Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Investment Opportunity

Options
  • 12-08-2013 1:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

Dear reader,

My name is Paddy Slattery and I'm an award winning filmmaker based in Co. Offaly, Ireland. (www.paddyslattery.com). Last year, with your help, we raised funds to make a film which is currently being Selected by film festivals worldwide and picking up award nominations. (See here for details: https://www.facebook.com/Runnershortfilm)

Well, following that successful venture, I am about to begin work on another very exciting film production titled ‘The Pilgrim’s Coat’ which will be a visual spectacle combining elements of dance, poetry and personal testimony, tied together by a dramatic visual re-imagining of a pilgrim’s journey across the beautiful druidic landscapes of Ireland.

Regardless of our previous success, we have applied for funding with the Irish Film Board and Arts Councils but once again we got turned away. So, I've decided to set up an online fundraising campaign and begin the process of looking for investors who are enthusiastic about supporting the arts and development of independent artists. People like you.

From as little as €10, you can become an integral part of making this film, plus, each and every contribution will be rewarded accordingly. Please have a look at this link and check out the great rewards available: http://www.fundit.ie/project/the-pilgrims-coat

As you'll see, our target budget is €4,000 which is relatively small but we guarantee that this film will be produced to the highest standard and will compete with the heavyweights in film festivals later this year.

If you cannot support us financially, you may know someone who may be interested, so I ask that you please share this request with your email or social-networking friends.

For those interested but have questions regarding the fundit page, please email me (films@paddyslattery.com) and we can discuss your involvement privately.

OH, One more thing… If we don’t reach the target before the deadline is up, we don’t receive any of the funding and no credit cards will be charged. One of the terms & conditions of the process I’m afraid.

Am I confident that we can reach €4,000? Absolutely!! We did it before, with your help, so I’m quietly confident we can do it again! *fingers crossed*

Fundraiser page link - http://www.fundit.ie/project/the-pilgrims-coat

My two previous short films titled ‘Runner’ and 'The Moment' won critical acclaim around the world, picking up awards along the way. The details of which can be seen here; http://www.paddyslattery.com

Many thanks for your time and if you need any more details, please don't hesitate to ask.

Paddy Slattery

536577_448905201883878_1721588481_n.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Best of luck with the project but how is it an investment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Paddy Slattery

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your kind wishes.

In reply to your question; well, if anyone invests, financially, they will receive a guaranteed material return. Unfortunately there will be no financial return unless someone was to invest a share big enough to warrant an Executive Producer credit which would entitle them to a % of financial profits, should it go on to be sold to a distributor.

I hope this answers your question and if you feel my thread title is misleading I'd be happy to alter it. I genuinely don't want to mislead anyone particularly when it comes to money.

Sincerely,

Paddy

Best of luck with the project but how is it an investment?

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your kind wishes.

In reply to your question; well, if anyone invests, financially, they will receive a guaranteed material return. Unfortunately there will be no financial return unless someone was to invest a share big enough to warrant an Executive Producer credit which would entitle them to a % of financial profits, should it go on to be sold to a distributor.

I hope this answers your question and if you feel my thread title is misleading I'd be happy to alter it. I genuinely don't want to mislead anyone particularly when it comes to money.

Sincerely,

Paddy

paddy if I go into a shop an buy a loaf of bread I don't call it an investment. I hope you get your donors but as they say on dragons den im out.

I really appreciate what you're saying Gordon, however, the film industry behaves a little differently than the loaf industry. Here's why;

If you invest in this or any production like it through crowdfunding, not only do you receive material rewards (DVD's/Posters) but they are signed by the filmmakers, plus, if you're investment is €50 or higher, your name goes on the credit roll at the end of the film. These credits and "autographs" may seem worthless to some, but to a lot of people, they have the potential to lead to a financial return and a calling card within the film industry itself, should the production and filmmakers become a success.

When Mr. Brennan and Pat the Baker make their fame and fortune, I promise you, they will not acknowledge your contribution, nor will you be in a position to profit from their success. This film, on the other hand, can open up a whole world of possibilities.... all for as little as €10. :)

Hope you're having a great day, sir.

paddy if I go into a shop an buy a loaf of bread I don't call it an investment. I hope you get your donors but as they say on dragons den im out.

When Mr. Brennan and Pat the Baker make their fame and fortune, I promise you, they will not acknowledge your contribution, nor will you be in a position to profit from their success. This film, on the other hand, can open up a whole world of possibilities.... all for as little as €10. :)

Hope you're having a great day, sir.

my day has been going well. When I "invest" in pat the baker at least I can feed my children. I can't do that with your DVD.

Anyway if you don't reach your target post again nearer the date any who knows I might just donate the €10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Rudy1968

Best of luck Paddy with the movie, don't know you but I like your attitude, I'll put in a small donation,

Thank you kindly, sir. I really appreciate it.

I really don't like trawling the internet and local communities with my begging bowl but unfortunately it's extremely difficult (practically impossible) to get funds from the actual funding bodies designed to support artists, regardless of how well you do on previous projects. So every investment (or donation) big or small really goes a long way.

Have a great evening.

Paddy

my day has been going well. When I "invest" in pat the baker at least I can feed my children. I can't do that with your DVD.

Anyway if you don't reach your target post again nearer the date any who knows I might just donate the €10

Thank you so so much!! You don't know how much this means.

My sincerest gratitude.

Paddy

Rudy1968 wrote: »
    Best of luck Paddy with the movie, don't know you but I like your attitude, I'll put in a small donation,

Hi guys,

We have had a great response so far to our fundraising campaign and are almost half way toward reaching out target of €4,000! This is awesome and for anyone reading this who may be one of our funders, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

If you haven't yet had an opportunity to read about the project and take part, please do. Your support is greatly needed!

Click here for details http://www.fundit.ie/project/the-pilgrims-coat

It only takes 2 minutes to register your name and contribute!

We only have 16 days to reach our target otherwise we will not receive anything. These are the fundit.ie rules I'm afraid and funders won't be charged.

Thank you so much for your time and hopefully your contribution also!

Paddy Slattery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Paddy

I made a considerable contribution towards one of your previous film productions but the experience was very disappointing.

Talk is cheap, and action still counts for much more than words in my book, so I will not be participating again but I wish you luck, you'll need it.

You should perhaps avoid the use of confusing terms, you are not offering any investment opportunity but actually you are seeking charitable contributions.

This is not an investment opportunity nor is there anything commercial about the proposed initiative, and why the post is on this forum is also surprising!

• Advertisement

Good evening Sonnenblumen,

I appreciate your comment in regards to the term "investment" as I have explained to the gentleman earlier on in the thread. I'd like you to refer to my explanation in order to clarify any confusion.

In response to the first part of your comment; I'm really saddened to hear of your disappointment, particularly in this way. I have been in communication with you, and every other funder, intermittently over the last year during the closing stages of our last production, and not once have you taken the opportunity to express your disappointment. My email address and both phone numbers were there for you or anyone else to contact me.

I'm not going to cower away and explain myself in private but I would like you to openly explain the reason behind your disappointment, in order for me to respond to you properly.

Furthermore; I would like to fully reimburse you immediately, so if you could privately email me with the relevant information in order for me to do so, I'd really appreciate that.

Lastly... I would just like to express my sincerest apologies to you or anyone else for any misunderstanding caused. After you have had ample time to publicly respond, I will appeal to the Boards.ie admin to take this thread down and suspend or ban my account.

Sincerely,

Paddy

Paddy

I made a considerable contribution towards one of your previous film productions but the experience was very disappointing.

Talk is cheap, and action still counts for much more than words in my book, so I will not be participating again but I wish you luck, you'll need it.

You should perhaps avoid the use of confusing terms, you are not offering any investment opportunity but actually you are seeking charitable contributions.

This is not an investment opportunity nor is there anything commercial about the proposed initiative, and why the post is on this forum is also surprising!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Good evening Sonnenblumen,

I appreciate your comment in regards to the term "investment" as I have explained to the gentleman earlier on in the thread. I'd like you to refer to my explanation in order to clarify any confusion.

In response to the first part of your comment; I'm really saddened to hear of your disappointment, particularly in this way. I have been in communication with you, and every other funder, intermittently over the last year during the closing stages of our last production, and not once have you taken the opportunity to express your disappointment. My email address and both phone numbers were there for you or anyone else to contact me.

I'm not going to cower away and explain myself in private but I would like you to openly explain the reason behind your disappointment, in order for me to respond to you properly.

Furthermore; I would like to fully reimburse you immediately, so if you could privately email me with the relevant information in order for me to do so, I'd really appreciate that.

Lastly... I would just like to express my sincerest apologies to you or anyone else for any misunderstanding caused. After you have had ample time to publicly respond, I will appeal to the Boards.ie admin to take this thread down and suspend or ban my account.

Sincerely,

Paddy

Paddy

It is necessary to have a public debate here, you know as well as I do what the issues are/were. It is sufficient to say that the communications were poorly managed, the project suffered repeated delays, and I demonstrated good patience and consideration. It would have been far nicer if your team had been more considerate of the sponsors. I would not consider a couple of emails after nearly a year as an example of being 'in communication'? In the end, I did email you to express my disappointment and it seemed you were also surprised that the 'circle had not been closed'? But to your credit when you did realise that there was a problem, you did do something about it and immediately, but only after a considerable period had elapsed.

At the outset, I was very happy to make a contribution/donate. Now I am not seeking any apology nor am I seeking any refund of my payment from you. I am not interested to make any new donation and this may be of no consequence to your current/future productions, but I would suggest that perhaps you think of it as a possible learning point and why 'customers (sponsors) vote with their feet'.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, an 'investment' involves:

- A certain amount of risk to the investor.
    - A possibility of a return or loss on the amount invested depending on the performance of the project/investment.

Your proposal offers neither, and is therefore not an investment. I suggest you use Kickstarter, plenty of people willing to part with their cash there.

Gentlemen, I appreciate your comments and feedback.

My apologies for not committing to a more thorough explanation as my internet time is currently restricted.

I will close out this thread by thanking you all for your time and thoughts. I sincerely appreciate it and intend on growing, as an artist, and a professional, from this and other experiences.

I looked for a function to close the thread but it looks like it needs to be done by an admin. (If an admin is reading this, I'd be happy for you to freeze the thread, and suspend my account)

Finally, to new readers of this thread; I would like you to refrain from considering to make a contribution to this project. I'm not using reverse-psychology. I genuinely mean what I say and will immediately revise my approach to fundraising in the future.

Sincerely,

Paddy Slattery

Advertisement