Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafton Street Resurfacing - Progress to date

Options
  • 12-08-2013 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Was in Grafton Street yesterday and saw the first bit of the "disimprovements project" now visible.

Only the centre part of the street is finished and only for the section of Grafton Street from South King Street to Chatham St.

The new surface is light grey in colour and full of stains and other dirty marks.

The edge of the street (i.e. where once there would have been footpaths) still has the existing distinctive red and white brick paving that Dublin City Council seemed incapable of maintaining.

All in all, the top of Grafton Street is now in a bit of a mess as we enter into the second half of August.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Still can't believe they're getting rid of the red stone.

heartbroken2k12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Ernest wrote: »
    The new surface is light grey in colour and full of stains and other dirty marks.

DCC said two weeks ago that when the entire street is finished, they're going to clean away all the dirt and stains and put a protective layer on top to keep it looking clean. It seems odd to do it that way but I guess there must be a good reason.
    The edge of the street (i.e. where once there would have been footpaths) still has the existing distinctive red and white brick paving that Dublin City Council seemed incapable of maintaining.

The red bricks had an estimated 20 year life time but were put down 30 years ago. I guess this would contribute to the almost daily maintenance that is required.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Unfortunately the red bricks on the side and the new surface are not exactly blended seamlessly together either, I have seen some messy, lumpy bits of tar. It looks dreadful, it's actually quite disappointing that a) they decided to do this at the height of tourist season and b) that they are doing it in bits and pieces; middle bit by bit until they get the whole way down the street (I assume), then something will have to be done with the sides and presumably cleaning the whole thing once finished will be more disruption. For a street of it's size they are making a meal of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well the only option is to do it in bits and pieces, doing it all in one go would seriously disrupt the street and the shops are barely hanging on as it is. I agree the grey stones look awful at the minute, was hoping cleaning and surfacing was the plan- glad to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

While it's sad to see the red brick go I do think they're doing a decent job paving it under difficult conditions. They've already started doing the side, so it's not being left until last. That's the hardest part as they have to temporarily block access to the retail units. Timing is key there.

If they waited until later in the year they'd be up against fewer daylight hours and more rain so now is the time to do it. I doubt it has put any dent into the tourism.

I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Looks like a horrible cheap job to me. Initially I thought they were just laying foundations. I'll only believe that it will ever stay clean when I see it.

They also made a mess of the paving in front of the National Concert Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Is anybody actually pleased with the new surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If it ends up looking like Mary Street. Then it will be awful.

Because that always looks stained and filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Passenger wrote: »
    Is anybody actually pleased with the new surface?

Is anyone ever pleased with a 1/4 painted wall or 1/4 laid patio . O'Connell St and Henry St both looked poor as they were being laid .

Is anyone ever pleased with a 1/4 painted wall or 1/4 laid patio . O'Connell St and Henry St both looked poor as they were being laid .

I meant are people pleased with the actual surface in general, not the fact that it's partially complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I meant are people pleased with the actual surface in general, not the fact that it's partially complete.

I was referring to the surface too . It's very hard to judge the surface till it's completed .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

They still do,the stone they've used for paving those streets are the most generic and cheerless slabs you could imagine.

Not to mention being dangerous in the rain,which isn't the most practical choice of slabs in a country which never stops raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

They still do,the stone they've used for paving those streets are the most generic and cheerless slabs you could imagine.

Not to mention being dangerous in the rain,which isn't the most practical choice of slabs in a country which never stops raining.

I hope they're better than the white tiles that are currently being pulled up, lethal in the rain, many a slip I've had on them, thankfully always caught myself in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I will really miss the red bricks. I've been passing up and down Grafton Street a good bit the summer and every time I do, I think of how it will look with the new grey tiles. Dull, dreary and lifeless.

The red gave the street character and I feel this will be lacking when the grey tiles are fully introduced.

I agree about those white tiles. Many times, on North Earl Street and Henry Street, I have nearly gone flying. They are lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

as much as i love hating on the city council, you guys should give them a break.
    The old surface was in a bad condition and they were liable if people tripped and injured themselves. I believe Cork has had a number of lawsuits go against them in the past for this.
    Sure they could have picked better slabs but i guess these are cheap?

You cannot fault them for doing it in sections. It's hard enough to walk down the street when there's no work ongoing. Could you imagine it if they closed 90% of the street? Besides, they are taking a break for Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

You have to remember that several HGVs use the street (early in the morning) and the traditional red brick were not up to it.

They did it in stages to try and have a minimum impact on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pang wrote: »
    I will really miss the red bricks. I've been passing up and down Grafton Street a good bit the summer and every time I do, I think of how it will look with the new grey tiles. Dull, dreary and lifeless.

The red gave the street character and I feel this will be lacking when the grey tiles are fully introduced.

I agree about those white tiles. Many times, on North Earl Street and Henry Street, I have nearly gone flying. They are lethal.
    It'll be like a step back in time when its finished. Like walking down a B&W photo of Grafton St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I also think it needs more colour, but no one can seriously be suggesting retaining the original scheme? Come on, let's at least move on for the sake of moving on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

1377965350939.jpg

WTF, they're installing these nasty things either side of the street! :eek:

http://www.archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=5308&start=300#p117570

• Registered Users Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh dear lord. I thought the new paving looked well to a degree, but it's very plain. I'll miss the red.

But these yolks? Eugh! No thanks. Are they seriously going to go the whole way down the street?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What the hell are those things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Baseball bat bollards...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

Bollock destroyers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

They are there to be driven into, they have to keep the maintenance team ticking over!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Contemporary street furniture really doesn't have a place on Grafton St. They get away with it on Henry st because it's long, and terminated by the ultimate in 'modern' street furniture, the Spire. But Grafton st winds and narrows itself at various places and is bookended by the Fussilers arch and Trinty College - two old peices of heritage that should be respected.

Anyway, whoever has the contract for bollards in this city must be doing very well for themsleves

Hhhmm... Well on the plus side at least Dublin CC are sourcing them from an Irish company. :o

Seriously though, is there any public consultation on developments such as these? All they have to do is read a thread like this or archiseek to confirm that the general public is not particularly satisfied with any aspect of the street relaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Hhhmm... Well on the plus side at least Dublin CC are sourcing them from an Irish company. :o

Seriously though, is there any public consultation on developments such as these? All they have to do is read a thread like this or archiseek to confirm that the general public is not particularly satisfied with any aspect of the street relaying.

I don't mind it. At some point we need to progress. We cannot keep maintaining the look of an old street. At some point it becomes too expensive or impossible.

I enjoy complaining about the DCC but i don't see what they're doing that's so unforgivable here. I would like to see new rules in place for buskers. The street is so hard to walk down

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

The new pavement looks horrible I think they will have to re do it.

Advertisement