Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which one is the best TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Philips: I have a 2009 full HD model (42PFL8404) and the s/w hasn't been updated since 2010 so the Net TV functionality is crap. No complaints about the picture quality which is top notch, I play the sound through my AV amp.

Sony: There's a premium for the brand name but good boxes.

You can't go wrong with LG or Samsung.

When I was buying in 2009, it was down to specific models of LG, Samsung and Philips, I bought the one I did because the Philips shop in Dame St. (now closed) was giving a 4 year warranty which swung it for the Philips.

Put the model numbers and 'review' into Google and see what you come up with, make a note of the date of the review and try not to buy a box that's too old.

My tuppence worth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Gun Bob Camo Pants

coylemj wrote: »
    Philips: I have a 2009 full HD model (42PFL8404) and the s/w hasn't been updated since 2010 so the Net TV functionality is crap. No complaints about the picture quality which is top notch, I play the sound through my AV amp.

Sony: There's a premium for the brand name but good boxes.

You can't go wrong with LG or Samsung.

When I was buying in 2009, it was down to specific models of LG, Samsung and Philips, I bought the one I did because the Philips shop in Dame St. (now closed) was giving a 4 year warranty which swung it for the Philips.

Put the model numbers and 'review' into Google and see what you come up with, make a note of the date of the review and try not to buy a box that's too old.

My tuppence worth.

So which one would you recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lol, a bit out of my budget but out of the 5 I listed which one would you pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Last two will kill you on electricity bills. Middle one I can't find any decent info on, so it will most likely be the same.

So I'd pick either of the first two TV's or try to find a similarly specked LED TV.

• Advertisement

Last two will kill you on electricity bills. Middle one I can't find any decent info on, so it will most likely be the same.

So I'd pick either of the first two TV's or try to find a similarly specked LED TV.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/samsung-b7020ww-ue55b7020ww-review-49304064/

The only problem I have with the philips one is that is it too long and the hight of it is a bit short the other tv's
    The LG looks a good option but I heard that plasmas are bad ??!!
    I kind of like the samsung 55 inch but I read some reviews saying the sound in it is not that good ??!
    The last 2 I would agree with you too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So which one would you recommend

I have a TV I bought in 2009 like I said, I haven't done any research on TVs since then so what do I know about those models? Look up the reviews on the web like I advised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

I think I have the middle one, Samsung, but in a 46" LED Lcd version. Decent TV, it suffers from blooming, i.e. white pours into the blacks on a black scene. Dark scenes and shadow detail on anything bar HD isn't great. Stick on a bluray though and it shines. Sound on it is not a problem either. I'll be getting rid of it soon though, or certainly relegating to a different room. The Bezel on it is huge.
    Plasma, even a few years old over the course of a year or their lifetime will not add much to your electricity bill, in fact you probably wouldn't even notice it, you are talking double figures.
    Plasma also are not bad, in fact the top rated TV's today and even since the inception of LCD/LED TV's have always been Plasma based and probably also provide better bang for your buck. But like all things, there are rubbish Plasmas and then there are stellar Plasmas. If I were buying a TV today, at 50" or above, I would be buying a Plasma, although I'd be picky about which one.

You do realise option 2 is a 21:9 aspect TV, right? Only advantage to this is you wont get black bars in a 21:9 movie, but everything else, well Im not sure how it handles it!

• Advertisement

I kind of like the samsung 55 inch but I read some reviews saying the sound in it is not that good ??!

Sound is just fine and wont be an issue. Just remember this TV at 55" and that bezel will have the real estate of a modern 60". These were some of the first mainstream LED based LCD TV's to hit the market from memory.

I think I have the middle one, Samsung, but in a 46" LED Lcd version. Decent TV, it suffers from blooming, i.e. white pours into the blacks on a black scene. Dark scenes and shadow detail on anything bar HD isn't great. Stick on a bluray though and it shines. Sound on it is not a problem either. I'll be getting rid of it soon though, or certainly relegating to a different room. The Bezel on it is huge.
    Plasma, even a few years old over the course of a year or their lifetime will not add much to your electricity bill, in fact you probably wouldn't even notice it, you are talking double figures.
    Plasma also are not bad, in fact the top rated TV's today and even since the inception of LCD/LED TV's have always been Plasma based and probably also provide better bang for your buck. But like all things, there are rubbish Plasmas and then there are stellar Plasmas. If I were buying a TV today, at 50" or above, I would be buying a Plasma, although I'd be picky about which one.

You do realise option 2 is a 21:9 aspect TV, right? Only advantage to this is you wont get black bars in a 21:9 movie, but everything else, well Im not sure how it handles it!

''You do realise option 2 is a 21:9 aspect TV''
    Is that a bad or good thing ??

Sound is just fine and wont be an issue. Just remember this TV at 55" and that bezel will have the real estate of a modern 60". These were some of the first mainstream LED based LCD TV's to hit the market from memory.

Would you recommend the samsung 55 inch over all of the tv's I mentioned here??
    You said something about the HD in it, you mentioned it is not good ??

By the way.
    What do you think about this one
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/13516162/art/lg/55ln575s-led-television.html
    Better then the 55 inch or not ??
    You have been such a good help, I am still stressing out of which tv to buy from my options and you have minimised my stress

I am looking to use it on a sky HD box, what you think the lg 55 or the samsung
    lg would cost me 870E while the samsung would cost me 800E

Well the Samsungs you have mentioned are old, 2009 models I think, quite possibly the Sony is old too. I would view the Philips 21:9 TV as a bad buy and I don't think Philips sell them anymore, even if they were big money at the time, Im assuming the concept failed. Without delving into it too much, I think I would go for the LG on pixmania over all the TV's you mentioned. Decent bang for your buck there in real estate and a modern TV, and most modern TV's by LG, even if this is midrange, are great at HD. One thing of note with Pixmania is that a lot of their Tv's are French models, and a quick search at the end of the model number 'S' says it is indeed French, this may mean nothing and may be no different to the Irish model, which 'I think' has a V at the end, so Saorview tuners might be different, but may not also as it does say Freeview.
    Go over to Talk to > Richersounds, give them a budget and size of TV you are seeking. See what they recommend and the good folk here can then give you an independent opinion.

PS. Buying from the Internet is no problem, but I have found these days that our local shops will price match in a lot of situations, and are a million times better with returns policy and issues.

Well the Samsungs you have mentioned are old, 2009 models I think, quite possibly the Sony is old too. I would view the Philips 21:9 TV as a bad buy and I don't think Philips sell them anymore, even if they were big money at the time, Im assuming the concept failed. Without delving into it too much, I think I would go for the LG on pixmania over all the TV's you mentioned. Decent bang for your buck there in real estate and a modern TV, and most modern TV's by LG, even if this is midrange, are great at HD. One thing of note with Pixmania is that a lot of their Tv's are French models, and a quick search at the end of the model number 'S' says it is indeed French, this may mean nothing and may be no different to the Irish model, which 'I think' has a V at the end, so Saorview tuners might be different, but may not also as it does say Freeview.
    Go over to Talk to > Richersounds, give them a budget and size of TV you are seeking. See what they recommend and the good folk here can then give you an independent opinion.

PS. Buying from the Internet is no problem, but I have found these days that our local shops will price match in a lot of situations, and are a million times better with returns policy and issues.

If I ever open a electronic shop and I am looking for employees I'll know where to find some decent ones here ;)

Advertisement