Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out

Options
  • 12-08-2013 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have completed first year of leisure management in DIT last year.
    After a long summer of thinking I've decided to drop out. How do I do this?
    I am a part if ACCESS and SUSI so do I need to let these know myself?
    Bit confused about the whole process right now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

check this link out if you want to withdraw

http://dit.ie/studentservices/registration/deferwithdraw/

and yes you would need to inform them yourself.

make sure to read the financial implications though

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Thanks a million!
    On a different note, should I or not include that I did a year of the course on my CV?

I would say yes myself...otherwise it can lead to questions

while you are still a student it might be useful if you could contact the careers service...not sure if there are around during the summer but it may be worth your while.

Deferral may also be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have completed first year of leisure management in DIT last year.
    After a long summer of thinking I've decided to drop out. How do I do this?
    I am a part if ACCESS and SUSI so do I need to let these know myself?
    Bit confused about the whole process right now!

Why dropout ? Theres no jobs around mate no opportunities for anyone without any type of higher education. Think about the long run you only have two years left. The country is crippled an less planning on emigrating i would bit the bullet for another two years imo

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Why dropout ? Theres no jobs around mate no opportunities for anyone without any type of higher education. Think about the long run you only have two years left. The country is crippled an less planning on emigrating i would bit the bullet for another two years imo

If the OP still wants the type of job where they feel this course would help then there is some sense in completing it. If their career plans have changed and they no longer have an interest in Leisure Management then they are better off dropping out and doing a course they would be happy in. The sooner this is done the better. Getting a qualification 'just to have it' is bad advice in my opinion. You should work towards a qualification that means something to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    If the OP still wants the type of job where they feel this course would help then there is some sense in completing it. If their career plans have changed and they no longer have an interest in Leisure Management then they are better off dropping out and doing a course they would be happy in. The sooner this is done the better. Getting a qualification 'just to have it' is bad advice in my opinion. You should work towards a qualification that means something to you.

+1 Especially seeing as if the OP completed this course and then moved on to what they want to do, it would be far more expensive as it's full fees the second time round.

again I would suggest using the careers service in the college (if you can).

Taking a year out and deferring until you are sure what you want to do is still an option

if you are interested in doing a different course make sure you look into transfers/advanced entry

make use of the services in the college while you still can

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

it would be far more expensive as it's full fees the second time round.

Only if the course is at a similar level. For example if you complete a lvl seven you can still qualify for a lvl eight course etc.

Do not forget that not completing a course is held against you as well - for every year you did and got a grant/fees etc for you need to complete a similar amount to qualify again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Only if the course is at a similar level. For example if you complete a lvl seven you can still qualify for a lvl eight course etc.

Do not forget that not completing a course is held against you as well - for every year you did and got a grant/fees etc for you need to complete a similar amount to qualify again.

That's what I'm saying, I wanted to leave my previous course at the end of 1st year, parents made me try to stick it out (though I get their reasoning, I knew what I wanted to do), so I had to pay full fees for first and second year of my new course. So working 30+ hours a week while studying, had a few burn outs already :(

Advertisement