Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

liffey descent entry signoff

• 12-08-2013 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi,
    i was wondering if there were any level 3 icu instructors (ideally midlands based) who frequent here that might be able to sign off a liffey descent entry form for me.
    i havent been a member of any clubs for over 20 years so am a bit out of the loop .
    After a long time away from the sport, i started back paddling a wild water boat and learning to playboat at the beginning of the summer with the intention of regaining some fitness and entering the 2014 liffey and qualifying races.
    I have really gotten into it again though and been paddling/training almost every day over the summer and have gone from being completely knackered after a 100m sprint to currently doing nightly 5 mile circuits and double at the weekends without any difficulty.
    if anyone is interested, i thing the thing that has helped me most is using a set of wing paddles
    At first i hated them as they were very different and did not feel right at all.
    My first instinct was do dump them in favour of a traditional set of racing blades but decided to persist with them as i figured that all the top k-boat guys cant be wrong.
    After watching many youtube videos, i managed to figure out the right technique and quickly adapted to them.
    I'm still not sure if they are much faster but the paddling style involves much greater use of the whole body, in particular the torso as opposed to just using the arms which means you get a much better workout.
    As i paddle mainly on an open lake, i have also felt that they are better in windy conditions than flat blades

All this has led me to bring forward my plans and i am itching to compete in this years race, but it is now too late to do any qualifiers , hence this request.

Please pm me if you can help.
    thanks
    ps i'm happy to undergo any assessment etc if required

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Consider giving your local club a call, go out with them on a trip and see if they'd be happy to sign you off. You'd be hard pressed to find somebody willing to sign you off without knowing you or your paddling ability. Plus, you may enjoy the company of a club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

is the after party any good ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

If you can make your way to Kilkenny you are welcome to join me on the water any evening, if you can paddle I'll sign you off.

Advertisement