Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Livarno Lux Solar LED Floodlight

Options
  • 12-08-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the offer from Lidl next Monday the 19th of August...

Looks like a good alternative to a halogen floodlight for the back garden...

Mains-free and energy efficient lighting technology
    Pivotable infrared motion sensor with 12m capture range, 180º detection angle
    23 x 18 x 14cm
    Weather-resistant and splashproof with sensor controlled area spotlight with 80 powerful LEDs
    3 year guarantee, price per set

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-95AF2F7C-D13DC2FA/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_34086.htm

Would be great to get some opinions...thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I found your thread by googling the very same thing. I have 16 500W floodlights all around the house and whenever a stray cat comes into my garden its costing a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

I found your thread by googling the very same thing. I have 16 500W floodlights all around the house and whenever a stray cat comes into my garden its costing a fortune!

Your house sounds like a fortress!!!

I think ill give this a go next Monday... hopefully it will be strong enough to light up my back garden...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to Electrical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

rochestown wrote: »
    Your house sounds like a fortress!!!

I think ill give this a go next Monday... hopefully it will be strong enough to light up my back garden...

Dont be too surprised if the light is only a tad stronger than a solar garden light.

Thats all it will be really and it wont last all night either,especially in wintertime.

If you want to do it propperly,then get a mains powered PIR installed and 1 or 2 outdoor mains LED lights,that will actually light up a garden area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

paddy147 wrote: »
    Dont be too surprised if the light is only a tad stronger than a solar garden light.

Thats all it will be really and it wont last all night either,especially in wintertime.

If you want to do it propperly,then get a mains powered PIR installed and 1 or 2 outdoor mains LED lights,that will actually light up a garden area.

For me its not about lighting up the garden all night, I just want it to come on like a typical security light when it senses movement. It is far far brighter than a solar garden lamp. Had a look online at other brands and they claim outputs of just under 1000 lumens.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I was thinking of getting one of these as well. 80 leds, I imagine would be significantly brighter that a typical garden solar light. Because of the sensor it wouldn't be on all the time. Solar panel looks to be a decent size. It would be great to hear from someone who has something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Anyone get this? Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Very disappointing - bringing back the two i bought - there is no comparison to the light off a halogen floodlight...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Very disappointing - bringing back the two i bought - there is no comparison to the light off a halogen floodlight...

Thanks for the heads up. Won't bother with it at all so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I had a funny feeling allright.;):pac:

There is no substitue for a propper mains wired PIR and 1-2 outdoor LED lights.

You get the propper light you need,without the huge use of power and big leccy bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I got one these and am very happy with it. Obviously it's not comparable to a halogen floodlight, I didn't expect it to be. I've mounted it at a height of about 2.5m on the back gable of the garage and it lights up an area of roughly 6-8m square nicely. It's not a subsitute for an electric flood light, but a perfect solution for an area where I didn't need light badly enough to go to the hassle of bringing power to the area.
    The big question now is how will it perform in winter. Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AndyT8

I am also very happy with the solar powered LED PIR spotlight I got for £29.99 in Lidl in England back in August. Been outside on a telegraph pole with the panel on the south side and the light illuminates our back lawn quite easily. The PIR can be swiveled 90deg to left or right if needed. I have ours set to pick us up as we walk out to the back lawn. Illuminates at least 10 x 15 yd lawn and washing line etc and can easily see cat or dog that sets it off. Being PIR turns off soon after movement stops (about 30sec - adjustable) and even now we are in dark November winter nights its never gone flat on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Read this thread due to the offer being on again.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=11444

Is the general consensus so to stay away and go with proper mains wired PIR and floodlights?
    Is there a big cost differential?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the offer from Lidl next Monday the 19th of August...

Looks like a good alternative to a halogen floodlight for the back garden...

Mains-free and energy efficient lighting technology
    Pivotable infrared motion sensor with 12m capture range, 180º detection angle
    23 x 18 x 14cm
    Weather-resistant and splashproof with sensor controlled area spotlight with 80 powerful LEDs
    3 year guarantee, price per set

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-95AF2F7C-D13DC2FA/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_34086.htm

Would be great to get some opinions...thanks in advance...

Well those links are not working for me, i looked on the site and they are on offer for the 18th of aug not the 19th, none of them are floods

So I don't know what I'm looking at, but lights with 80 LEDS have a huge fall off in light levels IMHO.

Individual LEDs degrade and some just blow.

I'd stay away from high street sensors and LEDs to be honest I don't think its a good deal and I think they will work for a while before degrading at an alarming rate

You need to know the lumen maintenance factor for LEDs, if is was say LM70 over three years that means in three years it will be 70% as "bright"

If it does not have this factor then its most likely a cheapo fitting that you will be replacing soon IMHO, so you need to add in the cost of replacement against your saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

peadar76 wrote: »
    I got one these and am very happy with it. Obviously it's not comparable to a halogen floodlight, I didn't expect it to be. I've mounted it at a height of about 2.5m on the back gable of the garage and it lights up an area of roughly 6-8m square nicely. It's not a subsitute for an electric flood light, but a perfect solution for an area where I didn't need light badly enough to go to the hassle of bringing power to the area.
    The big question now is how will it perform in winter. Time will tell
    how did it work last winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

GoodLord wrote: »
    how did it work last winter?

I'd like to know as well as they have them in again at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Was just looking at one there the led lifespan is supposed to be 20000hours. Whether that's per led or for all 80, whi knows?!:rolleyes:

Whether that's per led or for all 80, whi knows?!:rolleyes:

Same thing.

Advertisement