Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelteacht ? Colaiste sheosaimh

Options
  • 12-08-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm a 13 yr old girl :) (ill be 14 an my friends will be 15when we go) me and my two friends want to go to the gaelteacht next summer !
    We've heard you have to book early to get a spot especially in June which is when we want to go :) and we also take a long time to decide on things :L
    Anyone know of any good gaelteachts where you learn aload of stuff but still have great craic ?

My brother went to the older side of colaiste sheosaimh and said it was great !

I also love the sound of lurgan ?
    But do you have to pass an online test to get into it ?
    Love the sound of colaiste uisce but want to go for 3 weeks :)

We also want one where we can share a room :) thanks in advance

(We all do honours irish so we can't be too bad )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ME1181

I've been to Coláiste Sheosaimh twice and I'm going again next year as a Cúntóir (hopefully). It is definitely one of the best Gaeltachts. It is really strict but if you really want to improve your Irish, you should go to a strict Gaeltacht. All the Cúntóirí and Cinnirí are specially trained for the job unlike some Gaeltachts such as Coláiste Chiaráin. Also, it is SO much fun, best 3 weeks of the summer. As for Lurgan, it looks cool with all the songs they do but I've heard that they're not as strict and that you don't learn as much Irish. Go to Coláiste Sheosaimh, it's definitely worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Our teenagers have been to Spleodar and Uisce. Spleodar is more strict than Uisce, but they loved both places. As you have mentioned, June is usually the most popular month, in fact Spleodar give you the release date for the application forms on their website, and I can tell you, we downloaded it the same evening and posted it off the following morning.....and all the places were gone 7 days later. If you're thinking of July/August its not such a panic. In Spleodar, you are allowed one friend in the same house (not same bedroom) an in Uisce you are allowed one friend in the same bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Emmaneedshelp

Thanks guys :) anyone know the comparison of lurgan and chaimus ? :)
    Love the look of lurgan and the activities :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Hi, I just came back from 3 weeks in Colaiste Sheosaimh in June and honestly it was the best time of my life! So much more confident in speaking irish and it feels great :D Colaiste Lurgan is just using the songs to make up for their non-strict irish course ;) The principal and all the teachers in Colaiste Joe are so nice in Cúrsa A. DEFINITLEY going back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Emmaneedshelp

pizzamad wrote: »
    Hi, I just came back from 3 weeks in Colaiste Sheosaimh in June and honestly it was the best time of my life! So much more confident in speaking irish and it feels great :D Colaiste Lurgan is just using the songs to make up for their non-strict irish course ;) The principal and all the teachers in Colaiste Joe are so nice in Cúrsa A. DEFINITLEY going back :)

Did you go to carna ? I've heard so much about the older one , but nothing good about Carna ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

I Went to The older one unfortunately :( Carna is still good, its usually just 6th Class - 2nd Years and the older one is 2nd Year and up :-) Carna is still great. The interviews are simple if you just know about subjects and usual things like caitheamh aimsire ;-) Hahaha good luck :)

CARNA YOUTUBE VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJIrY7WynI

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ME1181

I forgot to say that in Coláiste Sheosaimh you can stay with up to 3 friends in the same house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Our teenagers have been to Spleodar and Uisce. Spleodar is more strict than Uisce, but they loved both places. As you have mentioned, June is usually the most popular month, in fact Spleodar give you the release date for the application forms on their website, and I can tell you, we downloaded it the same evening and posted it off the following morning.....and all the places were gone 7 days later. If you're thinking of July/August its not such a panic. In Spleodar, you are allowed one friend in the same house (not same bedroom) an in Uisce you are allowed one friend in the same bedroom.

plus 1 for Spleodar. I have been going there for years and there are strict no-english rules but you can still have the craic through Irish. If you go to Spleodar with no/little Irish by the end of the three weeks, you'll be able to converse happily. If you go for 2 years your Irish greatily improves and you'll fly it through the JC/LC orals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Spleodar application forms are now available online on their website in case anyone is interested in going next year. They fill up very quickly especially the June course.

Advertisement