Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss is taking the piss

Options
  • 12-08-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have multiple issues here and not sure how to approach them. I'm actively searching for new jobs so fingers crossed something comes through.

My boss is related the to me. Best to get that out of the way first.

- He's not coming into work some days or for only a couple of hours at a time. He owns the business and is meant to take an active role here. Repairs, orders and all behind the scenes work.

- Turning up hungover and late or missing days and call outs (we offer repair/maintenance service.)

- Not paying wages on time or correctly. In some instances I have had to wait 2.5 weeks to get my wages that are meant to be issued weekly. Happened again this week.

- Orders not being done on time, so repairs are delayed where 3-4 day turnaround becomes several weeks in some cases. Abuse then from customers, naturally I can empathize with their frustration as I'm in the same boat.

- My wages have been paid at an incorrect hourly rate for a few months now. I calculated about €800 gross pay I'm owed. Brought to his attention 2 months and he said it was being looked after. Still nothing and I have said it in between multiple times.

- There is outstanding money owed to revenue and suppliers that is being chased up and I'm worried that it could close the business down in future.

Basically my reputation locally also is being impacted by delays for jobs as a result of some issues raised above. People are asking me whats happening and I'm not in a position to saay or turn the work away either. Just apologize and say it won't happen again.

Financially I'm not in a position to walk away from here without work lined up. Tbh I'm a nervous wreck at the moment from stress. I don't know who's going to come in shouting about stuff not being done or whatever problems may have happened. This is happening every day. I can't even do my work as I should as orders aren't being fulfilled in time so I'm left idle. Or then the othe4 end of the spectrum a buildup of jobs and parts arrive,I have say 15 jobs to complete. Usually get 3-6 a day done depending on the circumstances. However all 15 clients are told their job is next in line and will be done on that day. Impossible to do obviously and I'm being pressured into hurrying delicate work where expensive mistakes could occur. Unfortunately these mistakes have happened a couple of times.

I really don't know what to do as I've tried talking about all of the above problems with him and gotten no where, just assurances that its being looked after and it'll be okay. I can't walk away as I wouldn't qualify for social welfare immediately and my outgoings are holding me back.

Can anyone suggest what I should do here or even point in the direction someone to speak to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ouch. That's the real downside of working in a family business. Sounds like it's screwed, and he knows it, just waiting for a creditor to pull the plug on him.

Is there anyone else in the family who could talk to him, and help him to see that he's hurting you as well?

Do you have any feeling for whether the businesss is salvagable? (Realising that you may not have enough information to know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Contact this crowd and they should be able to advise you on what to do etc.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My boss is related the to me. Best to get that out of the way first.

- He's not coming into work some days or for only a couple of hours at a time. He owns the business and is meant to take an active role here. Repairs, orders and all behind the scenes work.
    Is he immediate family, blood relative, or an in-law? The wages thinks smells of company going down the drain, so maybe look for any work other than what you're in now, as it's only a matter of time before the current job hits the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

The boss in question is clearly burned out.

OP: if you have spotted the problem, why not take part in a solution? If you are pro-active about it and will succeed, you may turn the business around.

I suggest: do a role swap. Let someone else do his job and assign him to some lower grade task.

Alternatively, go to your local enterprise board and consult them for help. Sometimes, the only way is to get outside advice.

Good luck!

Advertisement