Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording nuisance minors

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I find myself caught in 2 minds on this one. On one hand I can see it is annoying you whereas on the other I think the kids should have a right to play in the open spaces (whay else are they for after all).

It is a shame that private apartments do not have the play areas that you see in so many of the council flat complexes.

There you go ,
    The kids have a right to play house rules or not,
    they live there too especially if its day time and its decent weather ,
    Telling another tenant there kids shouldnt play in the own complex is childish in itself in my opinion ,
    This is why I hate the idea tenants can't be part of an apartment complex residents association ,
    Rather than owners only board of management it would solve a lot of misunderstanding that currently happen all over the country

Ive never heard of management seeking eviction over kids playing in there own complex ,
    Unless serious antisocial behaviour is been recorded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I find myself caught in 2 minds on this one. On one hand I can see it is annoying you whereas on the other I think the kids should have a right to play in the open spaces (why else are they for after all).

It is a shame that private apartments do not have the play areas that you see in so many of the council flat complexes.

But they are not open spaces from what I have read but a garden of sorts for residents to sit or stroll and relax in peace and quiet. having a number of noisy children or teens in this space will never end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Tempted to move at this stage, but the rent is so reasonable (and looking around, is it just me or have rents gone up??)

You need to start hounding your LL as the management company can't deal with you. Keep a record of the issues and keep passing them to your LL to pass on.
    I find myself caught in 2 minds on this one. On one hand I can see it is annoying you whereas on the other I think the kids should have a right to play in the open spaces (why else are they for after all).
    There's a park around the corner, most complexes aren't designed with children's games in mind as the complex isn't solely for children.

The builders stuck a play area onto the complex next to mine. It's been locked since the day they snuck it in. The insurance for it was way to much for the management company and the builder refuses to demolish it. So now we have a locked play area which can only be accessed by older kids for other uses.

The reason why they have play grounds in council flat areas is because the people who use it aren't the ones liable for claims, we all are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Plenty of apartment complexes do, in fact there is one about a 3 minute walk from us that has a playground. I'm pretty sure when the parents moved in there, they were informed of the compelx rules. The garden is small and well tended with shrubbery etc and really doesn't lend itself to football etc, and as I already mentioned, they are putting themselves in danger on the ramp. Much as they irritate me, I dont particularly want any of them rolling under a car. Of course a certain level of noise is to be expected, but these kids are super loud. I nearly had a nervous breakdown during my exams, and had to buy ear plugs to study with :D My OH is from Brazil and the complexes there that I saw were amazing. Huge play areas, a pool and usually a "social area" that residents can book in advance for parties etc. Noise down at ten and off at midnight but great for kids parties or BBQ's etc. Of course they pay huge maintenance fees for these facilities but definitely worth it I think :)

Gatling wrote: »
    There you go ,
    The kids have a right to play house rules or not,
    they live there too especially if its day time and its decent weather ,
    Telling another tenant there kids shouldnt play in the own complex is childish in itself in my opinion ,
    This is why I hate the idea tenants can't be part of an apartment complex residents association ,
    Rather than owners only board of management it would solve a lot of misunderstanding that currently happen all over the country

Ive never heard of management seeking eviction over kids playing in there own complex ,
    Unless serious antisocial behaviour is been recorded

Yes they have a right to play, and I believe that is not being disputed. But the rules say they are supposed to be supervised. Even overlooking that (because lets face it we would all let our kids out unsupervised while we try to get a bit of work/housework done, myself included), it's the noise levels that are the issue. Telling someone else to just deal with the noise because "they are children so deal with it" is childish imo. People should have respect for their neighbours, and if more than one person is complaining, perhaps they need to be told to keep it down a bit. The more people that are complaining, the less likely it is that someoone just "has a problem with" your kids.

Management have most definitely said they would "seek to evict" those responsible if the complaints continue. Personally, I've never heard of that either, but I'm just relaying what was said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

With regards the filming aspect...

My mother has had lots of problems over the years with antisocial behaviour from minors (more serious than what the OP describes but not enough for the Gardai to actually do anything - assuming they would anyway!)

So CCTV was installed on all corners of the house linked to a 24 hour recording system and while there's were complaints from the parents of the aforementioned little darlings, and the local cops commented on it once or twice, it's still in place and used as evidence whenever a complaint is necessary.

I agree with what people touched on above - this ridiculous (though understandable) fear that adults now have of saying anything to kids these days means that the little scrotes can pretty much get away with anything once they realise it and if the parents do nothing about it. As a result everyone else suffers, a situation that usually escalates as they get older too.

All thanks to more PC do-goodery, scare-mongering cr@p - not everyone is a potential child abuser, despite what certain sections of the media might tell you.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    With regards the filming aspect...

My mother has had lots of problems over the years with antisocial behaviour from minors (more serious than what the OP describes but not enough for the Gardai to actually do anything - assuming they would anyway!)

So CCTV was installed on all corners of the house linked to a 24 hour recording system and while there's were complaints from the parents of the aforementioned little darlings, and the local cops commented on it once or twice, it's still in place and used as evidence whenever a complaint is necessary.

I agree with what people touched on above - this ridiculous (though understandable) fear that adults now have of saying anything to kids these days means that the little scrotes can pretty much get away with anything once they realise it and if the parents do nothing about it. As a result everyone else suffers, a situation that usually escalates as they get older too.

All thanks to more PC do-goodery, scare-mongering cr@p - not everyone is a potential child abuser, despite what certain sections of the media might tell you.

True enough, though I suspect she knows she has nothing to fear on that front. In fact, she has berated them in earshot before about making noise, she knows what the problem is. I suspect the reaction is simply a manifestation of her fear that now we actually have proof, something might be done. The fact of course that she has now verbally attacked me in front of one of her children means that he will have zero respect for anyone who asks him to keep it down.

Advertisement