Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iPhone5

Options
  • 12-08-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi I got a new iPhone5 last Saturday from a vodafone shop, it has since froze on me twice, once while typing a text, the other while on a call.
    My question is can I look for a replacement or do they have to send it away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

If your within the cooling off period you could probably get a refund.

Vodafone will most definitely send it to Apple for repair or you could contact Apple yourself for a replacement!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

If your within the cooling off period you could probably get a refund.

Cooling off periods have nothing to do with this situation as the OP purchased in a store.

Vodafone will most definitely send it to Apple for repair or you could contact Apple yourself for a replacement!

Personally I would contact Apple support and you will get a replacement from them directly - far better than going to vodafone or any other retailer; how apple deal with Warranty issues is quite good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The replacement is likely to be a refurbished phone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

godtabh wrote: »
    The replacement is likely to be a refurbished phone

while refurbished ... it will be spotless and fully covered by apple's warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

OP, you should try updating to the latest version of IOS before you do anything, it might resolve your issue and save you having to go through the hassle of getting the phone repaired.

your service provider won't give you a new phone, they will only send yours off to be repaired IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 brenne89

Thanks folks for info. I got onto the apple customer service and I've to reinstall the software to see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

whippet wrote: »
    while refurbished ... it will be spotless and fully covered by apple's warranty.

But not the new and unused phone the op purchased. Also the warranty has little to do with the ops statutory rights which involve the shop not apple. And asserting those rights later with some refurbished handset from apple may be difficult.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    But not the new and unused phone the op purchased. Also the warranty has little to do with the ops statutory rights which involve the shop not apple. And asserting those rights later with some refurbished handset from apple may be difficult.

The warranty will be manufacturer not retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

The warranty will be manufacturer not retailer.
    The responsibility to resolve lies with the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cerco wrote: »
    The responsibility to resolve lies with the retailer.

In reality though you're just adding a middle man, the retailer will just do what you could do directly yourself.

Apple customer service is pretty good with a direct pickup and drop off service from your home/work address.

Also with complex electronic devices with software it can just be a glitch that requires a restore/troubleshooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

In reality though you're just adding a middle man, the retailer will just do what you could do directly yourself.

Apple customer service is pretty good with a direct pickup and drop off service from your home/work address.

Also with complex electronic devices with software it can just be a glitch that requires a restore/troubleshooting.

See post #8 above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

It's brand new and hasn't worked out of the box. I'd be bringing it back to Vodafone and asking for a new one as my first option.

Most retailers will swap an item out if it's brand new. They have to give a repair OR a replacement OR a refund. Their choice. If they say they're going to send it off for repair then you have the option of doing it yourself or letting them do that (or going to the small claims court).
    If they said that to me I'd probably accept it and ask them for a phone to borrow while I don't have my phone.

The big problem is that your problem isn't easily reproducable. If you show it to somebody in a shop and it doesn't freeze then it looks like you have a perfectly working iPhone.

If I bought a new phone and a week later it was replaced with a refurbished phone I'd be asking how much my discount was going to be. Refurbished phones sell for less than new phones. They may be perfect but they sell for less. I presume you've paid full price.

Vodafone and o2 will send it to their repair company rather than swap it out. I know this from experience and from working with them day in and day out.

they very rarely provide a new phone straight away.

When they do take it for assessment, you'll be lucky to get a temporary phone too.

Advertisement