when I sleep in the guest room downstairs, I wake up feeling fine. Unfortunately, I like my room too much to move down permanently.

Open the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

syklops wrote: »
    Open the window.

It's a velux window, which is always on air-lock and open when possible but I can't have it open most nights or when I'm away- for obvious reasons. Air-lock makes it better but it's not a great solution to the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you can't leave a window open at night, try and leave it open for about two hours before you go to bed and try to get as much fresh air into the room as possible.

You could also leave the bedroom door open if you don't do so already.

Advertisement